[comp.dcom.lans] Accessing a DOS disk from unix over ethernet

jim@crom2.uucp (James P. H. Fuller) (05/01/91)

in comp.protocols.tcp-ip robert@swanee.ee.uwa.oz.au (Roberto Togneri)
writes:

> Is it possible to transfer files to and from a PC from the unix side?
> We have PC-NFS but this only allows transfers to be made from the PC side.
>
> Can some sort of program be run on the PC that would allow a unix host to
> mount a hard disk on a PC? We have a Magneto-Optical-device on one
> of our PC's which allows up to 1.2 Gb of storage. It would be marvellous
> if this could be accessed from a unix host either for users or even just
> for backups. At the moment it can only be used for archival purposes.

     This question is of general interest.  If anyone knows a good answer,
PLEASE respond to the newsgroup!

     We're trying to use a CD-ROM reader under Interactive Unix 2.2 without
much success.  ISC doesn't know how to mount ISO-9660 CD-ROMS as Unix file-
systems (though I hear SunOS can mount them as type hsfs, envy envy.)  The
particular CD-ROM drive/card we have uses DMA so it can't be registered in
VP/ix as a DDA device, and though it could conceivably be registered as an
IEM device this requires an "installable emulation module" (ISC-speak for
a device-specific piece of software to integrate the device into VP/ix)
and though such a thing may exist for our (Hitachi/scsi) combo we certainly
don't have one.

     So Unix is out and VP/ix is out.  Our next thought was to run the CD-ROM
off an old DOS box and network it to the Unix machine, which brings us to
Dr. Togneri's question.  Is it possible to have a resource on the dinky little
DOS machine and access it from the Unix end of the network?  There are two
levels of access:

    1) OS-level -- turn the drive on, get a directory of what's on it, copy
       files to the Unix machine's HD.

    2) Application-level -- run the CD-ROM's (DOS-specific) searching/retrieval
       software *on the DOS machine* and get the output over to the Unix side.

Thanks very much for anyone's bright ideas.

------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------
 crom2 Athens GA Public Access Unix  |  i486 AT, 16mb RAM, 600mb online
                                     |  AT&T Unix System V release 3.2
 Molecular Biology                   |  Tbit PEP 19200bps  V.32  V.42/V.42bis
 Population Biology                  |
 Ecological Modeling                 |  Admin: James P. H. Fuller
 Bionet/Usenet/cnews/nn              |  {jim,root}%crom2@nstar.rn.com
------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------

hughes@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (larry hughes) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May01.141214.2241@crom2.uucp> jim@crom2.uucp (James P. H. Fuller) writes:

>in comp.protocols.tcp-ip robert@swanee.ee.uwa.oz.au (Roberto Togneri)
>writes:
>
>> Is it possible to transfer files to and from a PC from the unix side?
>> We have PC-NFS but this only allows transfers to be made from the PC side.
>>
>> Can some sort of program be run on the PC that would allow a unix host to
>> mount a hard disk on a PC? We have a Magneto-Optical-device on one
>> of our PC's which allows up to 1.2 Gb of storage. It would be marvellous
>> if this could be accessed from a unix host either for users or even just
>> for backups. At the moment it can only be used for archival purposes.
>
>     This question is of general interest.  If anyone knows a good answer,
>PLEASE respond to the newsgroup!

I don't know the details, but I've seen SOS (which I believe stands
for Stan's Own Server), a DOS NFS server.  I'm pretty sure it's
public domain.

Stan, are you out there?

 //=========================================================================\\
||       Larry J. Hughes, Jr.        ||          hughes@indiana.edu          ||
||        Indiana University         ||                                      ||
||   University Computing Services   ||   "The person who knows everything   ||
||    750 N. State Road 46 Bypass    ||      has a lot to learn."            ||
||      Bloomington, IN  47405       ||                                      ||
||         (812) 855-9255            ||   Disclaimer: Same as my quote...    ||
 \\==========================================================================//

andy@xwkg.Icom.Com (Andrew H. Marrinson) (05/04/91)

jim@crom2.uucp (James P. H. Fuller) writes:

>in comp.protocols.tcp-ip robert@swanee.ee.uwa.oz.au (Roberto Togneri)
>writes:

>> Is it possible to transfer files to and from a PC from the unix side?
>> We have PC-NFS but this only allows transfers to be made from the PC side.

>     We're trying to use a CD-ROM reader under Interactive Unix 2.2 without
>much success.  ISC doesn't know how to mount ISO-9660 CD-ROMS as Unix file-
>systems (though I hear SunOS can mount them as type hsfs, envy envy.)

Actually, I believe SCO Unix will also allow High Sierra format
CD-ROMS to be mounted as file systems.  It has been a long time since
I tried this, but I think it worked just fine.  Of course, it is
probably too late since you already bought Interactive, but others
might benefit from this info.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, Stan's Own Server, an NFS server for
DOS should also allow this, though I haven't tried it.  The last time
I looked at that it required Sun's PC-NFS development library to
compile, that was also a while ago.  I know it is on uunet.uu.net and
probably other places as well.

Hope this helps...
--
		Andrew H. Marrinson
		Icom Systems, Inc.

In article <1991May01.141214.2241@crom2.uucp> jim@crom2.uucp (James P. H. Fuller) writes:

>in comp.protocols.tcp-ip robert@swanee.ee.uwa.oz.au (Roberto Togneri)
>writes:
>
>> Is it possible to transfer files to and from a PC from the unix side?
>> We have PC-NFS but this only allows transfers to be made from the PC side.
>>
>     This question is of general interest.  If anyone knows a good answer,
>PLEASE respond to the newsgroup!

Yes.  Get SOSS (Son of Sam's Server?) which is a NFS server for MSDOS.  Run
that on the DOS machine.

Then mount the drive using NFS from the Unix system.  Should work just fine.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 808-7300], Voice: [+1 708 808-7200]

In article <7s4gak-@rpi.edu> fargo@iear.arts.rpi.edu (Irwin M. Fargo) writes:

   SOSS is a public domain package.

No it isn't!  It's freely copyable, but copyrighted using the GNU GPL.
Public domain has a perfectly acceptable legal meaning that doesn't
apply to copyrighted software.

--
--russ <nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu> I'm proud to be a humble Quaker.
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

fargo@iear.arts.rpi.edu (Irwin M. Fargo) (05/04/91)

Son of Stan's Own Server (SOSS) is the latest release of an NFS server for
MS-DOS based IBM PCs and compatibles.

SOSS supports the Clarkson packet drivers, which means that you should be
able to get it running over any kind of network you like (except SneakerNet
(tm)).

I was able to use Sun's PC-NFS package to access exported files from SOSS.
But I wasn't able to execute any programs off of the server.

SOSS is a public domain package.  It's available at a number of sites, one
of which includes sun.soe.clarkson.edu in the pub/ka9q directory.

If you're looking into commercial packages, you might want to take a look at
Novell's Netware NFS.  Basically, you set up your PC as a Netware server and
run Netware NFS on your UNIX host.

Hope some of this helps!

--
Thank you and happy hunting!		Actually: Ethan M. Young
					Internet: fargo@iear.arts.rpi.edu

cole@etonic.gsg.dco.dec.com (Larry Cole) (05/07/91)

ULTRIX Version 4.2 includes support for ISO 9660 and High-Sierra CDROMs.
It is implemented as a 'cdfs' file system type.  On my DECstation, I can
mount a CDROM at mount point /cdrom, bring up SoftPC, point SoftPC's
logical MSDOS drive E: at /cdrom and run MSDOS applications off of the
CDROM !  Needless to say, I can also access /cdrom from ULTRIX in standard
manner.  I also export /cdrom so other's may NFS mount it.  In addition,
local VAX's (VMS-type) can access /cdrom via DECNET .

larry cole
Digital Equipment Corporation
Govt Technical Support Center
Landover, MD