[comp.dcom.lans] Ethernet with higher data rates ?

heibe@forst.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Bernd Heinrichs) (05/07/91)

Perhaps it is a nonsense idea. But I think in some environments it would
make sense to run the already installed Ethernet configurations at higher
speeds, e.g. at 100 Mbit/s.
My question is: Is it physically possible to reach such data rates on
50-ohm or 75-ohm coaxial cables ? Of course the maximum cable length permitted
must be shorter than 500 meters and the minimum packet length must be longer
than 64 bytes.
Perhaps some people can inform me about realization of such ideas.

Bernd Heinrichs

****************************
Aachen University of Technology
Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik IV
Ahornstr. 55
D-5100 Aachen, Germany

Tel.: + 49 241 / 80-21410
Fax.: + 49 241 / 80-21429
email: heibe@informatik.rwth-aachen.de
****************************

Bernd Heinrichs  Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik IV
RWTH Aachen  D-5100 Aachen
Germany

heibe@forst.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Bernd Heinrichs) (05/07/91)

Perhaps this is not a realizable idea. But I think in some environments it
would make sense to use the existing Ethernet installations running with
higher data, e.g. up to 100 Mbit/s, instead of the expensive FDDI.
My problem is, that I do not know, if it is physically possible to run 50-
or 75-ohm coaxial cables at such high data rates. Of course the cable
length must be shortened and the minimum packet length has to exceed
64 bytes.

I would be very pleased when som people can tell me, such data rates are
realizable or not.

Bernd Heinrichs  Technical University of Aachen
email: heibe@informatik.rwth-aachen.de

--
Bernd Heinrichs  Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik IV
RWTH Aachen  D-5100 Aachen, Germany
Tel. +241/80-21410   Fax: +241/80-21429
heibe@informatik.rwth-aachen.de

oberman@ptavv.llnl.gov (05/07/91)

In article <heibe.673604290@forst>, heibe@forst.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Bernd Heinrichs) writes:
> Perhaps this is not a realizable idea. But I think in some environments it
> would make sense to use the existing Ethernet installations running with
> higher data, e.g. up to 100 Mbit/s, instead of the expensive FDDI.
> My problem is, that I do not know, if it is physically possible to run 50-
> or 75-ohm coaxial cables at such high data rates. Of course the cable
> length must be shortened and the minimum packet length has to exceed
> 64 bytes.
>
> I would be very pleased when som people can tell me, such data rates are
> realizable or not.

The data rates are certainly realizable. Doing it and not violating FCC
emmission specs is another matter. But I have heard from 3 different vendors
who plan to announce copper based (coax and TP) token rings which are
essentially FDDI on wire. One vendor referred to it as CDDI.

Whether such a product will appear is uncertain, but the vendors were all big
in the network arena and seemed very serious about it. I wouldn't be too
stunned if someone made an announcement in the next few months and showed
something at InterOp.

R. Kevin Oberman			Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Internet: oberman@icdc.llnl.gov		(415) 422-6955

Disclaimer: Don't take this too seriously. I just like to improve my typing
and probably don't really know anything useful about anything. Especially
anything gnu.

P.S. Why did the original message get posted 3 times?

mart@csri.toronto.edu (Mart Molle) (05/07/91)

heibe@forst.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Bernd Heinrichs) writes:

>Perhaps this is not a realizable idea. But I think in some environments it
>would make sense to use the existing Ethernet installations running with
>higher data, e.g. up to 100 Mbit/s, instead of the expensive FDDI.
>My problem is, that I do not know, if it is physically possible to run 50-
>or 75-ohm coaxial cables at such high data rates. Of course the cable
>length must be shortened and the minimum packet length has to exceed
>64 bytes.

>I would be very pleased when som people can tell me, such data rates are
>realizable or not.

Increasing the data rate by a factor of 10 in Ethernet is not going to work
very well, because you cannot also make the signals travel 10 times as fast
along the wires.  The efficiency of CSMA/CD is a function of the ratio of
*time* spent transmitting data to the propagation delay.  Thus, increasing
the data rate without shortening the network or forcing the minimum packet
size to go up makes this ratio (and hence Ethernet efficiency) drop to
unacceptable values.

However, there are a number of proposals for "speeding up" Ethernet that
end up doing what you want but via an approach that avoids the CSMA/CD
bottleneck.  Basically, the idea is to build the Etherent analog to a PBX:
"low speed" (almost) dedicated lines (in this case 10Mbps Ethernet, instead
of a 64Kbps digitised voice circuit) leading to a "switch port", with the
internals of the switch using some proprietary very-high-speed internal
architecture to move data between ports.  The Kalpana EtherSwitch promises
to do this using an internal 32x32 non-blocking buffered switch that supports
store and forward with cut-through Real Soon Now, and SuperNet (nee Hubnet)
has a product that uses a 100 Mbps collision arbitration rooted tree
network to connect a bunch of "simulated" multiport transceivers (which
looks like a DELNI, say, to the hosts but connects to the SuperNet backbone
using the Hubnet protocol at 100Mbps).  I guess one could say that these
systems support "tunneling" of Ethernet frames between ports.  There is also
an issue of how to decide *where* to send a frame that originates from a
given port, which was discussed in this forum recently....

These designs give a total bandwidth comparable to FDDI (or even higher),
but limit the host-to-host bandwidth to Ethernet speeds.

Mart L. Molle
Computer Systems Research Institute
University of Toronto
Toronto Canada M5S 1A4
(416)978-4928

mikel@berlioz.nsc.com (Michael G. Lohmeyer) (05/08/91)

In article <heibe.673604290@forst> heibe@forst.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Bernd Heinrichs) writes:
>Perhaps this is not a realizable idea. But I think in some environments it
>would make sense to use the existing Ethernet installations running with
>higher data, e.g. up to 100 Mbit/s, instead of the expensive FDDI.
>My problem is, that I do not know, if it is physically possible to run 50-
>or 75-ohm coaxial cables at such high data rates. Of course the cable
>length must be shortened and the minimum packet length has to exceed
>64 bytes.
>
>I would be very pleased when som people can tell me, such data rates are
>realizable or not.

     As was said in another posting in reply to the one above, the CSMA/CD
protocols do not seem to lend well to 100 MBits/sec.  I don't know enough
about CSMA/CD to say one way or the other about that, but I do know that the
current ethernet IC's do not operate up to 100MBits/sec even if you
wanted them to.  So in order to make ethernet go faster, it would take
new chip designs to make it work.  All the current ICs for ethernet are
based on 10MBit/sec, and hence, are not designed to work very far outside
that spec.

Mike
Mike Lohmeyer				mikel@berlioz.nsc.com
National Semiconductor Corporation