[comp.dcom.lans] RFI summary - workstation based FDDI monitor/analyzer

khasin@hub.toronto.edu (Kha Sin Teow) (05/08/91)

Quite a number of people expressed their interest in the response of
my Request For Info (RFI) on "workstation based FDDI monitor/analyzer":

|> I'm curious as to whether an FDDI monitor/analyzer exists on a UNIX
|> workstation, something similar to "etherfind" on a Sun workstation.
|> I'm aware of a couple of specialized FDDI analyzer products but they are
|> in the order of 40K or up!
|> Any pointer is appreciated.
|>
|> khasin@hub.toronto.edu

Here's a summary.
(I liberally got rid of much of the e-mail header info and inclusion of
my article posting in the messages.)

----- Response 1 -----
From corp.sun.com!Rohit.Aggarwal@uthub.UUCP Thu Apr 25 16:04:08 1991
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 91 09:10:29 PDT
From: Rohit.Aggarwal@corp.sun.com (Rohit Aggarwal)

try etherview:  603-888-7790

------ Response 2 -----
From matrix!matrix.com!neeraj@uunet.UUCP Tue Apr 30 04:47:36 1991
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 91 09:04:14 EDT
From: matrix.com!neeraj@uunet.UUCP (neeraj sangal)

Try EtherView from Matrix Computer Systems, Inc. It works on a Sun
Workstation and will run on any network which is hooked up to a Sun
and is accessible by Sun's NIT interface. Note that the name
'EtherView' is rapidly turning into a misnomer since Sun started
(or is about to) support FDDI and Token Ring.

Neeraj Sangal
Matrix Computer Systems, Inc.           1 Tara Blvd, Nashua, NH 03062
uunet!matrix!neeraj                     (603) 888-7000

------ Response 3 ------
From jake!roger@uunet.UUCP Thu May  2 04:55:14 1991
Date: Wed, 1 May 91 12:24:50 PDT
From: jake!roger@uunet.UUCP (Roger Moyers)

I would suggesst obtaining a VME FDDI board from Interphase Corp of Dallas TX.
The 4211 Peregrine they build is a pretty good product which we use in house
here (and hvae written several drivers for).  You can then use etherfind on
this interface.

roger@xlnt.com

Thanks very much for the response and i hope this info is useful for others
as well.
I'm trying to get in touch with Matrix Computer System and Interphase Corp.
for more product info (price, availability, etc).

khasin@hub.toronto.edu