[comp.dcom.lans] User/Support Staff ratio poll...

woody@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Bill Woodcock) (04/24/91)

    Howdy.  I  moderate  MacNetAdmin,  the  Fidonet  Macintosh  networking
    newsgroup.   We're  trying  to  establish a base of information on the
    ratio of endusers to support  staff  at  large  sites.  We're  keeping
    academic and corporate figures separately, and so far have averages of
    about 130 users per support person at academic sites, and 55 users per
    tech supporter  on  corporate nets, but our sample is very small.  I'd
    greatly appreciate hearing from people at different sites, regarding:

        1) the number of users you (or whoever is responsible for
           internal enduser support) are called upon to deal with.

        2) An approximation of the total number of computer
           users at your site.

        3) The number of active support personnel.

        4) Whether you think this ratio is too high, or too low, and why.

    Thanks for any numbers you can provide.  Only the numbers and  whether
    you're  at  an  academic  or  corporate site are being kept, we aren't
    interested in individual sites, just the trend.

    If there's any interest, I can post statistics here,  as  well  as  on
    Fidonet.

                            -Bill Woodcock
                             BMUG NetAdmin

bill.woodcock.iv..woody@ucscb.ucsc.edu..2355.virginia.st..berkeley.ca.94709.1315

wmah@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Wayne Mah) (04/29/91)

woody@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Bill Woodcock) writes:

>     Howdy.  I  moderate  MacNetAdmin,  the  Fidonet  Macintosh  networking
>     newsgroup.   We're  trying  to  establish a base of information on the
>     ratio of endusers to support  staff  at  large  sites.  We're  keeping
>     academic and corporate figures separately, and so far have averages of
>     about 130 users per support person at academic sites, and 55 users per
>     tech supporter  on  corporate nets, but our sample is very small.  I'd
>     greatly appreciate hearing from people at different sites, regarding:
>
>         1) the number of users you (or whoever is responsible for
>            internal enduser support) are called upon to deal with.
>
>         2) An approximation of the total number of computer
>            users at your site.
>
>         3) The number of active support personnel.
>
>         4) Whether you think this ratio is too high, or too low, and why.
>
>     Thanks for any numbers you can provide.  Only the numbers and  whether
>     you're  at  an  academic  or  corporate site are being kept, we aren't
>     interested in individual sites, just the trend.
>
>     If there's any interest, I can post statistics here,  as  well  as  on
>     Fidonet.
>
>                             -Bill Woodcock
>                              BMUG NetAdmin

> bill.woodcock.iv..woody@ucscb.ucsc.edu..2355.virginia.st..berkeley.ca.94709.1

Hi, I work for a fairly large corporation and we have over 350
PC users.  There is only 3 (really only 2 since one is really
junior) support for 350 users.  The ratio for me and the other
support person is about 150 to 1.  I have been asking for
another qualified support person, but it falls on deaf ears.

At our site, when new projects or technologies arrive, our
corporation prefers to contract out the work and leave the support
staff with the mundane everyday stuff.  I think that expertise
should be developed inhouse and the mundane stuff contracted
out.

I would like to see a 50 user to 1 support ratio.

I would be interested in your results.  Maybe I can use this
to increase my own staff.

Wayne Mah             ersys!wmah@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982

cmilono@netcom.COM (Carlo Milono) (05/11/91)

I have asked this same question of several very large firms in the
Bay Area - famous names & Fortune 500.  The *average* ratio is
110 users to 1 administrator (a qualified one, no beginners). It
really depends on your network, the number of gateways to 'foreign'
stuff, and so on...
|  Carlo Milono:  cmilono@netcom.apple.com   or   apple!netcom!cmilono     |
|"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,  |
|that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."   - Jonathan Swift   |