[comp.dcom.lans] Thin Ethernet wiring question

tanner@cerritos.edu (05/01/91)

I have a Thinwire Ethernet wiring question.  I know that each segment has a
maximum length of 185 meters and 30 devices.  The question is the definition of
'device'.  We wire an office group by chaining a segment thus:

>-------------+  +------------->
Ethernet in   |  |  Ethernet out
              |  |
           +--------+
           |  |  |  |  Wall box
           |  |  |  |
           +--B--B--+  B = BNC connector crimped inside box
              A  A     A = BNC twist-on
              |  |
              |  |     (2) 10 foot cables
           +--+  +--+
           |        |
           +--ATA---+  T = BNC T-connector

We always thought this counted as one 'device'.  We just learned that each BNC
connection should be counted as one 'device'.  Is this true?

Is the above 1, 3 or 5 devices?

Thanks for any info,
-Bruce
--
Bruce Tanner        (213) 860-2451 x 596    Tanner@Cerritos.EDU
Cerritos College    Norwalk, CA             cerritos!tanner

howeird@hpspdra.spd.HP.COM (Howard Stateman) (05/06/91)

Every place you can place a node is counted. Every BNC "T" connector.

It doesn't matter what you plug in: a PC Ethernet card, a UNIX mini,
a BNC-to-twisted pair MAU, or a repeater. Each device connected to the
coax is to be counted as a device connected to the coax.

Howard Stateman
Systems Support Engineer
Intelligent Networks Operation, Palo Alto
howeird@hpspdra.spd.HP.COM

lws@comm.wang.com (Lyle Seaman) (05/14/91)

howeird@hpspdra.spd.HP.COM (Howard Stateman) writes:

>Every place you can place a node is counted. Every BNC "T" connector.

>It doesn't matter what you plug in: a PC Ethernet card, a UNIX mini,
>a BNC-to-twisted pair MAU, or a repeater. Each device connected to the
>coax is to be counted as a device connected to the coax.

Or a barrel connector, or a T connecter.  You don't have to plug a device
into it.

--
Lyle 	508 967 2322
lws@wang.com