[comp.dcom.lans] Token Ring question

brunetti@alw.nih.gov (Jim Brunetti) (05/08/91)

Does anyone know of a product to run token ring over fiber optic cable without
using a fiber optic MAU?  We have a router located in the basement of a large building and fiber optic cable running vertically throughout.  To connect to an Ethernet we use fiber adapters from Fibermux to extend the 50 meter drop cable length to connect a thick Ethernet on the 11th floor to the router in the basement.  We have succesfully connected 24 Ethernets in this building using this method. A token ring using an IBM MAU exists on one of the floors.  Is there any way to do the same thing with Token R

ing?
--
___________
	jim brunetti

lim@slc6.INS.CWRU.Edu (Hock Koon Lim) (05/09/91)

In article <1456@nih-csl.nih.gov> brunetti@alw.nih.gov (Jim Brunetti) writes:
>Does anyone know of a product to run token ring over fiber optic cable without
>using a fiber optic MAU?  We have a router located in the basement of a large
>building and fiber optic cable running vertically throughout.

   I know Cabletron has token ring product that support firber optic cable
on the ring in and ring out port.  Maybe that is what you are looking for.
Their phone number is (603)332-9400.

--
Hock-Koon Lim, Information Network services
Case Western Reserve University; Cleveland, Ohio, USA  44106

hendrick@ctron.com (Jim Hendrick) (05/15/91)

Are you planning to put TR's on each floor? If so, you may want to consider
putting a backbone ring vertically with access centers for separate rings
on each floor (perhaps one ring could span a couple of floors). There are
many considerations in designing this set up such as wiring type, ring speed,
number of stations etc. We do have some TR products available(including those
that have fiber ring ports ant twisted pair station ports on the same board)
and would be happy to assist you. Please feel free to contact us at our
toll free number 1-800-LAN-TEST.
					Jim H.