[comp.dcom.lans] INT 14 Comms Packages and PCSA

RBYAML@ROHVM1.BITNET (Aengus Lawlor) (05/15/91)

I know that some comms packages can be used over a Novell network if they
support INT-14 redirection. Does anyone know if this type of thing can
be done on a PCSA network.

(I've been asked to rewrite part of a package that currently uses a RS232
connectionto work on Workstations that only have LAN connections. I've
hacked something out with LAT, but it's a little too kludgey for comfort.
If INT-14 redirection type services are available, I might be able stick
a little closer to the original design.)

Thanks,
Aengus

--
RBYAML@ROHMHAAS.COM                    Aengus Lawlor
RBYAML@ROHVM1.BITNET                   (who used to be ALAWLOR@DIT.IE)

jrd@cc.usu.edu (05/18/91)

In article <91134.134510RBYAML@ROHVM1.BITNET>, RBYAML@ROHVM1.BITNET (Aengus Lawlor) writes:
> I know that some comms packages can be used over a Novell network if they
> support INT-14 redirection. Does anyone know if this type of thing can
> be done on a PCSA network.
>
> (I've been asked to rewrite part of a package that currently uses a RS232
> connectionto work on Workstations that only have LAN connections. I've
> hacked something out with LAT, but it's a little too kludgey for comfort.
> If INT-14 redirection type services are available, I might be able stick
> a little closer to the original design.)
>
> Thanks,
> Aengus
>
> --
> RBYAML@ROHMHAAS.COM                    Aengus Lawlor
> RBYAML@ROHVM1.BITNET                   (who used to be ALAWLOR@DIT.IE)
	So far as I am aware DEC does not offer an Int 14h hook for external
terminal emulators. In MS-DOS Kermit I use the CTERM and LAT interfaces
directly to replace SETHOST with Kermit. This means that you could write an
Int 14h TSR to do what I did on one side and offer Int 14h on the other.
This TSR would need to do session managment so the host name could be
specified etc; I do that in Kermit's code.
	Joe Doupnik