[comp.dcom.lans] 16 bit or 8 bit

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (05/18/91)

  Can anyone suggest appropriate criteria to use in determining whether
to use 8 bit or 16 bit NIC's on a network. On qualitative grounds I am
considering a 16 bit for the file server and 8 bit for the workstations.
The computers will all be AT bus types, the server and one some workstations
386's. LAN Arcnet using Lantastic s/w.

griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) (05/18/91)

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) writes:

>  Can anyone suggest appropriate criteria to use in determining whether
>to use 8 bit or 16 bit NIC's on a network. On qualitative grounds I am
>considering a 16 bit for the file server and 8 bit for the workstations.

For ARCnet, I believe you increase throughput about 25% for each end
you have a 16 bit card on.  So if your server is the only one with a
16 bit card, you should have 125% increase in throughput.  If both
server and workstation have 16 bit cards, it should perform 150% better
than an all 8 bit network.

I'd say, the more workstations you have, the more critical speed becomes.

--
Dan Griffin
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu