[comp.dcom.lans] Cable scanner recommendations?

brad@terra.ucsc.edu (Brad Smith) (05/08/91)

We're on the market for a cable scanner.  This will be used primarily to test
twisted-pair cable runs.  I have been evaluating the Pair Scanner from
MicroTest.  I'm impressed by all the functions this scanner can accomplish,
but it seems a little too "idiot proof."  It only reports the greatest
reflection along a cable run.  Something that would report all reflections
would be more useful.  Can anyone recommend any other scanners/TDR's that
would be worth checking out?

Thanks in advance,

Brad Smith
Computer Facilities Manager
brad@cis.ucsc.edu

andrew@jhereg.osa.com (Andrew C. Esh) (05/10/91)

In article <15490@darkstar.ucsc.edu> brad@terra.ucsc.edu (Brad Smith) writes:
>We're on the market for a cable scanner.  This will be used primarily to test
>twisted-pair cable runs.  I have been evaluating the Pair Scanner from
>MicroTest.  I'm impressed by all the functions this scanner can accomplish,
>but it seems a little too "idiot proof."  It only reports the greatest
>reflection along a cable run.  Something that would report all reflections
>would be more useful.  Can anyone recommend any other scanners/TDR's that
>would be worth checking out?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Brad Smith
>Computer Facilities Manager
>brad@cis.ucsc.edu

Microtest Pair Scanner? I'm not very familiar with that, and I don't feel
like digging through all my product literature to find it. I saw the
brochure and was not impressed enough to read it through.

ANYWAY: We use a Microtest Cable Scanner for Twisted Pair, and for coax. It
only finds the first major reflection, but it is useful. It gives voltage
and noise information also.

If you are looking for a scanner that gives multiple reflection readings,
you need a Time Domain Reflectometer. That will show the cable reflections
on a graph, with peaks and valleys where the reflections are along the
line. If you have the velocity of propagation set right, the readout is in
meters of cable, so you can find the break very quickly. The problem with
the TDR is that it costs about ten times as much as as Cable Scanner.
--
Andrew C. Esh			andrew@osa.com
Open Systems Architects, Inc.

jpd@pc.usl.edu (Dugal James P.) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May10.140628.17601@jhereg.osa.com> andrew@jhereg.osa.com (Andrew C. Esh) writes:
>ANYWAY: We use a Microtest Cable Scanner for Twisted Pair, and for coax. It
>only finds the first major reflection, but it is useful. It gives voltage
>and noise information also.
>
>If you are looking for a scanner that gives multiple reflection readings,
>you need a Time Domain Reflectometer. That will show the cable reflections
>on a graph, with peaks and valleys where the reflections are along the

I am awaiting my Microtest cable scanner.  This paragraph in the brochure
convinced me to buy it:

"Connected to an oscilloscope, Scanner's precision, high-speed, pulse-
generating circuitry offers installers and other technicians a detailed
view of the entire LAN, including transceiver, terminator, and multiple faults.
In other words, you get the capabilities of sophisticated time domain reflec-
tometers.  But not the expensive price tag."

Anyone tried this?  Does it work as advertised?

--
-- James Dugal,	N5KNX		Internet: jpd@usl.edu
Associate Director		Ham packet: n5knx@k5arh

butzer@rugby.cis.ohio-state.edu (Dan Butzer) (05/11/91)

Take a look at the Tektronix 1503C.  I have the previous rev of the unit -
the 1503B and an _Extremely_ pleased with the unit.  I use it primarily to
shoot my thin-net networks.

Only downside is cost which is ~$5K.  (IMHO worth every penny for an operation
of our size.)

--Dan

mtarrani@crash.cts.com (Mike Tarrani) (05/11/91)

In article <30794@rouge.usl.edu> jpd@pc.usl.edu (Dugal James P.) writes:
>I am awaiting my Microtest cable scanner.  This paragraph in the brochure
>convinced me to buy it:
>
>"Connected to an oscilloscope, Scanner's precision, high-speed, pulse-
>generating circuitry offers installers and other technicians a detailed
>view of the entire LAN, including transceiver, terminator, and multiple faults.
>In other words, you get the capabilities of sophisticated time domain reflec-
>tometers.  But not the expensive price tag."
>
>Anyone tried this?  Does it work as advertised?
>
>--
>-- James Dugal,	N5KNX		Internet: jpd@usl.edu
>Associate Director		Ham packet: n5knx@k5arh
>Computing Center		US Mail: PO Box 42770  Lafayette, LA  70504
>University of Southwestern LA.	Tel. 318-231-6417	U.S.A.

I checked the brouchure that Microtest sent me and it turns out that a
*200* MHz scope is required!  Ever price one of those puppies?  You can
get a real TDR + Microtest Cable Scanner for the price of a 200 MHz
scope, with money left over!

Mike Tarrani          crash!mtarrani@nosc.mil
Senior Systems Analyst
Beta Corporation
San Diego, CA
(619) 565-4504 x230
--
Mike Tarrani          crash!mtarrani@nosc.mil
Senior Systems Analyst
Beta Corporation
San Diego, CA

amc@cup.portal.com (Alan Michael Crawley) (05/11/91)

We do this sort of thing for a living.
Hewlett Packard version of Microtest Cable Scanner is better.  Biggest problem
with all solutions (Scanner's, TDR) is no way to check near end crosstalk of
installed twisted pair.
Anybody have a way of doing that?

djdove@hprnd.rose.hp.com (Dan Dove) (05/14/91)

Brad,

HP has a selection of cable scanning/qualification tools which
may interest you. One of them looks very similar to the tool
you mention... The other is called the 28687A Wiretest Instrument
which was designed specifically to provide 10-BASE-T certification
of your wiring. It measures (very accurately/reliably) the following:

- Continuity             (details failures ie: short 1-3, open 3-6)
- Burst Noise            ( Per the 10-BASE-T specs )
- Attenuation            ( < .5dB resolution, 16dB dynamic range )
- Near End Crosstalk     ( < 1dB resolution, 35dB dynamic range)

It has a monitor, print, and continuous measurement capability,
allows you to test from RJ-45 or 50 D-sub connectors, and will test up
to 12 ports at a time. This product is highly recommended for site
certification and maintenance. Contact your local HP Sales.

Dan Dove
HP Roseville Networks Division

djdove@hprnd.rose.hp.com (Dan Dove) (05/16/91)

In comp.dcom.lans, djdove@hprnd.rose.hp.com (Dan Dove) writes:

    > - Attenuation            ( < .5dB resolution, 16dB dynamic range )
    > - Near End Crosstalk     ( < 1dB resolution, 35dB dynamic range)

    Oops!

    I meant to say ACCURACY. The resolution on both measurements is .1dB.

osyjm@warp.mhd.montana.edu (Jaye Mathisen) (05/17/91)

In article <119459@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> butzer@rugby.cis.ohio-state.edu (Dan Butzer) writes:
>Take a look at the Tektronix 1503C.  I have the previous rev of the unit -
>the 1503B and an _Extremely_ pleased with the unit.  I use it primarily to
>shoot my thin-net networks.

Same here.  Our 1503C has functioned flawlessly, and the ability to test
active networks has been a real boon.

I would certainly buy another one if needed.
--
 Jaye Mathisen,sysmgr 410 Roberts Hall,Dept. of Computer Science
 Montana State University,Bozeman MT 59717        PHONE: (406) 994-{4780,3931}

lanmaint@nssdcb.gsfc.nasa.gov (Dave Yoest) (05/21/91)

In article <3973@dali>, osyjm@warp.mhd.montana.edu (Jaye Mathisen) writes...
>In article <119459@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> butzer@rugby.cis.ohio-state.edu (Dan Butzer) writes:
>>Take a look at the Tektronix 1503C.  I have the previous rev of the unit -
>>the 1503B and an _Extremely_ pleased with the unit.  I use it primarily to
>>shoot my thin-net networks.
>

>Same here.  Our 1503C has functioned flawlessly, and the ability to test
>active networks has been a real boon.
>
>I would certainly buy another one if needed.
>--
> Jaye Mathisen,sysmgr 410 Roberts Hall,Dept. of Computer Science
> Montana State University,Bozeman MT 59717        PHONE: (406) 994-{4780,3931}

We also use a 1503B and I personally feel that it is one of the best
wire diagnostic tools we have. Not only do we use it for ethernet
coaxial based systems, but we also use it for other coax systems such
as video, and I would imagine it could also be used on non-coax based
(twisted pair) systems as well, although I have yet to try it.

Prior to the 1503B we used a 1503 (old,analog display,1970's
technology) that did the job. Other than replacing the Ni-Cad
batteries it also worked flawlessly (and still does) but did
not have many of the features the 1503B has to TDR active ethernets.

While it does require some amount of operator/tech expertise to use,
it really isn't complicated. If you can find it, an excellent
article was published in the November 1988 issue of LAN magazine
titled TDRing Ethernet, by Bob Agnes. It specifically talks about
using the 1503B and also has copies of the display showing most
of the faults commonly found on ethernet.

Dave Yoest
LAN M&O Section Supervisor
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center
Greenbelt, Md. USA 20646