[comp.dcom.lans] NetBlazer

matt@zeus.sbi.com (Matthew Gutherz ISG) (03/22/91)

Hello,

Is there anyone out there willing to share their experiences,
good or bad, with the Telebit NetBlazer.  I am particularly
interested in the IP connectivity on demand function.  Is it
able to establish a connection before a host times out the
attempt?  How well does it buffer packets while it is establishing
the connection?  Does it keep track of open connections through
it so that does not cut them after a period of inactivity?

Thanks

Matt Gutherz
Networking Mercenary

brian@telebit.com (Brian Lloyd) (04/06/91)

Well perhaps I am a bit biased but I can answer the question about how
the NetBlazer works (I designed it) and I am posting this message from
my home running rlogin through a NetBlazer connection.

The typical time to establish a connection is 25-35 seconds.  The
hosts requirements RFC requires hosts to wait 1 minute before timing
out.  This is usually not a problem but if you have a host that does
not wait the requisite period of time, just restart the operation.
The line will certainly be up in time for the command to operate the
second time around.

As for buffering, each outbound interface has a queue.  As system
administrator you get to select the number of datagrams that may be
queued at any one time.  The default value is 8 datagrams on the
queue.  If the link is not up all incoming packets are queued up to
the maximum number of packets.  Any additional packets are discarded.

The NetBlazer is an IP-based device so it has no way of knowing how
many sessions are passing through it (with IP it is possible for
datagrams to take different paths through the network).  What the
NetBlazer does do is keep track of packet activity.  A timer is reset
every time a d'gram passes through an interface.  If the timer times
out the NetBlazer commands the modem to hang up.  The timer may be set
to anything from 1 second to 65535 seconds but the default value is
180 seconds.  Since my connection to our network at work is a local
call, I keep my timeout set to 600 seconds (10 minutes).

What happens if the link times out while you are still "connected"
(you got up for a cup of coffee)?  Nothing really.  If you are doing
TELNET or rlogin, your next keystroke will generate a d'gram and the
NetBlazer will dial and reconnect.  You simply have to wait for about
25 seconds while the NB reconnects.

One last feature that comes in handy if you are in a hurry to get
something done.  The NetBlazer support inverse multiplexing.  If you
have more than one modem you may elect to have the NetBlazer bring up
more than one connection to the destination NetBlazer.  In that case
you get the throughput of two (or more!) modems.

And while we are on the subject of throughput, I typically see a
throughput of 1.6K bytes/second per modem when sending binary files
with FTP.  Text files benefit greatly from the V.42bis compression in
the modem and I usually see 2.5 KB/s to 3 KB/s throughput.

The NetBlazer also supports Van Jacobson's IP/TCP header
prediction/compresion algorithms when running SLIP or PPP.  This
greatly reduces latency and makes interactive activities (TELNET,
rlogin, rsh, etc.) more palatable.

Well, I hope I have answered your questions to your satisfaction.
Feel free to write or call.

Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN                              Telebit Corporation
Network Systems Architect                        1315 Chesapeake Terrace
brian@napa.telebit.com                           Sunnyvale, CA 94089-1100
voice (408) 745-3103                             FAX (408) 734-3333
--

sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (05/28/91)

In article <1991Apr6.073416.21710@telebit.com> brian@telebit.com (Brian Lloyd) writes:
>The NetBlazer also supports Van Jacobson's IP/TCP header
>prediction/compresion algorithms when running SLIP or PPP.  This
>greatly reduces latency and makes interactive activities (TELNET,
>rlogin, rsh, etc.) more palatable.

The documentation on this option does not say it works for PPP. I have not
tested it on PPP, though.

Quote from Page 6-38

"The ip vj command controls whether or not Van Jacobson TCP header
compression willbe uses for a specified slip interface."

--
Stan           internet: sob@bcm.tmc.edu         Director, Networking
Olan           uucp: rutgers!bcm!sob             and Systems Support

In article <5731@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) writes:
>In article <1991Apr6.073416.21710@telebit.com> brian@telebit.com (Brian Lloyd) writes:
>>The NetBlazer also supports Van Jacobson's IP/TCP header
>>prediction/compresion algorithms when running SLIP or PPP.  This
>>greatly reduces latency and makes interactive activities (TELNET,
>>rlogin, rsh, etc.) more palatable.
>
>The documentation on this option does not say it works for PPP. I have not
>tested it on PPP, though.
>
>Quote from Page 6-38
>
>"The ip vj command controls whether or not Van Jacobson TCP header
>compression will be used for a specified slip interface."

Here is what happens when you try to enter it manually:

netblazer:Top>Configure>IP> vj pppinterface
pppinterface is a PPP interface, the vj command is for SLIP

Oh well. Maybe this is a feature is some later version of the software.
The version I have is 1.00x0.

I will try it under slip in a bit and let folks know what I find.

[I guess I really should just make one big article of everything I figure out.
I don't know if this blow by blow bit is helpful... If you have a contructive
opinion, drop me a line. Send flames to /dev/null.]

--

brian@telebit.com (Brian Lloyd) (05/31/91)

sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) writes:

>In article <1991Apr6.073416.21710@telebit.com> brian@telebit.com (Brian Lloyd) writes:
>>The NetBlazer also supports Van Jacobson's IP/TCP header
>>prediction/compresion algorithms when running SLIP or PPP.  This
>>greatly reduces latency and makes interactive activities (TELNET,
>>rlogin, rsh, etc.) more palatable.

>The documentation on this option does not say it works for PPP. I have not
>tested it on PPP, though.

>Quote from Page 6-38

>"The ip vj command controls whether or not Van Jacobson TCP header
>compression willbe uses for a specified slip interface."

VJ header compression does work on PPP.  PPP automatically negotiates
VJ header compression support.  Unfortunately the negotiation used by
the the NetBlazer conforms to the earlier form specified in RFC1172.
The mechanism for this negotiation has been changed but the NetBlazer
has not yet been brought up to date.  This will be corrected in a
future release (sorry I can't give you a time frame yet).

If you are using PPP to connect between two NetBlazers you will get VJ
header compression by default.