[comp.dcom.lans] Bridges with telephone lower layers

Lee Sailer <UH2@psuvm.psu.edu> (05/17/91)

How hard is it to bridge two LANs with a bridge that uses
an intermittant telephone link.  That is, we don't need the connection
most of the time.  When we do, we'd like to place a phone call from
one LAN to the other, hook up, and then have regualar (albeit slow)
network traffic for the duration of the phone call.

Who's good at this?  Novell, Lantastic, PC-NFS, or who?

Note:  I asked this question before, in another guise.  If you ignored
it then (and most of you certainly did 8-) you'll probably want to
ignore it again.

                lee

tom@calvin.doc.ca (Tom Erskine) (05/23/91)

--
Thomas E. Erskine  (tom@calvin.doc.ca)  phone (613) 998-2836

skipm@dorsai (Dorsai SysOp) (05/31/91)

Lee Sailer <UH2@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:

> How hard is it to bridge two LANs with a bridge that uses
> an intermittant telephone link.  That is, we don't need the connection
> most of the time.  When we do, we'd like to place a phone call from
> one LAN to the other, hook up, and then have regualar (albeit slow)

Not difficult if you're running on an Ether_Net backbone...Get yourself a
pair of NetBlazers and a pair of HS Modems, and either LAN will look to
the other LAN as if it is hanging physically off of the network...

Skip

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (05/31/91)

In article <VNXR31w163w@dorsai> skipm@dorsai (Dorsai SysOp) writes:
   Lee Sailer <UH2@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:
      How hard is it to bridge two LANs with a bridge that uses an
      intermittant telephone link...

   ...Get yourself a pair of NetBlazers...

I didn't know that the NetBlazer already implemented RFC1220?

emv@msen.com (Ed Vielmetti) (06/01/91)

	 How hard is it to bridge two LANs with a bridge that uses an
	 intermittant telephone link...

      ...Get yourself a pair of NetBlazers...

   I didn't know that the NetBlazer already implemented RFC1220?

The NetBlazer doesn't do RFC1220, which is

            Point-to-Point Protocol Extensions for Bridging

   This document defines an extension of the Internet Point-to-Point
   Protocol (PPP) described in RFC 1171, targeting the use of Point-to-
   Point lines for Remote Bridging.  It is a product of the Point-to-
   Point Protocol Extensions Working Group of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF).

However, there is another netblazer-like box which has support for
some goofy proprietary protocols commonly found in the dos world,
which might address the first user's problems.

The NetBlazer also doesn't negotiate binary telnets right, which is
why ours is still an "evaluation" unit rather than a system in
production :-(.

--Ed

brian@telebit.com (Brian Lloyd) (06/01/91)

NetBlazer is an IP router, not a MAC-layer bridge.  It will only route
IP datagrams.

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN                              Telebit Corporation
Network Systems Architect                        1315 Chesapeake Terrace