[comp.dcom.lans] how to connect thin wire segements to thick wire backbone

doug@psy.uwa.oz.au (Doug Robb) (05/13/91)

A friend of mine works in a building that has two segments
of thin wire ether-net on each floor (there are 3 floors)
and a thick wire ethernet running up the riser between
floors. Each thin wire segment runs back to the riser on
each floor. What he would like to know is what needs to be done
to make this cabling functional and the likely cost.

              (thin)                   (thin)
floor 1 -------------------1 ||    --------------2
floor 2 -------------------1 || H  --------------2
floor 3 -------------------1 || C  --------------2

Can anybody add anything to my suggestions below?

1.  terminate each end of the thick wire (cost?)

2.  terminate the ends of each thin wire segment with bnc connectors
     (cost = 6 x a few dollars )

3.  for each thin wire tap into the thick wire backbone you
    would need a transceiver. Cost ( 6 x $300 to $400 dollars?)

4.  Now the bit I'm not sure of. On each floor one could run
   a drop cable to a multiport repeater (eg dempr) and simply
   plug the two segments into the repeater. But the only demprs
   I've seen have eight ports (to run up to 8 segments) so this
    would seem to be an over kill especially when multiport repeaters
	are about $A4,000 each last time we got one. Are there multiport
    repeaters for 2 or 4 segments? What do they cost?

    Or am I barking up the wrong tree altogether, is there
	a better way to connect each thin wire segment to the
    thick wire?  Do I need any more hardware?

Thanks,
doug@psy.uwa.oz.au

In article <1991May13.085357.4785@uniwa.uwa.oz> doug@psy.uwa.oz.au (Doug Robb) writes:
>    Or am I barking up the wrong tree altogether, is there
>	a better way to connect each thin wire segment to the
>    thick wire?  Do I need any more hardware?

The only way to connect thin to thick is end to end.  You can't connect
a thinwire segment to the middle of a thickwire segment.  Ethernet cable
is a bus, not a tree -- it can't branch.  The only way to hook cables
together at other than their ends is with a repeater of some flavor.

The simplest way to do what you want is to forget the central thick segment
entirely and run the ends of the thin segments to a single multiport
repeater at some central point.
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

ta1@ra.MsState.Edu (Terry Arnsdorff) (05/14/91)

If each thin-wire segment has it's own server, add an additional NIC to each
server.  From that card run a Transceiver cable to a Transceiver tapped to the
Thick-Net.  This would be cheaper in the long run than thick-to-thin repeaters,
which would be another method.

bambi@kirk.nmg.bu.oz.au (David J. Hughes) (05/14/91)

From article <1991May13.170657.4786@zoo.toronto.edu>, by henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer):
> The only way to connect thin to thick is end to end.  You can't connect
> a thinwire segment to the middle of a thickwire segment.  Ethernet cable
> is a bus, not a tree -- it can't branch.  The only way to hook cables
> together at other than their ends is with a repeater of some flavor.

Correct yet not correct.  The overall structure of the Ethernet must be
a bus, but there are ways of introducing "stars" grafted onto the bus.
The set-up we use here is ...........

      |   _      Thin       Thin       _   |
      |  | |======             =======| |  |
Thick |::| |======             =======| |::| Thick
Spine |  |_|======             =======|_|  | Spine
      |                                    |
      |                                    |
      |               Router               |
       \                __                 /
         \_____________|  |_______________/
                       |__|

		________|__________
               (___________________)
 		     Fibre Ring     \
                                      \  To another building

The Star configuration is maintained by a Multi-Port repeater (we use
3Com / Bridge).  This setup is repeated in every building on campus and
there is a pair of multi-repeater on every floor of every building.

To answer the original question, Yes you can do it this way but you will
be up for the $A4,000 per multi-port as I have not come accross any 2 or
4 port boxes.

> The simplest way to do what you want is to forget the central thick segment
> entirely and run the ends of the thin segments to a single multiport
> repeater at some central point.

This does not help if you are using the thick to overcome a distance
problem  (Hence the approx 10 KM of fibre in our setup.)

Bambi
| David J. Hughes   (AKA bambi)	 |   bambi@kirk.bu.oz.au                     |
| Senior Systems Programmer	 |   bambi@kirk.bu.oz.au@uunet.uu.net        |
| Comms Development & Operations |   ..!uunet!munnari!kirk.bu.oz.au!bambi    |
| Bond University, Gold Coast    |   Phone : +61 75 951450                   |
| Queensland,  Australia  4229   |   Fax :   +61 75 951456                   |

brunetti@alw.nih.gov (Jim Brunetti) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May14.193206.3692@waikato.ac.nz>, hamish@waikato.ac.nz writes:
|> > To answer the original question, Yes you can do it this way but you will
|> > be up for the $A4,000 per multi-port as I have not come accross any 2 or
|> > 4 port boxes.
|> >

|> I believe DEC sell 2,4 and 8 port repeaters. However above 8 ports I have been
|> told that it is cheaper to buy a multiport repeater cage and just add ports
|> when you need them.
|>
|> ==============================================================================
|> |  Hamish Marson   <h.marson@waikato.ac.nz>                                    |
|> |  Computer Support Person,  Computer Science Department                     |
|> |  University of Waikato                                                     |
|> |Disclaimer:  Anything said in this message is the personal opinion of the   |
|> |             finger hitting the keyboard & doesn't represent my employers   |
|> |             opinion in any way. (ie we probably don't agree)               |
|> ==============================================================================

Cabletron makes a 2 port thick to thin repeater (1 AUI, 1 BNC). Model MR2000C.
--
___________
	jim brunetti

chw@hpctdlb.HP.COM (Charlie Whiteside) (05/14/91)

>If each thin-wire segment has it's own server, add an additional NIC to each
>server.  From that card run a Transceiver cable to a Transceiver tapped to the
>Thick-Net.  This would be cheaper in the long run than thick-to-thin repeaters,
>which would be another method.

Segmenting the network at this point can have some great benefits.
I would highly recommend putting in store and forward bridges from
each server segment to the Thick backbone. This will allow better
utilization on the independant (now) subnets and also allow fast
problem isolation and operation of most segments in the event of
a faulure on a particular segment.

===============================================   Thick Lan
    B          B             B              Bridges
    |          |             |              Server segments
    |          |             |
    |          |             |
    |          |             |
    |          |             |

I have seen networks where segmentation was not done. They worked
fine with low utilizations. As they became more integrated and
relyed upon the traffic levels picked up. Then a failure would
take down everyone at the same time.

Good Luck

Charlie

.

hamish@waikato.ac.nz (05/15/91)

lee@locus.com (Lee Slaughter) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May13.170657.4786@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1991May13.085357.4785@uniwa.uwa.oz> doug@psy.uwa.oz.au (Doug Robb) writes:
>>    Or am I barking up the wrong tree altogether, is there
>>	a better way to connect each thin wire segment to the
>>    thick wire?  Do I need any more hardware?
>
>The only way to connect thin to thick is end to end.  You can't connect
>a thinwire segment to the middle of a thickwire segment.  Ethernet cable
>is a bus, not a tree -- it can't branch.  The only way to hook cables
>together at other than their ends is with a repeater of some flavor.

uh uh...we've done it. we have mostly thick and hooked up a
small net on thin to the thick using transceiver and fanout.

.....thin net.......transceiver.......fanout......thick net

or something like that. it worked fine. i can look up the
details, if you want. just have to be sure everything
(thin) is properly terminated, using a "T" on the
transceiver as well. (if i recall...)

In article <3021@kirk.nmg.bu.oz.au> bambi@kirk.nmg.bu.oz.au (David J. Hughes) writes:

>To answer the original question, Yes you can do it this way but you will
>be up for the $A4,000 per multi-port as I have not come accross any 2 or
>4 port boxes.

no, somebody makes two port... damn... can't remember and too
lazy to look thru all catalogs, but it is somebody we use around
here...TCL, CentreCOM, IsoLan, ... if you really want to know and
nobody else has positively responded let me know.

In article <24384@dice.la.locus.com> lee@locus.com (Lee Slaughter) writes:
>>... Ethernet cable
>>is a bus, not a tree -- it can't branch.  The only way to hook cables
>>together at other than their ends is with a repeater of some flavor.
>>
>uh uh...we've done it. we have mostly thick and hooked up a
>small net on thin to the thick using transceiver and fanout.
>

>.....thin net.......transceiver.......fanout......thick net
>
>or something like that. it worked fine. i can look up the
>details, if you want...

I'd very much appreciate details of this, because I'd be very surprised
to see it work the way you've described.  The transceiver's non-coax end
is an AUI connector.  If by a "fanout" you mean a multi-AUI transceiver,
same thing there.  And you can't connect two AUI connectors back to back.
The only way I can make sense of your diagram is to assume that either
the "transceiver" or the "fanout" is really a repeater.
--

waugh@rtpnet05.rtp.dg.com (Matthew Waugh) (05/16/91)

In article <24391@oolong.la.locus.com> lee@locus.com (Lee Slaughter) writes:
>no, somebody makes two port... damn... can't remember and too
>lazy to look thru all catalogs, but it is somebody we use around
>here...TCL, CentreCOM, IsoLan, ... if you really want to know and
>nobody else has positively responded let me know.

It's CenterCOM, and also Garrett Communications, Inc., (408)980-9752
or (408)980-1654 make one.

Mat

Matthew Waugh			waugh@dg-rtp.dg.com
RTP Network Services 		{world}!mcnc!rti!dg-rtp!waugh
Data General Corp.
RTP, NC. (919)-248-6344

rmilner@zia.aoc.nrao.edu (Ruth Milner) (05/16/91)

In article <3021@kirk.nmg.bu.oz.au> bambi@kirk.nmg.bu.oz.au (David J. Hughes) writes:
>From article <1991May13.170657.4786@zoo.toronto.edu>, by henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer):
>> The only way to hook cables
>> together at other than their ends is with a repeater of some flavor.
>
>Correct yet not correct.
>The set-up we use here is ...........
[ diagram deleted ]

>The Star configuration is maintained by a Multi-Port repeater
                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
How does this differ from what Henry said?

The point is, you can't hook the cables together without a box somewhere in
between. Whether you have one box for each thinwire segment, or one for many,
is irrelevant. You still need something with some intelligence to join them.
Multi-port repeaters have that intelligence: they are proper repeaters, and
most of the ones available on the market also do fault isolation on the thin
segments, which is quite useful.

I think Cabletron might make a repeater with less than 8 ports, but in any
case, unless you are severely constrained by distance limits, you probably
want room to add new segments later.

Remember that the whole kit and caboodle will count as a single Ethernet and
every segment will see all of every other segment's traffic - unless you do
some judicious bridging/gatewaying between them instead of just repeaters.
If those thinwires have workstations etc. on them, you could load up your
network *very* quickly. Make sure you plan for this.
--
Ruth Milner
Systems Manager                     NRAO/VLA                    Socorro NM

bob@pirates.UUCP (Bob Fawcett) (05/16/91)

Allied telesis makes a line of multi-port repeaters with a combination of
thin and AUI ports.  They are available in 2,4,5,and 9 port configurations.
The 2 can be any combination of thick and thin, the 4 is a 2 and 2 combo,and
the 5 and 9 are 1AUI and the rest thin for 1 4 and 1 8 setups.

We use them on our campus and have been pleased with performance and
reliability thus far.

Bob Fawcett		|   bob@pirates.armstrong.edu  |   Internet
Academic Computing	|   bob@pirates.uucp	       |   UUCP
Armstrong State College	|   11935 Abercorn Street      |   Savannah, GA 31419

cosheff@bitcave.in-berlin.de (Charles O. Shefflette) (05/19/91)

rmilner@zia.aoc.nrao.edu (Ruth Milner) writes:

>In article <3021@kirk.nmg.bu.oz.au> bambi@kirk.nmg.bu.oz.au (David J. Hughes) writes:
>>From article <1991May13.170657.4786@zoo.toronto.edu>, by henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer):
>>> The only way to hook cables
>>> together at other than their ends is with a repeater of some flavor.
>>
>>Correct yet not correct.
>>The set-up we use here is ...........
>[ diagram deleted ]
>>
>>The Star configuration is maintained by a Multi-Port repeater
>                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>How does this differ from what Henry said?

>The point is, you can't hook the cables together without a box somewhere in
>between. Whether you have one box for each thinwire segment, or one for many,
>is irrelevant. You still need something with some intelligence to join them.
>Multi-port repeaters have that intelligence: they are proper repeaters, and
>most of the ones available on the market also do fault isolation on the thin
>segments, which is quite useful.

Well, that isn't exactly true, either.  According to the 3COM and to the
Cabletron manuals we have, the only thing you really have to do to
connect thin- and thick-wire ethernet together is to use the appropriate
adapter connector between them.

You do have to be certain that you don't exceed the cable length
restrictions for the thin-wire when you make the connection, but other
than that you don't really have any problems with them.  The transcievers
are identical except for the actual tap onto the net, so the ethernet
cards, etc. won't even know or care what they are physically connected to.

In our case we have just this configuration, a thickwire system with
some thinwire connected to it with type N to BNC adapters.  In the system
we have about 50 workstations connected and experience no problems with
the network except for the occasional failed transciever.

Our network map looks something like this:

#=======#=============#    #==============#========#========#=====
|       |             |    |              |        |        |
Server  |             Fiber             Repeater Repeater  Repeater
     Repeater                             |        |        |
        |                                 |        |        |
========#===-------                    ===#==    ==#===   ==#===

... etc...

where:
 ===  is thick ethernet
 ---  is thin ethernet
 #    is an ethernet tap

This doesn't actually depict our real layout, it's lots more complex
than that, but you should get the general idea.

Chuck Shefflette                    cosheff@bitcave.in-berlin.de
System Engineer                     (cosheff@netmbx.in-berlin.de)
ManTech FEC, Berlin Germany

rmilner@zia.aoc.nrao.edu (Ruth Milner) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May18.231445.18574@bitcave.in-berlin.de> cosheff@bitcave.in-berlin.de (Charles O. Shefflette) writes:
>rmilner@zia.aoc.nrao.edu (Ruth Milner) writes:
>
>>In article <3021@kirk.nmg.bu.oz.au> bambi@kirk.nmg.bu.oz.au (David J. Hughes) writes:
>>>From article <1991May13.170657.4786@zoo.toronto.edu>, by henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer):
>>>
>>>Correct yet not correct.
>>>The Star configuration is maintained by a Multi-Port repeater
>>                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>How does this differ from what Henry said?
>>The point is, you can't hook all the cables together without a box somewhere
>>in between.
>
>Well, that isn't exactly true, either.  According to the 3COM and to the
>Cabletron manuals we have, the only thing you really have to do to
>connect thin- and thick-wire ethernet together is to use the appropriate
>adapter connector between them.

Sure - *at the ends of the cable*. Not in the middle.

That's precisely what was said to start with (see above - note the phrase
"at other than their ends").

>#=======#=============#    #==============#========#========#=====
>|       |             |    |              |        |        |
>Server  |             Fiber             Repeater Repeater  Repeater
>     Repeater                             |        |        |
>        |                                 |        |        |
>========#===-------                    ===#==    ==#===   ==#===
           ^^^^^

The only piece of thinwire shown here is connected at the *end* of a piece
of thickwire.

         appropriate adapter - provided you don't exceed length/connection
         specs.

         If, however, you need to make a connection in the middle of the
         thick cable, or you need to connect more than one piece of the other
         cable (like a Y or a star), or you will be exceeding specs, you
         *have* to have a box in between.

This is all dictated by the fact that Ethernet is a multidrop topology, not a
star or branch. Pure cable can only be linear.

From what I recall of the original poster's situation, he has several floors
spanned by a vertical thickwire. So it stands to reason that he is not going
to be able to connect all of those floors by thinwire at the ends of the
thickwire. Therefore, he *must* put something in between. Period.
--

graeme@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz ( Graeme Moffat) (05/24/91)

waugh@rtpnet05.rtp.dg.com (Matthew Waugh) writes:
>In article <24391@oolong.la.locus.com> lee@locus.com (Lee Slaughter) writes:
>>no, somebody makes two port... damn... can't remember and too

>or (408)980-1654 make one.
IMC Networks Corp, Tustin CA  800-624-1070

have a unit with 1 AUI & 1 BNC fixed, & up to 6 cards as wanted, either
2xBNC, 1xFOIRL, or 2xTP - it's called a PC-Nic basket & is well priced.

--
Graeme Moffat                g.moffat@aukuni.ac.nz \ Time wastes us all,
Computer Aided Design Centre,  Fax: +64-9-366-0702 /  our bodies & our wits

mad@media03.UUCP (Martin Admiraal) (05/30/91)

In article <24391@oolong.la.locus.com> lee@locus.com (Lee Slaughter) writes:
>In article <3021@kirk.nmg.bu.oz.au> bambi@kirk.nmg.bu.oz.au (David J. Hughes) writes:

>>To answer the original question, Yes you can do it this way but you will
>>be up for the $A4,000 per multi-port as I have not come accross any 2 or
>>4 port boxes.

>no, somebody makes two port... damn... can't remember and too
>lazy to look thru all catalogs, but it is somebody we use around
>here...TCL, CentreCOM, IsoLan, ... if you really want to know and
>nobody else has positively responded let me know.

I'm sure that Cabletron makes four and eight port repeaters. Last year
we sold them to for resp. plm. DM 8500 and DM 15000.

--
+--------------------+------------------------+----------------------+
| Martin Admiraal    | EMAIL mad@media01.uucp |                      |

a_steiner@nwu.edu (Albert Steiner) (06/04/91)

In article <2348@media03.UUCP> mad@media03.UUCP (Martin Admiraal) writes:
> >no, somebody makes two port... damn... can't remember and too
> >lazy to look thru all catalogs, but it is somebody we use around
> >here...TCL, CentreCOM, IsoLan, ... if you really want to know and
> >nobody else has positively responded let me know.
INMAC sells repeaters made by Allied Telesis  (2 Thin, 2 thick ports).
They are working for us and less price than other solutions.

a_steiner@nwu.edu
Albert Steiner, Academic Computing and Networking,
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 60208
708-491-4056

a_steiner@nwu.edu (Albert Steiner) (06/04/91)

<3021@kirk.nmg.bu.oz.au> <24391@oolong.la.locus.com> <2348@media03.UUCP>

scott@pita.cns.ucla.edu (Scott Burris) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.155323.6688@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> a_steiner@nwu.edu (Albert Steiner) writes:
>In article <2348@media03.UUCP> mad@media03.UUCP (Martin Admiraal) writes:
>> >no, somebody makes two port... damn... can't remember and too
>> >lazy to look thru all catalogs, but it is somebody we use around
>> >here...TCL, CentreCOM, IsoLan, ... if you really want to know and
>> >nobody else has positively responded let me know.
>INMAC sells repeaters made by Allied Telesis  (2 Thin, 2 thick ports).
>They are working for us and less price than other solutions.

>a_steiner@nwu.edu
>Albert Steiner, Academic Computing and Networking,
>Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 60208
>708-491-4056

We've had some problems with Allied Telesis equipment in this kind of
service (thick to thin connects) on an ethernet near the distance limit
causing lots of collisions.  We put a Cabletron unit in (admittedly
more expensive) and have had no more problems.

--
----------
Scott Burris

bruce@camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (06/06/91)

In article <1991May13.085357.4785@uniwa.uwa.oz>, doug@psy.uwa.oz.au (Doug Robb) writes:

> A friend of mine works in a building that has two segments
> of thin wire ether-net on each floor (there are 3 floors)
> and a thick wire ethernet running up the riser between
> floors. Each thin wire segment runs back to the riser on
> each floor. What he would like to know is what needs to be done

If you truely ONLY need 2 segments per floor, and IF there are only 3
floors, and if you are not stretched to the outer end of your 185 meter
thin segment limit already, THEN totally eliminate the Etherhose backbone.
You can easily stick it in later if necessary. True that suitable
repeaters come in 1 or 8 ports typically (DESPR , DEMPR) and the 1 port
ones are SO expensive and limiting you always buy the 8 port one because
over its life it will be redeployed and you will need more ports.

So get 1 (only) DEMPR. Stuff the green-eyed loop back plug into its
AUI port to turn it into your backbone in a box. Mount it on the middle floor.
Run your loops from there.

The DEMPR has a terminator built in, so you can't go 2 ways using a T, and
you can't use a T and add a second terminator. You just plug one cable end in.

The returning far end of the cable is 'nice' if you can afford the length
(not $s, this stuff is cheap, but you are only allowed 185 meters per
segment). That far end MUST end in a 50 ohm terminator. But, with it
physically back at the closet, and with only 6 of 8 ports used, if some
segment gets broken in some wall, feed BOTH ends of the old segment from DEMPR
ports, and terminate the 2 new shorter segments after the last connected
computer in each effectively cutting out the broken segment.

At such time as you need a DEMPR per floor, I would buy 3 mini tranceivers
that now LIST for $125, and that plug right onto the AUI connector - no
AUI cable needed. These have a BNC connector and you stick a T on each,
run thin net between the floors, and terminate the ends. For 3 floors
thin net is fine as a backbone. It is fine at 10 floors or 20 floors,
even.

By the time you might start looking at ether-hose, you probably should be
into some fiber solutions! Many folks NEVER use thick ethernet these days.

NEVER use RG58 stuff, use the premium Belden 9907 or 89907 if you are
rich or NEED Teflon.