[comp.dcom.lans] NetPrint, Ether to LaserWriter?

andrew@jhereg.osa.com (Andrew C. Esh) (06/06/91)

	I am looking for something that will allow Unix machines on an
ethernet to send Postscript to be printed by a LaserWriter. The printer
will be connected to Appletalk.

	Solutions would be a software package running on a Macintosh which
will receive TCP/IP or other standard net print traffic from Ethernet, and
spool and route it to the LaserWriter. Another solution would be a box
which essentially does the same.

	I need to try to keep the cost under $1000.

	Any ideas?
--
Andrew C. Esh			andrew@osa.com
Open Systems Architects, Inc.

mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Michael Squires) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun5.171819.2629@jhereg.osa.com> andrew@jhereg.osa.com (Andrew C. Esh) writes:

>	I am looking for something that will allow Unix machines on an
>ethernet to send Postscript to be printed by a LaserWriter. The printer
>will be connected to Appletalk.

I believe that the standard solution is to connect the LaserWriter to the
Sun and run CAP 6.0 on the Sun.  The printer would be connected using
a serial link.  As the software is ftp'able the cost is entirely in
sysadmin time.

Another solution is to buy a QMS 410 or 810 printer which supports
simultaneous connections via AppleTalk, parallel, and serial ports and
switches between PostScript/LJ II emulation on a file-by-file basis.  The
410 seems to have some trouble with its AppleTalk port but not the 810.

--

Mike Squires (mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)     812 855 3974 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu          546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408

despond@sicsun.epfl.ch (Yves Despond EPFL-SIC/STI) (06/06/91)

You can use one of the 3 next :

1. A GatorBox (from cayman) with the GatorPrint software.

2. A SUN with TOPS

3. A VAX with DEC-Pathwork

Yves Despond
Swiss Federal Insitute of Technology
Lausanne
Switzerland

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (06/07/91)

Michael Squires <mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> writes:

>In article <1991Jun5.171819.2629@jhereg.osa.com> andrew@jhereg.osa.com (Andrew C. Esh) writes:
>>
>>	I am looking for something that will allow Unix machines on an
>>ethernet to send Postscript to be printed by a LaserWriter. The printer
>>will be connected to Appletalk.

>Another solution is to buy a QMS 410 or 810 printer which supports
>simultaneous connections via AppleTalk, parallel, and serial ports and
>switches between PostScript/LJ II emulation on a file-by-file basis.  The
>410 seems to have some trouble with its AppleTalk port but not the 810.

Make sure you get the latest revision of the ROMs for the 410--there are
known problems with the older ROMs in it.  (this can even be true of
printer under 2 months old--like my roommate's.)

	Alex
--
		Alex Pournelle, freelance thinker
		Also: Workman & Associates, Data recovery for PCs, Macs, others

sob@isr.harvard.edu (Scott Bradner) (06/08/91)

Another way to do the lpd spooling to a AppleTalk connected LaserWriter
is to use Mach-10 (Tenon's Mach unix on mac-os).

I have just installed it on a mac that has an Ethernet interface & is
on an AppleTalk network with a LaserWriter.  The Mac will act as a lpd
spool for the files and then use the AppleTalk net to send them to the
LaserWriter.

(I have no connection to Tenon, other than (so far) this seems like
a good package)

Scott