[comp.dcom.lans] simple novell question...

kolasa@chowder.rutgers.edu (Stan Kolasa) (06/18/91)

 A couple of simple questions that I was curious about and
 could not find anything specific in any of my readings...

 1. I know that when Novell Netware runs on a pc dos client,
 it acts as a shell around dos, and the user is still able
 to execute dos commands.  But what happens at the server
 end?  Is dos still running with novell on top, or is dos
 replaced like someone mentioned to me?

 2. Same question above regarding Banyan Vines?  How is
 banyran running on the server with dos?   Is there any
 relationship between Banyan and Unix?

 3. A friend asked me what laguage is most of Novell
 Netware written in?  I can guess that portable netware is
 probably written mostly in C.  But what of the rest
 of Netware??

 Thanks in advance for satisfying my curiousity....

 stan k.
 kolasa@chowder.rutgers.edu
Stan Kolasa                       kolasa@chowder.rutgers.edu
Computing Services - Camden       (609) 757-6152
Rutgers University

jrd@cc.usu.edu (Joe R. Doupnik) (06/19/91)

In article <Jun.18.09.11.39.1991.10227@chowder.rutgers.edu>, kolasa@chowder.rutgers.edu (Stan Kolasa) writes:

>  A couple of simple questions that I was curious about and
>  could not find anything specific in any of my readings...
>
>  1. I know that when Novell Netware runs on a pc dos client,
>  it acts as a shell around dos, and the user is still able
>  to execute dos commands.  But what happens at the server
>  end?  Is dos still running with novell on top, or is dos
>  replaced like someone mentioned to me?
>
>  2. Same question above regarding Banyan Vines?  How is
>  banyran running on the server with dos?   Is there any
>  relationship between Banyan and Unix?
>
>  3. A friend asked me what laguage is most of Novell
>  Netware written in?  I can guess that portable netware is
>  probably written mostly in C.  But what of the rest
>  of Netware??
>
>  Thanks in advance for satisfying my curiousity....
>
>  stan k.
>  kolasa@chowder.rutgers.edu
> --
> Stan Kolasa                       kolasa@chowder.rutgers.edu
> Computing Services - Camden       (609) 757-6152
> Rutgers University
-------------------
Stan,
	File servers can be written in any language running on any o/s the
vendor wishes. The only requirement is to satisfy the APIs (what the client
requests is what is done). Language disappears as soon as the complier
finishes, right?
	For the record Novell file servers have nothing, zero, nada, to do
with DOS. NetWare (native) is a specialized multitasking o/s tailored for
file serving; it's not sitting on top of another o/s. Portable NetWare,
however, sits on top of Unix and suffers accordingly. NetWare/VMS runs on
top of VMS and s.a. too. Also for the record, the original NetWare predates
DOS, and as time progressed NetWare added features for the client which only
later appeared in DOS (small things, such as subdirectories).
	Banyan's Vines uses Unix as the base o/s.
	When tackling a large project such as a file server the natural
choice for a programming language today is C. It's the way of making
programmers efficient, which after all is sole purpose of computer languages.
	Joe D.

martin@hq.af.mil (Gregory.J.Martin) (06/19/91)

-- DPNET                 | Capt Greg Martin HQ AFMPC/DPMDW| Penn State Alumnus
-It's what I do          | Rm 4E150 Pentagon, DC 20330    |
-It's what I love        | Comm:703-697-7558 Mil:227-7558 | Disclaimer: These
-It's what they pay      | DPNet: Greg@dpnet mgt@dp       |  are my opinions--
             me for!     | Internet:Greg@dpnet.hq.af.mil  |   but I share!