[comp.dcom.lans] Relamote LAN commections: a summary

brenner@ucunix.san.uc.edu (David L. Brenner) (06/22/91)

Here is the memo I originally wrote:

    >The company I'm working for is looking to buy a product that will allow
    >users to dial into our LAN.  Any information on such a product would
    >help greatly.
    >
    >Please e-mail me directly and I will post a summary in comp.dcom.lans.
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >David Brenner
    >brenner@ucunix.san.uc.edu

And below are the respnoses I got.  Sorry it took so long but I had finals
and other miscelaneous things to do.

David

From smc!hendel@uunet.UU.NET

LanMaster makes a product called INCOMSERV that allows Dialing In and
Out of a Network. It works with Novell networks based on Arcnet,
Ethernet and Token Ring cards, and is based on a 386 workstation
running multitasking DOS.

For more information, you can contact them at (817) 771-2124

Ariel Hendel
Standard MicroSystems Corp.

From grian!grian.cps.altadena.ca.us!morris@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov

It would help if you were to mention what kind of LAN (i.e. Novell,
Banyan, LAn Manager, etc), what rev, and what topography (i.e. thin
ethernet, etc.)

--
Mike Morris   WA6ILQ   | This space intentionally left blank.
PO Box 1130            | All flames to /dev/null please.

From smc!hendel@uunet.UU.NET

LanMaster makes a product called INCOMSERV that allows Dialing In and
Out of a Network. It works with Novell networks based on Arcnet,
Ethernet and Token Ring cards, and is based on a 386 workstation
running multitasking DOS.

For more information, you can contact them at (817) 771-2124

Ariel Hendel
Standard MicroSystems Corp.

From cekman@cougar.uswest.com

You may want to try CROSS LINK from cross communications.  This product allows
you to dial into a server (it's a background process on the server) and then
you can attach to any PC on the network that has the CROSS LINK software.  so
for example, if you have a PC on the network, you can dial in from home and
attach to your 'work' pc and operate as if you are attached to the LAN.
The have a demo setup that so that if you call them, they will download the
remote software to you and then let you dial into their LAN and attach to
one of their LAN attach PC's.  The demo's fun and the software works great.
Call Cross Communications and ask for Tom or Vicki.  Either one can
answer questions and arrange a demo for you.

-Christine Ekman

From mlikier@america.Telebit.COM

Greetings David:

My name is Marty Likier, marketing product manager at Telebit, and one of
my product responsibility is our Telebit ACS product line. (ACS stands for
Asynchronous Communications Server). The Telebit ACS is uniquely positioned
in the dedicated ACS marketplace, providing dynamic management of both
dial-in and dial-out modem services. We offer 2 versions of the ACS, an ISA
model that can provide up to 32 modems and an MCA model that provides up to
48 modems. In either case, the maximum port speed for each modem port can
be set from 300 to 57,600 bit/s (the fastest in the industry). We also
addres the needs of nearly all PC LANs by providing support for both
IPX/SPX (novell) and NetBIOS (IBM) communication protocols. We also operate
indepent of the LAN topology, ie, the network interface card can be
ethernet, token ring, etc. We have a host of management features like audit
log, break-out box, remote console and data trace features. The Telebit ACS
supports all major programming interfaces like interrupt 14 and NASI which
means there is a whole lot of communication software available for LAN
communications.(Incidently we package our ACS with a LAN license for
Crosstalk Mk 4 and pcANYWHERE IV/LAN and also include individual copies of
pcANYWHERE for remote dial-in.

If you would like me to fax you out a copy of our data sheet with proce
list or if you have any questions please don't hesitate to email me back. I
look forward to your posting.

Regards.

From root@hermes.intel.com

This may not be terribly helpful but all I can do at the moment.
A recent issue of Sun Expert had an article on routers that
touched on the subject. Telebit for one I think.

			Jim Binkley
			jrb@ichips.intel.com

From <@encore.encore.COM:griff@Xylogics.COM>

Most terminal servers allow an easy mechanism for users to dial-in to
a LAN. Depending on the applications you require, a number of options
are possible.

1) Terminal access to the LAN is available by dialing into a terminal
   server and using rlogin and telnet to access hosts in the network.

2) Dial-in IP access is achieved using SLIP (Serial Line Internet Protocol).
   Using a PC, or X-terminal running SLIP, you have full access to the
   TCP/IP protocol suite for telnet, FTP, SMTP, etc.

Xylogics manufactures the Annex 3 terminal server which provides these options.
Additionally, we provide security and logging features which will allow
controlled access to the LAN. If you have any questions about this product
please email me.

Scott Griffiths					phone: (617) 272-8140
Xylogics Annex Technical Support		email: griff@xylogics.com

From jcrowder@GroupW.cns.vt.edu

Hi,

Since you cross posted to tcpip, I assume you're running that protocol
on your lan.

Basically all you need is a terminal server.  The ones I've dealt with
have ethernet interfaces.  These guys can provide inbound telnet access
and most of them support slip.  Real simple stuff.  I've used 3com and
cisco with satisfactory results.

The Netblazer product from Telebit which I queried this group about the
other day is basically a terminal server with a few extra smarts.  It
does PPP and routing to provide dial up services and is apparently best
implemented with a Telebit 2500 modem (implying some proprietary stuff).

Hope this is useful.

Jeff Crowder
jcrowder@GroupW.cns.vt.edu

From ken@pluto.dss.com

Datability has a product called the VCP-1000 communications server.

It is a modular platform that supports TCP/IP and LAT on the LAN.

There are different cards that you can slide into the unit including
one that has 8 modems built into it.  you can get real fancy with the set up
so someone is automatically sent to a particular service or ip
addresss when they log in.

if you'd like more info...let me know...or better yet e-mail
info@dss.com

thanks

ken
Marketing Manager, International

From fmueller@napa.Telebit.COM

I can supply you with all of the NetBlazer information you need.  Let me
know if you would like it, or has someone already given you information?

Fritz Mueller
NetBlazer Product Manager

From isavax!cliffb@uunet.UU.NET

We have an Annex terminal server that supports dial-in via modem and then
lets you log in to any host on the net.  We like it a lot and they have some
very clever add-on to let you connect direct to a host or make a port a
psuedo-tty outgoing from a remote host.

Cliff

--
David L. Brenner                         brenner@ucunix.san.uc.edu
"Sorry, guys -- breaking into computers and writing a stupid virus