[comp.dcom.lans] IBM RS/6000 <==> Novell - Summary of Responses

rg@gandp (Dick Gill) (06/24/91)

My original posting:

>Several of our clients have the need to connect existing Novell
>networks to IBM RS/6000 systems.  The primary functionality
>needed is to allow PC's on the network to (1) login to the
>RS/6000 and (2) read/write files on the RS/6000 that are also
>available to programs running on that machine under AIX.  The
>networks already have sufficient file servers, so the RS/6000
>does not have to act in that capacity.  In all cases the
>environment is a busy law firm that puts heavy demands on the
>equipment and has little tolerence for failure or glitches.
>
>Reports of real-world experience would be appreciated.  Please
>e-mail and I will summarize to the net if there is interest.

I received several very interesting responses that show
different approaches to this problem, and, in response to several
requests, I am posting a summary here.

One approach was based on Netware 3.11 which, according to David
Hayes (uunet!sulaco.lonestar.org!merlin),  includes TCP/IP
routing.  He suggests a Netware Loadable Module (NLM) which
allows the Novell server to act as an NFS server, making files
available to both the RS/6000 and the PC's.

Steve Kavrak (uunet!griffin.UVM.DCU!cavrak) uses TCP/IP with the
Clarkson package but notes that other commercial products (PC/NFS
from Sun) could also do the job.

A long response from Daniel A. Graifer (uunet!fciva!dag) offers
the previously mentioned alternatives as well as a product
called ProLinc from Hughes Lan Systems that permits a PC to have
simultaneous access to LAT, TCP/IP, NFS and Netware.  He also
notes a freeware DOS based NFS server called SOSS.  Finally, he
notes that he an a number of comp.dcom.lans readers are about to
get ready to do the same thing.

A phone message from an IBM'er suggested a product called
Atlantix Axcess.  According to published write-ups about that
product, it `enables any combination of AIX, UNIX, DOS,
Macintosh or OS/2 computers to talk across TCP/IP, Novell, LAN
manager and NetBIOS networks on Ethernet, Token Ring, ARCNET and
StarLAN.'

Diane Calleson (uunet!hal.econ.Virginia.EDU!diane) writes:
`Here at UVA we have RS6000s connected over a TCP/IP network.  We have a
bunch of Novell file servers on ethernet... which serves  PC Telnet
to the PCs.  The PCs then connect to the RS6000... via the tcp/ip
network.'

Finally, Lon Stowell (uunet!pyrnova.pyramid.com!lstowell)
suggests Portable Netware on the RS/6000 to stay totally within
the NOS and to allow both unix and Novell access to the same files.
As to installation, he says that  `...setting up the permissions
can be a bit tricky but not much harder than programming a
VCR..'

Thanks to all who responded.  It appears that there is
substantial interest and knowledge about the subject in this forum
and I look forward to further correspondence and postings.

Dick Gill     Gill & Piette, Inc.             (703)761-1163  ..uunet!gandp!rg