[comp.dcom.lans] What PCs will the Sniffer work in?

andrewf@syacus.acus.oz.au (Andrew Friedman) (06/20/91)

Hi,

I'm wondering if the Sniffer (from Network General) LAN analyser cards
will work in other PCs besides the Compaq and Toshiba machines our local
distributor recommends.  It seems a little strange that Network General
isn't interested in making the card run in as many PCs as possible.
Perhaps somebody knows what requirements the card has from the PC or
knows whether the card will run in a Unisys PC (I think the high end
ones are based on an Intel motherboard). Oh, we're especially interested
in the 802.3 card, if it makes a difference.

BTW, if anyone has saved a collection of reviews on LAN analysers, I'd
appreciate a copy. We particularly need OSI analysis capabilities at
least up to and including Layer 4.

Regards,

Andrew

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun20.065144.8366@syacus.acus.oz.au> andrewf@syacus.acus.oz.au (Andrew Friedman) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I'm wondering if the Sniffer (from Network General) LAN analyser cards
>will work in other PCs besides the Compaq and Toshiba machines our local
>distributor recommends.  It seems a little strange that Network General
>isn't interested in making the card run in as many PCs as possible.

    It will work in other PC's....it is just that Network
    General currently provides support for their recommended
    units only.

    If you want to take on the responsibility, try it.

Obviously I don't speak for NG.