[comp.dcom.lans] Wasteful use of file-servers

omahony@swift.cs.tcd.ie (06/17/91)

In article <PCG.91Jun14183441@aberdb.aber.ac.uk>, pcg@aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:
> Using a high speed machine with
> high speed disks is wasted as a file server; in practice file service is
> neither CPU bound nor IO bound, but network bound.
and
> Having a server than can provide an aggregate thruput of more
> than 1MB/sec. is entirely pointless, and any modern (16Mhz) 286 AT with
> some decent ESDI or SCSI disk controller and a couple of disks will do.

The argument above makes perfect sense technically, but is in complete
conflict with current practice.  Normally, small networks are built with
a number of medium or low-powered client machines, and a fast server machine.

Does anyone have a counter-argument?

Does the ESDI or other fast-bus make much of a difference e.g. 10%, 20%, 50%?

dan@gacvx2.gac.edu (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun17.145457.7964@swift.cs.tcd.ie>, omahony@swift.cs.tcd.ie writes:
> In article <PCG.91Jun14183441@aberdb.aber.ac.uk>, pcg@aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:
>> Using a high speed machine with
>> high speed disks is wasted as a file server; in practice file service is
>> neither CPU bound nor IO bound, but network bound.
> and
>> Having a server than can provide an aggregate thruput of more
>> than 1MB/sec. is entirely pointless, and any modern (16Mhz) 286 AT with
>> some decent ESDI or SCSI disk controller and a couple of disks will do.
>>

> The argument above makes perfect sense technically, but is in complete
> conflict with current practice.  Normally, small networks are built with
> a number of medium or low-powered client machines, and a fast server machine.
>
> Does anyone have a counter-argument?
>
> Does the ESDI or other fast-bus make much of a difference e.g. 10%, 20%, 50%?

A fast machine will generally have more I/O bandwidth.  When considering PC
compatables, I/O bandwidth is currently more important than CPU speed (medium
performance 386 systems still have the same speed buss that the original PC AT
had.)  A fast server will reduce the amount of time between receiving a client
request and sending the response.  A fast network will reduce the time it take
for the requests to be sent (in both directions.)  A faster bus will decrease
the time it takes to move data from the network interface, and from the disk
controler.  Almost all of the above parameters apply to clients as well.  I
suspect that the above could be reduced to some math, but the real point is
that the network isn't the only bottleneck.  Data must be pipelined from the
client, through the network, arround inside the server, and back out to the
client, each step represents a delay.

A wide bus like MCA or EISA help since they can transfer more bytes per cycle.
To take advantage of them, it is best to by a network card and disk controler
that can take advantage of the full width of the bus.

--
Dan Boehlke                    Internet:  dan@gac.edu
Campus Network Manager         BITNET:    dan@gacvax1.bitnet

ecn947z@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (06/25/91)

>> Using a high speed machine with
>> high speed disks is wasted as a file server; in practice file service is
>> neither CPU bound nor IO bound, but network bound.
> and
>> Having a server than can provide an aggregate thruput of more
>> than 1MB/sec. is entirely pointless, and any modern (16Mhz) 286 AT with
>> some decent ESDI or SCSI disk controller and a couple of disks will do.
>>

> The argument above makes perfect sense technically, but is in complete
> conflict with current practice.  Normally, small networks are built with
> a number of medium or low-powered client machines, and a fast server machine.
>
> Does anyone have a counter-argument?
>
> Does the ESDI or other fast-bus make much of a difference e.g. 10%, 20%, 50%?

On a small 2.5MB/sec ARCNET Novell 286 SFT LAN the console shows peaks of
40-50% server activity with reasonably heavy ARCNET activity. It appears
to be Network bound. I have heard of `crashes' on a larger Ethernet/ARCNET
Novell 286 SFT LAN doing 'NCOPYs' of 6MByte files from one subdirectory
to another with mirrored drives. It appeared to forget about the LAN while
performing the NCOPY and crashed (repeated a number of times to confirm
the cause). IO Bound is the guess. A couple of 'large' XCOPYs from some
fast 386/33 PCs can slow the same LAN configuration to snails pace, but
no crashes. Network bound again. A >250 fileserver Novell 286 LAN `RESET
ROUTER' console command can push activity to a short peak. A Higgins
exchange combined with a heavy user load (60% activity), or an abnormal
Higgins sorting load with light user load (5-10% activity) can push
activity to a sustained 100%. Processor bound is the guess. Ethernet
`storm' with few valid packets and 95-100% processor activity. Network
bound, a faster processor or disks will achieve nothing. These are just
a small number of examples with a few details. Normally the problem is
funding and not technical, the users have the lowest cost machine to
increase the number of available machines. Of course there are some
fast (costly) PCs purchased for status and the normal purchasing
policies may not apply. Sorry that I can recommend a perfect solution
to your questions.

User load on a LAN determines what you need, the person supplying the
money determines what is possible, and middle management determines
how poorly it will be implemented. Try some of the suggestions in
Chapt 12 of "Operations research for immediate application", Woolsey
and Swanson" 1975.