[comp.dcom.lans] Packet Drivers for XIRCOM enet adaptor

In article <3807@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au> legg@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Christian Legg) writes:

     Does anyone out there have a packet driver or similar for use
   with a Xircom ethernet adaptor?

I advise people not to buy Xircom adaptors.  Here's the story, you
can decide for yourself if you wish to buy their products:

I wrote some skeleton software to assist people writing network
drivers.  It's copyrighted using the FSF's GPL.  Xircom donated one of
their pocket Ethernet adapters to Brad Clements in our computing
center.  He used their object module and wrote some of his own code,
and linked it to my skeleton.  They were not happy when Brad told them
that the copyright required that they release their source code.  And
I insisted that they do so.  So we came up with a compromise -- they
would give the source to anyone who signed a nondisclosure agreement.
I thought that was reasonable (at the time), and agreed to it.  So
they went on distributing it.  Then I heard that they had reneged on
our agreement, and that they were writing their own proprietary packet
driver.  However, they continued to distribute the one derived from my
code so I called for a boycott of their products.  Legal action
wouldn't be useful, because I have no money to sue them, and they've
been making lots of money off their adaptors.  And even the boycott
isn't going to accomplish much because the people who need packet
drivers aren't a large part of their business.

So, I guess they get away with their theft.

There are alternatives to their products made by D-Link, Accton Technology,
and others.

--
--russ <nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu> I'm proud to be a humble Quaker.
I am leaving the employ of Clarkson as of June 30.  Hopefully this email

legg@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Christian Legg) (06/26/91)

  Hello folks,

  Does anyone out there have a packet driver or similar for use with a Xircom
ethernet adaptor? We'd like to use a slotless notebook PC with both Novell
and Telnet, and the only way we can connect it to the network is via a Xircom
plugged onto the printer port.

  any leads would be appreciated

  christian legg
  legg@itd.adelaide.edu.au

will@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (William Sadler) (06/26/91)

In <3807@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au> legg@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Christian Legg) writes:

>  Does anyone out there have a packet driver or similar for use with a Xircom
>ethernet adaptor? We'd like to use a slotless notebook PC with both Novell
>and Telnet, and the only way we can connect it to the network is via a Xircom
>plugged onto the printer port.

Xircom distributes a packet driver on a disk with their product that will
allow simultaneous IP/IPX.  If I have the story correctly, they obtained
it from Russ Nelson et al., but began to sell it as their own, thereby
invoking the wrath of Russ Nelson and his group.  Maybe they aren't
distributing it any more because of this?  Anyway, it exists.  Call Xircom.

Will

*   _______________\|/_      Will Sadler     will@cica.indiana.edu        *
*   Laser 44888    /|\                       sadler@iubacs.bitnet         *

rbf@sactoh0.sac.ca.us (Robert B. Ferrell) (06/27/91)

I hope some can tell me this can't be done, but some genius at work
has decided they want to interconnect an IBM
LAN-server-on-token-ring to a DEC / VMS Decnet.  They've already
found out about DECs thinwire to IBM type 3 cable products (I Think
its type 3 anyway) so we're running DECnet on thinwire on 4 wire
shielded twisted pair via DECconnect to the "big black connectors"
cables.

Any thoughts? Sympathy?? Or am I just being stuffy???

Thanks in advance for any input.

Bruce Ferrell
A poor overworked workstation support engineer.

--