[comp.dcom.lans] FDDI cable

ali@sequoia.UUCP (Ali Toossi) (06/25/91)

  Need some general informations about FDDI cabling. We have two buildings
  that are ~400 ft. apart. A contractor/installer tells me that cable must be
  buried underground but I've heard from other sources that cable can go on
  poles, Our CCTV's cables between two buildings run on pole.
  Is there any books or manuals on FDDI cabling, specs, and how to do? We have
  an in-house electrician who ran the cable for CCTV.

  Thanks in advance.

  Ali Toossi                                 UUCP: ... !cs.utexas.edu!execu!ali
  COMSHARE, INC.   Austin, Texas.            Internet:  ali@execu.com

randy@rls.UUCP (Randall L. Smith) (06/26/91)

In article <38734@sequoia.UUCP>, ali@sequoia.UUCP (Ali Toossi) writes:

>   Need some general informations about FDDI cabling. We have two buildings
>   that are ~400 ft. apart. A contractor/installer tells me that cable must be
>   buried underground but I've heard from other sources that cable can go on
>   poles, Our CCTV's cables between two buildings run on pole.
>   Is there any books or manuals on FDDI cabling, specs, and how to do? We have
>   an in-house electrician who ran the cable for CCTV.

Last month I picked up, "The Fiber Optic LAN Handbook" (ISBN 0-9626933-3-2)
by Codenoll Technology Corporation, from my friendly local Pioneer-Standard
Electronics salesbeing.  For the princely sum of free.  Otherwise, it runs
$17.95 US.

If you aren't fortunate enough to have a Pioneer contact, then contact
Codenoll at;

	Codenoll Technology Corporation
	1086 North Broadway
	Yonkers, NY  10701 USA
	+1 914 965 6300

The book begins with a large chapter titled, "Everything You Always Wanted
To Know About Fiber Optics And LANs, But Were Afraid To Ask!".  The book
then goes into fairly initmate detail regarding FDDI.  There are quite
technically oriented abstracts, articles and so on, of the science of
fiber communication.  IMHO, the book is *very* good content wise, but
crudely assembled.  The articles and chapters are in different fonts and
typefaces.  It did't particularly bother me as I just needed the facts.

Don't leave home without it.

Cheers!

- randy

Usenet: randy@rls.uucp
Bangpath: ...<backbone>!osu-cis!rls!randy
Internet: rls!randy@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
C -- the language that put the fu in fubar.

willis@photon.tamu.edu (Willis Marti) (06/27/91)

In article <38734@sequoia.UUCP>, ali@sequoia.UUCP (Ali Toossi) writes:

|>   Need some general informations about FDDI cabling. We have two buildings
|>   that are ~400 ft. apart. A contractor/installer tells me that cable must be
|>   buried underground but I've heard from other sources that cable can go on
|>   poles, Our CCTV's cables between two buildings run on pole.

The choice isn't as much technical as political.  If you have the right to use
the poles and don't pass over public property, then no sweat.  Otherwise it is
much like any other building permit issue.

You do need to look at the optical cable type and make sure the outer covering
is rated for outdoor use.

pjw@hpctdkr.col.hp.com (Peter Walsh) (06/27/91)

/ hpctdkr:comp.dcom.lans / randy@rls.UUCP (Randall L. Smith) /  3:57 pm  Jun 25, 1991 /
In article <38734@sequoia.UUCP>, ali@sequoia.UUCP (Ali Toossi) writes:

>   Need some general informations about FDDI cabling. We have two buildings
>   that are ~400 ft. apart. A contractor/installer tells me that cable must be
>   buried underground but I've heard from other sources that cable can go on
>   poles, Our CCTV's cables between two buildings run on pole.
>   Is there any books or manuals on FDDI cabling, specs, and how to do? We have
>   an in-house electrician who ran the cable for CCTV.

Last month I picked up, "The Fiber Optic LAN Handbook" (ISBN 0-9626933-3-2)
by Codenoll Technology Corporation, from my friendly local Pioneer-Standard
Electronics salesbeing.  For the princely sum of free.  Otherwise, it runs
$17.95 US.

If you aren't fortunate enough to have a Pioneer contact, then contact
Codenoll at;

	Codenoll Technology Corporation
	1086 North Broadway
	Yonkers, NY  10701 USA
	+1 914 965 6300

The book begins with a large chapter titled, "Everything You Always Wanted
To Know About Fiber Optics And LANs, But Were Afraid To Ask!".  The book
then goes into fairly initmate detail regarding FDDI.  There are quite
technically oriented abstracts, articles and so on, of the science of
fiber communication.  IMHO, the book is *very* good content wise, but
crudely assembled.  The articles and chapters are in different fonts and
typefaces.  It did't particularly bother me as I just needed the facts.

Don't leave home without it.

Cheers!

- randy

Usenet: randy@rls.uucp
Bangpath: ...<backbone>!osu-cis!rls!randy
Internet: rls!randy@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
C -- the language that put the fu in fubar.
----------

pjw@hpctdkr.col.hp.com (Peter Walsh) (06/27/91)

I depends entirely on the type of installation the cable was made for.
In the book "Understanding Fiber Optics" by SAM's pages 85-90 talk
about aerial installations. I would talk to the cable manufacturer,
not an installer.

Peter J. Walsh
pjw@hpctdkw.hp.com
Hewlett Packard
Colorado Telecommunication Division

lim@slc6.INS.CWRU.Edu (Hock Koon Lim) (06/27/91)

In article <40050004@hpctdkr.col.hp.com> pjw@hpctdkr.col.hp.com (Peter Walsh) writes:
>/ hpctdkr:comp.dcom.lans / randy@rls.UUCP (Randall L. Smith) /  3:57 pm  Jun 25, 1991 /
>In article <38734@sequoia.UUCP>, ali@sequoia.UUCP (Ali Toossi) writes:
>>
>>   Need some general informations about FDDI cabling. We have two buildings
>>   that are ~400 ft. apart. A contractor/installer tells me that cable must be
>>   buried underground but I've heard from other sources that cable can go on
>>   poles, Our CCTV's cables between two buildings run on pole.
>>   Is there any books or manuals on FDDI cabling, specs, and how to do? We have
>>   an in-house electrician who ran the cable for CCTV.

 Siecor has published a nice book call "FDDI network cabling guide" and
give a lot of detail design information of a fiber optic based network.
You can get this book from your distributor or call Siecor at 1-800-634-9064.

  You sure can run the fiber cable on the pole between building.  However, if
possible, I would advise you to run it in the underground conduit for better
protection.   We have a small segment(~1000') of our fiber is running on the light
poles in order to get across the rail road tracks.  We try to get them under
the track but after  a year of negotiation, most of the issues still have not
get resolve.

--
Hock-Koon Lim, Information Network services
Case Western Reserve University; Cleveland, Ohio, USA  44106