[comp.dcom.lans] NCSA telnet and tn3270

williams@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Gus Williams) (06/27/91)

We are using NCSA telnet on several pc's.  We have no complaints at all
except for the IBM PS/2's.  On these machines telbin.exe will not run.
The program starts fine but when it appears to connect to another machine
all sorts of garbage fills the screen.

On most of the machines telnet is the only network software running.  ON
some of the machines we are running 3COM network software.  All the machines
have 3COM boards in them.

We can however run the tn3270.exe program on the PS/2's with no problem,
except that when we log into the CRAY or the VAX computers they do not
understand the 3270 keyboard.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with telbin.exe on IBM PS/2
computers? and if so have you solved it?

I would be interested in any solution or suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

--
GUS WILLIAMS			   williams@casbah.acns.nwu.edu
(708) 491-3838  Northwestern U.	   williams@voltaire.cme.nwu.edu

Aengus Lawlor <RBYAML@ROHVM1.BITNET> (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.134657.10869@casbah.acns.nwu.edu>,
williams@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Gus Williams) says:

>We are using NCSA telnet on several pc's.  We have no complaints at all
>except for the IBM PS/2's.  On these machines telbin.exe will not run.
>The program starts fine but when it appears to connect to another machine
>all sorts of garbage fills the screen.
I have heard it suggested that you have to set the BIOS setting in CONFIG.TEL
to yes for PS/2s. I don't have one, so I can't say for sure.

>On most of the machines telnet is the only network software running.  ON
>some of the machines we are running 3COM network software.  All the machines
>have 3COM boards in them.
I would expect that, without a certain amount of messing about, you're
in an either/or situation with different network software. Usually they
not going to work concurrently by default.

>We can however run the tn3270.exe program on the PS/2's with no problem,
>except that when we log into the CRAY or the VAX computers they do not
>understand the 3270 keyboard.
??. I use TN3270 all the time, not just for connecting to IBM machines.
TN3270 is (or at least my version is) a superset of telbin, and is quite
happy to be a vt102 instead of a 3270. Again, check your CONFIG.TEL,
especially the setting for tnmode.

>Has anyone else experienced this problem with telbin.exe on IBM PS/2
>computers? and if so have you solved it?
>
>I would be interested in any solution or suggestions.
>
>Thanks in advance.
Hope this helps.

Aengus
--
RBYAML@ROHMHAAS.COM                    Aengus Lawlor
RBYAML@ROHVM1.BITNET                   (who used to be ALAWLOR@DIT.IE)

scott@pita.cns.ucla.edu (Scott Burris) (06/29/91)

In article <1991Jun27.134657.10869@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> williams@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Gus Williams) writes:
>We are using NCSA telnet on several pc's.  We have no complaints at all
>except for the IBM PS/2's.  On these machines telbin.exe will not run.
>The program starts fine but when it appears to connect to another machine
>all sorts of garbage fills the screen.
>

>--
>GUS WILLIAMS			   williams@casbah.acns.nwu.edu
>(708) 491-3838  Northwestern U.	   williams@voltaire.cme.nwu.edu
>(708) 972-4609  Argonne N. Lab.    williams@adelaide.eid.anl.gov
>         omnis voluptas bona est (Lorenzo Valla, 1440)

We have successfully used NCSA telnet and TN3270 on PS/2's with no problems
using Ungerman Bass ethernet boards and IBM 16/4 token ring boards.
For the token ring connected machines, we have run NCSA telnet/TN3270,
Attachmate's EXTRA! (SNA 3270 emulator) and the Novell source routed
IPX driver all under Windows 3.0 without trouble (although you can't
run more that 1 NCSA telnet at a time).

--
Scott Burris