[comp.periphs] a portable device for projecting computer displays?

marks@milano.UUCP (12/14/86)

Is there some device available which could be easily carried around
with a laptop PC, and attached to the external monitor port to be used
in conjunction with either an overhead projector or a slide projector
for projection onto a screen?

  |   Peter Marks, MCC, 9390 Research Blvd., Austin TX 78759   |
  |             (512)338-3349       marks@mcc.com              |
  | {gatech,harvard,pyramid,seismo}!ut-sally!im4u!milano!marks |

dbl@duke.UUCP (David B. Leonard) (12/15/86)

In article <3122@milano.UUCP> marks@milano.UUCP writes:
>Is there some device available which could be easily carried around
>with a laptop PC, and attached to the external monitor port to be used
>in conjunction with either an overhead projector or a slide projector
>for projection onto a screen?
>--
>
>  +------------------------------------------------------------+
>  |   Peter Marks, MCC, 9390 Research Blvd., Austin TX 78759   |
>  |             (512)338-3349       marks@mcc.com              |
>  | {gatech,harvard,pyramid,seismo}!ut-sally!im4u!milano!marks |
>  +------------------------------------------------------------+

A new product called Datashow, manufactured by Kodak, marketed by Sayett
Technology, will take CGA style RGB output (text and graphics) and display it
on a flat LCD display (black and white only) which can be projected on a
screen using a standard overhead projector.  Very small, compact, and easy to
use.  Cost, including carrying case is a little less than $1300.
Contact:
	Sayett Technology
	A Division of Eastman Technology, Inc.
	1133 Mt. Read Blvd.
	Rochester, NY 14606
	1-716-458-0177
|    David B. Leonard -- National Biomedical Simulation Resource     |
|    Duke University Medical Center, Box 3709, Durham, NC 27710      |
| (919)681-3048,3049 - US WATS (800)334-2083 - NC WATS (800)672-2543 |
|       {decvax,mcnc}!duke!dbl      dbl%duke@csnet-relay.arpa        |

bobr@zeus.UUCP (Robert Reed) (12/15/86)

I recently heard of an LCD device which sits atop an overhead projector in
place of a transparency, but that's all I know.  Who makes it, what
interfaces are provided and how well it works are unknown to me.
--
Robert Reed, Tektronix CAE Systems Division, bobr@zeus.TEK

jc@piaget.UUCP (John Cornelius) (12/19/86)

In article <3122@milano.UUCP> marks@milano.UUCP writes:
>Is there some device available which could be easily carried around
>with a laptop PC, and attached to the external monitor port to be used
>in conjunction with either an overhead projector or a slide projector
>for projection onto a screen?

In Focus, Inc.		1618 SW Fist Ave #316		(503)226-4502

I make no warranty nor do I imply any suitability of the device for your
intended use.  I saw it at Comdex and it worked.  It is a flat LCD that
attaches somehow to the PC and lies on an overhead projector.  The screen
image is impressed onto the LCD and projected onto the screen.  It is
monochrome only.  I do not know the resolution of the device.

--
John Cornelius
(...!sdcsvax!piaget!jc)

punia@uvm-gen.UUCP (David T. Punia) (12/24/86)

In article <147@piaget.UUCP>, jc@piaget.UUCP (John Cornelius) writes:
> In article <3122@milano.UUCP> marks@milano.UUCP writes:
> >Is there some device available which could be easily carried around
> >with a laptop PC, and attached to the external monitor port to be used
> >in conjunction with either an overhead projector or a slide projector
> >for projection onto a screen?
>
> In Focus, Inc.		1618 SW Fist Ave #316		(503)226-4502
> It is a flat LCD that
> attaches somehow to the PC and lies on an overhead projector.  The screen
> image is impressed onto the LCD and projected onto the screen.  It is
> monochrome only.  I do not know the resolution of the device.

	Kodak manufacturers such a system; it's called Datashow, and comprises
an LCD screen that sits on top of an overhead projector, an infrared remote
control, and a wall mounted power supply.  The system's cabling provides a
'Y' connection to the output of a CGA type card, allowing your monitor to run
at the same time, and a serial port connector for use with the supplied
software.  The software, called SHOWMAKER, is intended to facilitate the
production of slide shows and help organize screen images.  The remote control
sends setup and control commands to the tablet and can also be used in
conjunction with SHOWMAKER.
	We've been looking for an inexpensive alternative to the SONY or other
video projection systems, which run $5K and up.  The DATASHOW system is less
than $1300 list.  Screen resolution is 640 X 200 and the aspect ratio matches
the IBM (1.3:1), so your circles come out as circles.  The active area of the
screen is about 6 X 8 inches, and the overall dimensions are 11.8 X 13 X 2.1".
	The display image is pretty good, with contrast, brightness, and
centering adjustable with the remote.  The image can also be inverted to give
light on dark or dark on light displays.  The nicest thing about it, versus the
projectors, is that you can get a nice bright image that doesn't require a
high gain screen or a pitch dark room.  If you look closely, though there is
some flickering of some of the pixels, but at distance the effect is not
very noticeable.
	For more info, Kodak has a toll-free number: 1-800-44KODAK
           Or, for those who hate that as much as I: 1-800-445-6325

--
David T. Punia                    USENET --> ....!decvax!dartvax!uvm-gen!punia
Univ. of Vermont, CSEE dept.      CSNET ---> punia@uvm