[comp.periphs] st506 5 1/4" disk > 190 meg

sohail@elrond.UUCP (Sohail M. Hussain) (12/24/86)

I have a machine that will take st506 winchester, and the
largest that i have been able to find are the xt2190 from
maxtor. These are 190 unformatted, and about 150 formatted.

does anyone know of a larger disk that is currently available

ideally i would like to get to about 250 meg formatted.

thanks in advance

sohail
--
Sohail Hussain
uucp:	 ...{decvax|wanginst|savax}!elrond!sohail

In article <576@elrond.UUCP> sohail@elrond.UUCP (Sohail M. Hussain) writes:

>I have a machine that will take st506 winchester, and the
>largest that i have been able to find are the xt2190 from
>maxtor. These are 190 unformatted, and about 150 formatted.
>does anyone know of a larger disk that is currently available
>ideally i would like to get to about 250 meg formatted.

Be sure that your disk controller actually supports these drives.  Many ST506
controllers only support N heads, where N is often 8.  Some support 16 heads,
but this is and ad-hoc modification of the ST506 interface.

You will also neead a formatting program that allows inputting of the drive
parameters and does not impose any aribtrary limits.

Lastly, most of the large capacity 5.25" winchesters are not available in
ST506 interface, either because a different data rate is used, or the
manufacturer wishes to avoid the number of heads, or seek performance limits
imposed by ST506 compatibility.