[comp.periphs] 5 to 20Mb/s discs for VAX under VMS - suggestions/reviews

trw@gec-rl-hrc.co.uk (Trevor Wright Marconi Baddow) (01/14/87)

Has anyone got a review of reecommended disc drives for VAX under VMS
which provide between 5 and 20Mbyte/sec performance or can u suggest
any.

Trevor Wright
GEC Research

yc23%a.gec-mrc.co.uk@ucl-cs

cetron@utah-cs.UUCP (01/18/87)

In article <84@gec-rl-hrc.co.uk> trw@gec-rl-hrc.co.uk (Trevor Wright Marconi Baddow) writes:
>Has anyone got a review of reecommended disc drives for VAX under VMS
>which provide between 5 and 20Mbyte/sec performance or can u suggest
>any.

	WHY????  I recall that the max bandwith of a Qbus is about 4Mbyte/sec
in block mode DMA, the Unibus is down around 2.2 Mbyte/sec, the massbuss was
only about 4 Mbyte/sec, and the even the great glorious (-: BI bus is about
13 Mbytes/sec and none of dec's controllers are near that fast...

tihor@acf4.UUCP (Stephen Tihor) (01/18/87)

If you really need 5 to 20 megs per second you should look at some of the
Attached systems vendors.  Aptec has the best rep among my  friends in
aviation simulations but there are a couple of other companies trying to
play in the same sandbox.

mangler@cit-vax.UUCP (01/19/87)

In article <4179@utah-cs.UUCP>, cetron@utah-cs.UUCP (Edward J Cetron) writes:
>	WHY????  I recall that the max bandwith of a Qbus is about 4Mbyte/sec
> in block mode DMA, the Unibus is down around 2.2 Mbyte/sec, the massbuss was
> only about 4 Mbyte/sec, and the even the great glorious (-: BI bus is about
> 13 Mbytes/sec and none of dec's controllers are near that fast...

Unibuses and Massbuses are only half that fast.

For that matter, the VAX-750 and VAX-780 memory controllers will only do
about 5 megabytes/second, for all the busses (and the CPU) put together.

Perhaps the original poster meant mega-bits, not mega-bytes?
There are many good SMD disks with transfer rates from 8 to 20
megabits per second.

Don Speck   speck@vlsi.caltech.edu  {seismo,rutgers,ames}!cit-vax!speck