[net.music] Alan Parsons Project

showard@udenva.UUCP (showard) (09/25/85)

   This is a query/questionnaire to other Alan Parsons Project fans.  Have
you noticed that most non-APP-fans (including record stores and the New Rol-
ling Stone Record Guide) consider "I, Robot" to be the group's best album?
   Interestingly enough, most APP-fans that I know consider I, Robot to be
an inferior album, especially when compared with Tales of Mystery and Imagin-
ation.  So the question is this:  how do you rank the APP albums, from Tales
to Vulture Culture?  Here's my list:

     1.) Tales of Mystery and Imagination
     2.) Turn of a Friendly Card
     3.) Eye in the Sky
     4.) Ammonia Avenue
     5.) Pyramid
     6.) Vulture Culture
     7.) Eve  (penalized for the Bee-Gees-like "You Won't be There")
     8.) I, Robot

   If I've left one out, it's because I'm in a hurry.  Mail me replies and
I'll post a summary.  (I left out the Greatest Hits collection on purpose)

   --Mr. Blore, the DJ who would not die
   -- udenva!showard

tynor@gitpyr.UUCP (Steve Tynor) (09/29/85)

In article <865@udenva.UUCP> showard@udenva.UUCP (showard) writes:
>   Interestingly enough, most APP-fans that I know consider I, Robot to be
>an inferior album, especially when compared with Tales of Mystery and Imagin-
>ation.

Well, it's inferior to Tales of Mystery... (one of my all time favorite
LP's), but it's (in my humble opinion) APP's next best album:

     1.) Tales of Mystery and Imagination
     2.) I, Robot
     3.) Turn of a Friendly Card
     4.) Pyramid
     5.) Eve  [ one song does not an album make ]

*    Eye in the Sky
*    Ammonia Avenue
*    Vulture Culture

(*  I've only heard the singles off these, so I won't rate them)

Progress means replacing something wrong with something more subtly wrong.

    Steve Tynor
    Georgia Instutute of Technology

 ...{akgua, allegra, amd, harpo, hplabs,
     ihnp4, masscomp, ut-ngp, rlgvax, sb1,
     uf-cgrl, unmvax, ut-sally}  !gatech!gitpyr!tynor

dkl@usl.UUCP (Dwayne K. Lanclos) (10/01/85)

In article  <826@gitpyr.UUCP> tynor@gitpyr.UUCP (Steve Tynor) writes:

>In article <865@udenva.UUCP> showard@udenva.UUCP (showard) writes:
>>   Interestingly enough, most APP-fans that I know consider I, Robot to be
>>an inferior album, especially when compared with Tales of Mystery and Imagin-
>>ation.
>>
>Well, it's inferior to Tales of Mystery... (one of my all time favorite
>LP's), but it's (in my humble opinion) APP's next best album:
>
>     1.) Tales of Mystery and Imagination
>     2.) I, Robot
>     3.) Turn of a Friendly Card
>     4.) Pyramid
>     5.) Eve  [ one song does not an album make ]
>
>*    Eye in the Sky
>*    Ammonia Avenue
>*    Vulture Culture
>
>(*  I've only heard the singles off these, so I won't rate them)

I think _Eye in the Sky_ ranks up there with _I, Robot_ and _Turn of a
Friendly Card_.  I like the first side of _Tales of Mystery and Imagination_,
but not the second side.  _Pyramid_ left me sort of dry after one listening.
_Eve_ is great, too.  _Ammonia Avenue_ panders to pop tastes too much as
APP tries to live off its reputation.  I haven't heard _Vulture Culture_.

Has anyone seen the reviews of APP albums in _The Rolling Stone Record
Buying Guide_?  I believe _I, Robot_ was given three stars (meaning of
interest to those liking that type of music) while _Eve_ and _Turn of a
Friendly Card_ were given little squares (meaning these should never have
been made).  Makes me wonder if the reviewer was listening to the same
records I was.
Come to the shell for answers.

dwayne
{akgua, ut-sally}!usl!dkl