[comp.periphs] battery-powered printers - summary

david@varian.UUCP (02/07/87)

Thanks to everyone who replied to my query for a battery-powered
printer (for use with TRS-102).  I came across a couple of printed
references as well, which I have included.

From Byte 2/87 - Review of 4 Ink-Jet Printers:

Diconix Inc, POB 3100, Dayton OH 45420  (513)259-3100

Diconix 150	$479
Uses 5 C-size nicads
Produces 150 pages of text per charge
inkjet cartridges are $9.95
150 cps (draft), 50 cps (NLQ)
Draft, NLQ, script, italic, bold, enlarged, condensed, superscript,
	subscript, and uderlined text
1133 dots/line graphics resolution
IBM/Epson emulation
120v AC adaptor/recharger
2K byte buffer
parallel interface

From 1987 PC Tech Journal Directory:

Axonix Corp, 417 Wakara Way, Salt Lake City, UT 84108  (801) 582-9271

Axonix Thin Print 80  $299
40 cps; resolution 960x7 dots/line
5x7 matrix
2K buffer
Includes battery, charger

Axonix ThinType 80   $429
15 cps daisy wheel
80 byte buffer

Axonix ThinWrite 80  $449
10-12 cps ; 50 cps
9x9 or 18x23 matrix
80 byte buffer

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 87 18:16:17 EST
From: kodak!ornitz (barry ornitz)
Subject: Re: battery-powered printers

I am not sure about the interface to both the typewriter and the computer,
but a friend here in town uses a certain model Brother typewriter which
can be powered by batteries.  I helped him build an adapter to provide
the necessary voltage from his auto battery.  He uses this system to provide
hardcopy with his mobile amateur packet radio station and claims it works
well.  There was some discussion on the net recently about this model
typewriter being on sale at Sears nationwide.  If you want, I can
dig further into this for you (i.e. call my friend!).  Another possibility
is a simple power inverter running from a car battery which can be charged
with solar cells.  This is beginning to sound like an interesting project.

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 87 03:29:15 EST
From: John J. Chew III <varian!ihnp4!utcs.toronto.edu!poslfit>

We have a Kodak Diconix at work to use with a Toshiba T1100+ and I
have been very impressed with it overall.  I'll see if I can dig up
the spec sheet on it and mail you relevant details.  It emulates
either an epson mx or an ibm proprinter (and to think, a salesman
once tried to tell me the two were mutually interchangeable, faugh.)
The only drawback I seem to recall is that it was a little pricey.

If you could forward me any information you have about other printers
(the only other one I've looked at is the Hush, and i didn't enjoy
the look), I'd appreciate it.
--
john j. chew (v3.0)
{cbosgd,decvax,mnetor,utai,utcsri,{allegra,linus}!utzoo}!utcs!poslfit

From: brent@rtech.UUCP (Brent Williams)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy,comp.periphs
Date: 22 Jan 87 17:51:21 GMT

I like the Axonix.  A friend uses it with a Toshiba 1100+ and says it's
great.  I particularly like the feature that the batteries are installed
in the core of the paper roller.  While this makes for a little longer time
to change batteries, it reduces the size and profile of the printer
considerably.  It is about half the height and same footprint as the HP
ThinkJet, and it uses the same print head cartridges as the HP printer.
It has full Epson emulation, and the print quality is pretty reasonable.
Price is reasonable -- $449 list, though you can probably pick it up for
about $375 - 400 if you shop around.

From: rjn@hpfcmp.HP.COM (Bob Niland)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs
Date: 25 Jan 87 04:14:34 GMT

The HP ThinkJet is available in two battery powered versions:

    2225P  Centronics (the version used with the IRS/Zenith laptop)
    2225B  HP-IL      (would require an HP-IL to RS-232C converter)

--
David Brown	 (415) 945-2199
Varian Instruments 2700 Mitchell Dr.  Walnut Creek, Ca. 94598