[comp.periphs] Large Capacity Disk Drives for Suns/Vaxen?

sklower@renoir.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (02/25/87)

Based on difficulties published here on the net, and on conversations
with friends, we have cancelled an order for two Fuji Super Eagles
and are looking for something to replace them with.  We are disclined
to order recently manufactured regular eagles or the CDC 800MB disk drives
(having heard of a least one failure of each).

Can anybody recommend any Large Capacity disk drives?  Is it likely
that the instances of problems with recently manufactured Fuji 2351's
are just flukes; that is, can you speak for their reliability?

Some possible drives that have come to our attention are the NEC 2352 and
2362 disk drives (at 520 and 800MB), which are 9" winchesters.  Toshiba
has recently introduced a 510MB 8" winchester.  The local distributor for
NEC claims that out of 2000 NEC drives shipped over the last two years,
only one has come back; and it was obviously dropped in shipment.  Further,
the claim was made that returned drive functioned properly after having
its boards were reseated.

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (02/26/87)

In article <17519@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> sklower@renoir.Berkeley.EDU (Keith Sklower) writes:

>Some possible drives that have come to our attention are the NEC 2352 and
>2362 disk drives (at 520 and 800MB), which are 9" winchesters.  Toshiba
>has recently introduced a 510MB 8" winchester.  The local distributor for
>NEC claims that out of 2000 NEC drives shipped over the last two years,
>only one has come back; and it was obviously dropped in shipment.  Further,
>the claim was made that returned drive functioned properly after having
>its boards were reseated.

Well as the super-eagle fiasco proves, one model is not the same as another,
but I personally am greatly impressed with the NEC 8" drives.  I found two
168MB NEC drives, somewhat beat up, at a local electronics scrap place.  I
got them cheap in hopes that at least one would work, and was amazed that
both formated with *NO* bad sectors.  They've been working nicely ever since...