[comp.periphs] Comments Solicited on Wyse Terminals

zemon@felix.UUCP (02/19/87)

We are considering buying a lot of terminals to ship as
part of our product.  One of the brands we are thinking
about is Wyse.  Do you have comments on that brand?  Or any
other brand?

Thanks,
--
	-- Art Zemon
	   FileNet Corporation

phil@amdcad.UUCP (02/19/87)

In article <2297@felix.UUCP> zemon@felix.UUCP (Art Zemon) writes:

>We are considering buying a lot of terminals to ship as
>part of our product.  One of the brands we are thinking
>about is Wyse.  Do you have comments on that brand?  Or any
>other brand?

Wyse is ok, except they never read the part of the RS-232 spec which
says DTE (data terminal equipment) shall use a male DB-25 connector.

At least DEC and IBM get this right. (IBM blew it on their 3101 but
got their act together with the 7171.) I don't like what DEC did with
the <> characters on their VT220 keyboard, however.

--
 How can I be Asian when I like milk so much?

 Phil Ngai +1 408 982 7840
 UUCP: {ucbvax,decwrl,hplabs,allegra}!amdcad!phil
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

david@sun.UUCP (02/19/87)

In article <2297@felix.UUCP> zemon@felix.UUCP (Art Zemon) writes:
>We are considering buying a lot of terminals to ship as
>part of our product.  One of the brands we are thinking
>about is Wyse.  Do you have comments on that brand?  Or any
>other brand?

Wyse 30s and 50s are generally OK, but they only have one attribute
(protect) which doesn't occupy a character position.  This can be used
for standout but it's painful.  If your applications make heavy use of
underline, dim, etc. look elsewhere (maybe at Wy-60s, which I haven't
used).

The Wy-50 is worth the extra money over the 30 if it's going to be used
heavily (and you can turn the stupid status line off).
--
David DiGiacomo  {decvax, ihnp4, ucbvax}!sun!david  david@sun.arpa
Sun Microsystems, Mt. View, CA  (415) 691-7495

uusgth@sw1e.UUCP (02/22/87)

In article <2297@felix.UUCP>, zemon@felix.UUCP writes:
> We are considering buying a lot of terminals to ship as
> part of our product.  One of the brands we are thinking
> about is Wyse.  Do you have comments on that brand?  Or any
> other brand?
> Thanks,
> 	-- Art Zemon
> 	   FileNet Corporation
> 	   Costa Mesa, California
> 	   ...! {decvax, ihnp4, ucbvax} !trwrb!felix!zemon

The Wyse 75 and 85's are excellent, low-cost high quality terminals
for those who don't need anything special, like big mem scroll back.
(We have hundreds of them in use here)
The new "flat screen" (60, I think) is also good. One of the best
"keyboards" around. Has caused me to look at the Wyse 286 also.

Tom Helton
Southwestern Bell {bellcore|pyuxww|ihnp4}!sw1e!uusgth

Opinions are mine; not Southwestern Bell

lyndon@ncc.UUCP (02/27/87)

In article <14850@amdcad.UUCP>, phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
> [...]
> Wyse is ok, except they never read the part of the RS-232 spec which
> says DTE (data terminal equipment) shall use a male DB-25 connector.

Sure they did! There's a male connector on every terminal :-)

One minor gripe is the layout and use of the function keys (I'm talking
WY-85 here). It provides the four standard PF keys over the numberic
pad, plus another 20 (?) function keys along the top of the keyboard.
Unfortunately, the default configuration uses F1-F5 for useful things
such as BLOCK SEND, RESET, etc... They can be reprogrammed, however my
termcap entry for this terminal is getting rather huge. Same applies
to F11-F15 (? - The third group from the left). This is where you find
goddies like ESC, LF, BS, and others. Again, they can be reprogrammed,
but the lack of an ESC key in the "proper" location makes life frustrating
sometimes (i.e there isn't anyplace convenient to move the ESC key to).

And I'm even getting used to the damn <> keys!

All in all though, I am quite pleased with them. I run a 400' unshielded
serial cable to mine at 19.2K without handshaking of any sort, and have
yet to be hit by line noise or buffer overflow.

--
Lyndon Nerenberg - Nexus Computing Corp. - lyndon@ncc.UUCP
UUCP: {ihnp4,ubc-vision,vax135,watmath}!alberta!ncc!lyndon