[comp.periphs] Summary of Writing UNIX device drivers for SCSI 1/2" tape

bradlee@cg-d.UUCP (Rob Bradlee X5153) (03/06/87)

Recently I posted a plea for help with writing a SCSI 1/2" tape
driver under SUN unix.  Several people kindly offered helpful advice.
Unfortunately, no additional sources of information emerged from
this advice beyond what I had already discovered.  However, here is
a summary of what's useful:

	Bach's "The Design of the Unix Operating System". All respondents
	suggested this book and no others, so I would say this is a good
	consensus that this is a fine book.  I find it very useful.

	SUN has a manual "Guide to writing Device Drivers" (improved in
	release 3.2!).  This is a well done piece of documentation,
	although it focuses on character devices and glosses over the
	issues in disk and tape drivers (they suggest finding a guru).

	"The Guide to Writing a UNIX Device Driver" from Creare.
	Mail path is: creare:rutgers!princeton!dartvax!creare!%s
	I didn't check this out yet, but it sounds promising.

	For SCSI info there is the spec itself from ANSI, and an
	article in Byte, May and June 1986, Ciarcia's Circuit
	Cellar "Adding SCSI to the SB180 Computer".

Thank you to the following thoughtful people:

		Larry McVoy
		Sam Cramer
		David S. Hayes
		Tom Kessler