[comp.periphs] Fuji Super Eagle Problems

browne@savax.UUCP (01/30/87)

I've been working on installing a set of the Fujitsu Super Eagle disks,
with an Emulex controller, on a 780 (running VMS).  They ran fine for
a while, then one started having timing errors on track 1, and hard errors
on track 7.  We copied all the data from that disk to a spare, and now
the entire platter #6 on the spare has gone out. We tried to backup
that disk to another spare (these are all the super eagles).  There was
much error messaging and gnashing of teeth, and when all was said and done,
we had 0 free blocks, where the old disk had over 65,000 free. So, what
I'm wondering, is that since 2 out of 5 super eagles shipped to us, as
of November, 1986 have gone bad, do I have more to look forward to?
I've seen the articles others have submitted here, about their problems -
are there still people out there having trouble with dying Super eagles?
The folks out there that have had them replaced, are the replacements still
running OK out there, or have you had more problems?

We'd like to know, so we can figure out whether we should try to exchange
these for the regular eagles, and just say to hell with the larger capacity.

You can mail to me at ...decvax!savax!browne, or call me at
(603) 885-1082.  I'll call you back, if you're worried about the
toll charges.  Thanks much!

Duff Browne

sherouse@godot.UUCP (02/04/87)

As previously reported in this forum our two SI9761 drives both blew
out - one at 4 months and the other at ~9 months.  For both the
failure mode was as has been widely reported - a practically geometric
increase in bad block count over a few days, appearing to afflict only
recently written blocks.  The fix was to replace the HDAs.  We
subscribed to the myth that we were seeing a fault in some early rev
of the drives.

This weekend the myth and one of our *replacement* HDAs failed.  This
HDA was replaced less than a month ago.  Our replacement is en route
from California.  This makes three in less than a year.

For what it's worth the first HDA was replaced about 6 months ago and
has given no trouble since.  It was one of the first that SI
experienced this failure problem with.

I offer these facts without editorial comment.  When the big eagles
work, we love them - especially in combination with SI's cache
controller.  Stay tuned for more thrilling updates.

- George
<decvax!mcnc!godot!sherouse>

dem@uwslh.UUCP (David E. Miran) (02/04/87)

Recently browne@savax.UUCP (Duff Browne) wrote
>What I'm wondering, is that since 2 out of 5 super eagles shipped to us, as
>of November, 1986 have gone bad, do I have more to look forward to?
>We'd like to know, so we can figure out whether we should try to exchange
>these for the regular eagles, and just say to hell with the larger capacity.
We just replaced a super eagle that died (in the past week).
This drive was acquired last summer (august 1986).
The word that I was given by our Systems Industries repair person is:
1.  Fujitsu is aware of the problem and working on it.
2.  It is not fixed, so replacements will probably fail in the same way.
3.  There is no word available on when the problems will be solved.

If I had it to do over I would go with eagles, rather than super eagles.
P.S.
Many thanks to the net and especially Don Seeley who posted the summary
of 2361 problems.  This prompted me to quickly rearrange our system
so that the root and /usr file system were on our eagle and not the
super eagle where they had been.  This made it much easier to recover
when the supereagle died.  I got everything switched about 1 week before
the supereagle started dying.
--
David E. Miran         ...!{seismo,harvard,topaz,ihnp4}!uwvax!uwslh!dem
Wisconsin State Hygiene Lab    or    uwslh!dem@rsch.wisc.edu

bjb@mitisft.UUCP (02/05/87)

We had similar problems with our Eagle-XP drives. After the first
two both failed, I put them on an UPS (with power conditioner).
I haven't had a problem with them in the last 9 months.

	Bruce Beare

lacasse@randvax.UUCP (02/06/87)

In article <493@savax.UUCP> browne@savax.UUCP (Duff Browne) writes:
>I've been working on installing a set of the Fujitsu Super Eagle disks...
>I'm wondering, is that since 2 out of 5 super eagles shipped to us, as
>of November, 1986 have gone bad, do I have more to look forward to?
>...The folks out there that have had them replaced, are the replacements still
>running OK out there, or have you had more problems?

I installed Rand's first super eagle last August.  It died.  Fujitsu
repaired it (which took 3 months).  The new one has worked fine ever
since.  Your mileage may vary.  Hint: it is supposed to be better
to get an HDA sub-assembly with revision of D4 or higher.

      Mark LaCasse                  qantel!hplabs!sdcrdcf!randvax!lacasse
      c/o The Rand Corporation       cbosgd!ihnp4!sdcrdcf!randvax!lacasse
      1700 Main Street                             decvax!randvax!lacasse
      Santa Monica, CA 90406
	213/393-0411  ext. 7420     lacasse@Rand-Unix

mra@fathom.UUCP (02/16/87)

In article <735@godot.UUCP>, sherouse@godot.UUCP (George W. Sherouse) writes:

> As previously reported in this forum our two SI9761 drives both blew
> out - one at 4 months and the other at ~9 months.  For both the
> failure mode was as has been widely reported - a practically geometric
> increase in bad block count over a few days, appearing to afflict only
> recently written blocks.  The fix was to replace the HDAs.  We
> subscribed to the myth that we were seeing a fault in some early rev
> of the drives.
>
> This weekend the myth and one of our *replacement* HDAs failed.  This
> HDA was replaced less than a month ago.  Our replacement is en route
> from California.  This makes three in less than a year.

Both SI and Emulex recently submitted quotes on a 4-drive system for
two microVAX's using Super-Eagles.  Two weeks ago, both companies pulled
their quotes and removed the Super Eagles from the quotes.  SI hinted
that it would no longer sell Super Eagles in the near future; Emulex
quoted a high mucky-muck memo that told sales reps not to offer Super Eagles.

SI suggested using their new 9744, an 8inch drive with Eagle capacity
(also made by Fujitsu) and higher transfer rates; Emulex suggested staying
with the Eagles...

berger@datacube.UUCP (02/18/87)

This is very scary.  We recently purchased a Super Eagle and a
Xylogics controler to connect to our Suns.  It basically
works fine.  We have had some crashs but we have presumed
that it was because we had been using a 3/75 as the host for a while
and there were some mechanical problems with the 3/75 and the
Xylogics/Multibus adapter.

Since we have put it back into our 3/160 things seem fine.
The only wierd thing is that the Super Eagle beeps every once in a while.
Is this normal?

What should we look out for in terms of the Super Eagle disease?
				Bob Berger

Datacube Inc. Systems / Software Group	4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma 01960
VOICE:	617-535-6644;	FAX: (617) 535-5643;  TWX: (710) 347-0125
UUCP:	ihnp4!datacube!berger
	{seismo,cbosgd,cuae2,mit-eddie}!mirror!datacube!berger

mangler@cit-vax.UUCP (02/22/87)

In article <268@fathom.UUCP>, mra@fathom.UUCP (Mark R. Abbott) writes:
> SI suggested using their new 9744, an 8inch drive with Eagle capacity

I assume this is the Fujitsu 2344.  I called Fujitsu, and they said the
drive is still in beta test, they couldn't even send me a spec sheet.

Don Speck   speck@vlsi.caltech.edu  {seismo,rutgers,ames}!cit-vax!speck

mra@fathom.UUCP (03/03/87)

In article <1849@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, mangler@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (System Mangler) writes:
> In article <268@fathom.UUCP>, mra@fathom.UUCP (Mark R. Abbott) writes:
> > SI suggested using their new 9744, an 8inch drive with Eagle capacity
>
> I assume this is the Fujitsu 2344.  I called Fujitsu, and they said the
> drive is still in beta test, they couldn't even send me a spec sheet.
>
> Don Speck   speck@vlsi.caltech.edu  {seismo,rutgers,ames}!cit-vax!speck

Yes, these are the Fujitsu 2344's.  SI seemed to be willing to pass out
info.  Capacity is the same as the 2351 (Eagle) but seek time is faster
(altho latency is worse - slower motor).  They are still in beta test, but
SI plans to start shipping in April time frame.  I don't know how to calibrate
this but Emulex rep was very skeptical.  His claim is that Super Eagles now
are having defective media problems (original problem was HDA contaminating
heads he claimed).  Since the Super Eagle and the 2344 both use thin film
technology, he thinks the same problem will crop up in 2344.  Could be
a bit of sour grapes towards SI.

lrj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Lewis R. Jansen) (03/06/87)

In article <269@fathom.UUCP> mra@fathom.UUCP (Mark R. Abbott) writes:
>[... long discussion of bad Super Eagles ...]
>heads he claimed).  Since the Super Eagle and the 2344 both use thin film
>technology, he thinks the same problem will crop up in 2344.  Could be
>a bit of sour grapes towards SI.

	  The story i hear from Secure Data (another marketting company)
	is thus:

	  The problems with the Super Eagles is due to the head interlock
	not doing its job well enough.  Seems that Fuji uses a magnetic
	lock on the SEs, which wasn't strong enough to hold in particularly
	bad shipping conditions.  The heads would pop off the landing
	zone, do a dance on the platters, and pop back.  The symptoms
	were an increasing number of bad blocks showing up everywhere.

	  When a new HDA is shipped to replace the bad one, it gets an even
	worse treatment as it's all alone in its box; none of the mountings
	to take any of the shock.  So the problem is suddenly on the
	new HDA too.  In any case, this was supposedly only the problem
	in something like 2% of the disks.  Has anyone here had problems
	with Super Eagles that were NOT purchased from SI?

	  Fuji has supposedly fixed this problem, and it shouldn't happen
	again.  In addition, the 2344s are supposed to be physically almost
	identical to the 2333s, except there are 27 R/W heads, and fewer
	cylinders.

	  Please note that the above information was obtained from a
	source who certainly has (a) an interest in selling us disks,
	and (b) an interest in NOT selling us bum disks, as we're buying
	an extra four years worth of service contract in the purchase
	price (we're getting 1 year free).  I also have no connection
	with Secure Data except as a happy customer (we bought a pair
	of 2333s a little while back).

--
				-- Lewis R. Jansen, LASSP Systems Grunt
					lrj@lasspvax.tn.cornell.edu

berger@datacube.UUCP (03/08/87)

We also have a Super Eagle that has the disease. We purchased it thru
a Fuji distributer. We are having it repaired by Fuji and are "renting"
a 2351 for a flat fee of $1k from Fuji until our Super Eagle is back and
flying.

sherouse@godot.UUCP (George W. Sherouse) (03/10/87)

In article <357@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> lrj@batcomputer.UUCP (Lewis R. Jansen) writes:
>	... In any case, this was supposedly only the problem
>	in something like 2% of the disks.  ...

Hmm...  In that case we must not be livin' right.  We have just
replaced our fourth HDA (on two drives) in 12 months.  Our experience
suggests that 1) they are certain to fail and 2) if they live 3 weeks
they'll probably die at six months.  As far as I can tell the failure
rate is not 2% but 200%.  Sigh...

- George
--
- George

carr@convex.UUCP (03/10/87)

>Yes, these are the Fujitsu 2344's.  SI seemed to be willing to pass out
>info.  Capacity is the same as the 2351 (Eagle) but seek time is faster

Wrong. The Fuji 2344 has an unformatted capacity of 690.10 Mb. The 2351's is
around 474 Mb.

>heads he claimed).  Since the Super Eagle and the 2344 both use thin film
>technology, he thinks the same problem will crop up in 2344.  Could be

Wrong again. Both drives use good old oxide media.

Rob Carruthers {ihnp4!convex!carr}

loverso@sunybcs.UUCP (03/14/87)

In previous articles:
> > > SI suggested using their new 9744, an 8inch drive with Eagle capacity
> >
> > I assume this is the Fujitsu 2344.  I called Fujitsu, and they said the
> > drive is still in beta test, they couldn't even send me a spec sheet.
>
> Yes, these are the Fujitsu 2344's.  SI seemed to be willing to pass out
> info.  Capacity is the same as the 2351 (Eagle) but seek time is faster
> (altho latency is worse - slower motor).  They are still in beta test, but
> SI plans to start shipping in April time frame.

I just got off the phone with a lovely lass named Lisa at Fujitsu, Limited, in
Calif at 408-434-6777, and this is what she told me...

We currently have three 2361s - one of them died and was sent back to my vendor
(Cameron Computers) 2 months ago.  By the time it got to them, and then got
shipped back to Fujitsu, it was Feb 6.  The vendor was telling me that we
should get back our drive "very soon now - 2 weeks".  Well, Lisa just
told me that Fujitsu has lengthened the turn-around time for all SuperEagle
repairs and that it currently takes 90 days from their receipt!

Of my other two - one arrived DOA in Oct ("fault" light on continuously)
and was returned for repair - two months later it came back and arrived the
same day as my third drive.  Both of these drives are now beginning to
pick up hard errors in the same manner as my first drive.  One of these
is involved in a crucial data collection project and is on maintenance
contact.  Cameron tells me that if that drive goes, they can swap in a new
one within 24 hours.  If my other drive fails, however, it will have to go
in on a warranty repair (i.e., 90 days!).

I described this to Lisa, and she told me of a policy that Fujitsu has
established over the last month or so.  For each 2361 in on repair for
HDA problems, Fujitsu will loan out a good ol', reliable Eagle to the
vendor for a "nominal charge".  The vendor then loans this drive to the
customer cost-free.  When the 2361 is returned, the customer returns the
Eagle, and the vendor is credited the nominal charge.  This at least
helps to maintain some of my faith in Fujitsu!

A few other points that Lisa mentioned to me: the current "good" HDA revision
is "D0".  But, *all* my drives say that.  Fujitsu is currently waiting
on a shipment of HDAs from Japan.  And finally, when I said that my
next purchase wasn't going to be a SuperEagle (I'm currently buying two
of the 2.5Mb/s, 337Mb 2333s) she said that Fujitsu has just released
the "Swallow 4", the much talked about 2344 (see above).  It holds as
much as the 2361 (689Mb), is the same size (8" platter) and speed as
the 2333.  But, she said (contrary to previous reports) they _ARE_
currently available.

..jOhn
--
John Robert LoVerso @ SUNY/Buffalo Computer Science (716-636-3190)