[comp.periphs] Review: HP LaserJet Series II

campbell@maynard.UUCP (03/01/87)

[This message also posted to mod.computers.laser-printers, since
 I don't think you can cross-post to both moderated and non-moderated
 newsgroups (correct me (by MAIL) if I'm wrong).]

We just bought a new laser printer, the HP LaserJet Series II.
Apparently it isn't quite announced yet -- the official announcement
date is Monday, March 2.  However, we didn't have to sign anything
or promise to be quiet about it when we bought it, so here is a
review.

Synopsis:  this printer is WONDERFUL.  Run, don't walk, to your nearest
HP dealer and buy one before they get scarce.

The Series II is a replacement for the LaserJet and LaserJet+ printers.
It is completely compatible with the LaserJet+.  HP has fixed just about
everything I didn't like about the LaserJet, made the printer smaller,
and made a host of additional improvements as well.

    .	Based on a new Canon print engine, the printer is much smaller,
	and lighter by 25 lbs., than the LaserJet (although the footprint
	is slightly larger).  It's the smallest laser printer I've ever seen.

    .	The input and output trays hold about twice as much paper.

    .	The output is collated, not reversed.  The output tray is on top,
	as in the Ricoh engine.  There is also a face-up output tray at
	the rear, so a straight-through paper path is available for things
	like envelopes and labels (although this tray reverses the pages).

    .	Comes standard with 512K of memory.  Upgradeable to 1.5M, 2.5M,
	or 4.5M.

    .	Two font cartridge slots.  Yes, both cartridges are available
	in a single page.

    .	Alphanumeric LCD display of about 20 characters through which all
	options are selected.

    .	Serial and parallel interfaces, selectable by menu picks from the
	LCD front panel.

    .	Baud rate settable from front panel display (no more disassembling
	the back of the printer and flipping nearly inaccessible switches).

    .	Fonts are selectable from the front panel.  No more sending little
	magic files to the printer before using it as a dumb printer.

    .	Toner cartridge drops in from the top, so you don't have to leave
	18 inches clearance on the right of the printer.

    .	Fan is significantly quieter than in the LaserJet.

    .	Manual feed is from the front.  No more leaning over the back of
	the printer.

Now comes the best part -- the price.  List price is $500 LESS than the
basic LaserJet!!  List price is $2495, and it's being discounted already.
We paid $1871 (plus tax and shipping), which is almost exactly $500 less
than we paid for a plain (not +) LaserJet just three months ago.

Drawbacks?  I really can think of only one.  The toner cartridge is not
the same as that used in the older Canon engine (LaserJet, Apple Laser
Writer, etc.) so availability MIGHT be a bit limited.  But our dealer
assured us he has them available, and they cost about the same (maybe
$5 more).

One amusing note.  When I first tried printing graphics I thought I
noticed a slight incompatibility (I later discovered that it was
essentially a user error).  Slightly panicked, I called HP for help --
and was told "The Series II is not yet announced, and we're not allowed
to discuss future products."  "But I just BOUGHT one!!"  I exclaimed.
"Sorry, but that's our policy.  You'll have to call back Monday [the
announcement date]".  Actually they were quite courteous about it, and
Monday is only three days away -- but it was rather amusing.

Of course, I've only been using it for one day now, so I have no data
on reliability.  But if it's anything like the LaserJet (or any other
HP product, for that matter) it'll never break.

Anyone want to buy a three month old plain LaserJet?
--
Larry Campbell                                The Boston Software Works, Inc.
Internet: campbell@maynard.uucp             120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109

jules@zen.UUCP (Julian Perry) (03/06/87)

I too saw the  LaserJet  II before  official  release and asked HP a few
questions  about it.  I was also  impressed;  however,  I was also  very
disappointed that what we found to be the most annoying  features of the
LaserJet(+) had NOT been sorted out.

  1.  We use lots of soft fonts because it's not possible to get what we
      want on a  cartridge,  so we download the fonts and then print out
      documents,  letters  etc.  This  is all  performed  by our  HP9040
      multi-user  mini  through a spool  queue.  Now comes the  annoying
      bit......IT  IS NOT POSSIBLE TO FIND OUT WHICH FONTS ARE CURRENTLY
      IN THE LASERJET MEMORY!  This means that for each document we have
      to  download  everything  that it uses as we  don't  know  what is
      already in  memory.  We could  keep track of what has been sent to
      the LaserJet  but if it gets  switched  off the  computer  doesn't
      know.

  2.  The only interfaces are RS232 and Parallel, HP-IB (IEEE 488) would
      have been very nice  (especially from HP who have an HP-IB version
      of  everything)  so that we can download  graphics  and fonts in a
      reasonable time.

  3.  EPROMable font cartridges - PLEASE ?

Having  said all that, the whole  LaserJet  series  (and now the ScanJet
too) are truly wonderful, ours never stop printing.

Jules

--
IN-REAL-LIFE:  Julian Perry
E-MAIL:        jules@zen.co.uk || ...!mcvax!ukc!zen.co.uk!jules

bb@wjh12.UUCP (03/11/87)

In a follow-up to a review of the new LaserJet Series II,
Julian Perry (jules@zen.UUCP) comments:

      ......IT  IS NOT POSSIBLE TO FIND OUT WHICH FONTS ARE CURRENTLY
      IN THE LASERJET MEMORY!

A while ago, I met with two engineers from HP's LaserJet group to
discuss LJ futures (*).  The above issue was the first I raised.  The
response was interesting, BUT, one must keep in mind the commendable
engineering philosophy associated with HP.  Their response (paraphrased):

  "Since the LaserJet family currently supports rs-232 (& rs-422) serial
   and Centronics (8-bit parallel) interfaces, with additional ones
   planned for future LJ printers, we feel it is important to maintain
   a consistent software interface for the LJ family.  Therefore,
   since most printer interfaces (rs-232/422 is the exception) do
   not support transmission of data from printer TO host computer,
   there is no way to CONSISTENTLY provide this facility."

Such a response, from a lesser organization, might be construed as a
cop-out; from HP, I accepted it (begrudgingly!).

My second gripe about the LJ+ (and now LJ II) is the overly stingy
restriction on number of down-loaded fonts, and number of active (per-page)
fonts.  Since no memory should be used until characters in the additional
font were loaded, why put an artificial restriction on this?

This is especially significant now that the LJ II can be expanded to 4.5 Mb.
[Hey, where did we put that dis-assembler and EPROM burner? :-) ]

(*)  One of the other subjects of discussion was the recently-announced
     LaserJet 2000 (300 dpi, 20 ppm, 11x17 max, duplex, $20k).  During
     development, this printer had a *great* "code name"; it was
     dubbed the "JumboJet".  Geez, they should have loosened their
     ties and kept that name.

Julian's closing comment:

    Having  said all that, the whole  LaserJet  series  (and now the ScanJet
    too) are truly wonderful, ours never stop printing.

Hear, hear!

			Brent Byer
			  Textware
--------

Usenet: def.	"Free Speech!!  (one each)"

			credit:  Roy Harper

jewett@hpl-opus.HP.COM (Bob Jewett) (03/17/87)

#            IT  IS NOT POSSIBLE TO FIND OUT WHICH FONTS ARE CURRENTLY
#   IN THE LASERJET MEMORY!
#                        We could  keep track of what has been sent to
#   the LaserJet  but if it gets  switched  off the  computer  doesn't
#   know.

    The version of troff on this machine does keep track of which fonts
    have been downloaded.  There is a command to reset that list if the
    LaserJet is power cycled, and another command to inquire about presently
    resident fonts.

frank@zen.UUCP (Frank Wales) (03/19/87)

}

In article <59@wjh12.UUCP> brent@textware.UUCP (brent byer) writes:
>A while ago, I met with two engineers from HP's LaserJet group to
>discuss LJ futures (*).  The above issue was the first I raised.  The
>response was interesting, BUT, one must keep in mind the commendable
>engineering philosophy associated with HP.  Their response (paraphrased):
>
>  "Since the LaserJet family currently supports rs-232 (& rs-422) serial
>   and Centronics (8-bit parallel) interfaces, with additional ones
>   planned for future LJ printers, we feel it is important to maintain
>   a consistent software interface for the LJ family.  Therefore,
>   since most printer interfaces (rs-232/422 is the exception) do
>   not support transmission of data from printer TO host computer,
>   there is no way to CONSISTENTLY provide this facility."
>
>Such a response, from a lesser organization, might be construed as a
>cop-out; from HP, I accepted it (begrudgingly!).

Well, now; who is benefiting from this decision?

Software developers?  Well, yes, since their LaserJet driver software becomes
simpler to maintain.  And no, because they can't reliably discover the
state of the printer, so it becomes harder to write.

Customers?  Yes, because all LaserJets work alike.  And no, because the
feature set is constrained by whatever interface is the most brain-damaged,
not by the capabilities of the equipment the printer is to be connected to.

HP?  Yes, because marketing a single feature set is easier than marketing
multiple sets for the "same" product.  And no, because sophisticated customers
who are aware of the potential of the equipment get frustrated by what they
perceive to be petty oversights.

Is there another solution?  Yes.  Provide a guaranteed base feature set,
with enhancements which make best use of individual models' capabilities.

Such a solution doesn't affect any of the yesses above, but does
hit the noes.   (Ow!  :~()

And HP have already followed such a path before for other HP product
lines offering multiple communications options.  The ThinkJets, for example.

Now, suppose one of the planned interfaces is HP-IB.  Virtually every
HP-IB peripheral supports some kind of status interrogation.  Are HP saying
that the limitations of certain interfacing standards are to cripple all
possible implementations?

Worse, the same logic also precludes bringing out enhanced models in the
same series with additional or expanded features ("...but this new
feature makes the software interface inconsistent -- let's drop it...").

Yet the LaserJet family is growing and expanding all the time.

It certainly never used to be HP engineering philosophy to work to the
lowest standard available.  I'm sure that is still the case. [:-) -ish]

Julian's closing comment:
}    Having  said all that, the whole  LaserJet  series  (and now the ScanJet
}    too) are truly wonderful, ours never stop printing.

>Hear, hear!
>			Brent Byer
>			  Textware

There, there!					:-)

Oh, and while I'm here, Jules missed a pet peeve of mine -- it would be
*real* *nice* (yes it would) to be able to pop a message of some kind into
that nice big LCD screen to say something about what is being printed.  Why?
Well, our LaserJets are on an HP-UX system with loads of Users, and when
two send output to a LaserJet at the same time requiring manual sheet
feeding, it would be nice to know whose is which *before* the paper gets
fed in.  Just a thought...

Frank Wales	         [frank@zen.uucp<->..!mcvax!ukc!zen.co.uk!frank]
Development Engineer, part-time Systems Administrator and full-time pest
Zengrange Limited.               [You think I'm paid to have opinions?!]