[comp.periphs] sun 3 streaming tape

aad#@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (04/13/87)

I've got a couple brand new HP streaming tapes that seem to work just
fine in a sun3 drive.  They say "600 FT" on them.  Can anybody give me
an idea on just how much I can expect tar to fit on one of these guys?
Can anyone confirm my suspicion that these tapes will be just as
readable on a sun2?

anthony a datri
ad0r@tb.cc.cmu.edu

rjn@hpfcmp.UUCP (04/15/87)

re: "I've got a couple brand new HP streaming tapes that seem to work just
      fine in a sun3 drive.  They say "600 FT" on them.  Can anybody give me
      an idea on just how much I can expect tar to fit on one of these guys?
      Can anyone confirm my suspicion that these tapes will be just as
      readable on a sun2?"

I can't answer your sun2 question, but I can tell you:

* If these tapes are HP 88140L/LC tapes, when you write on them with the
  SUN, you destroy preformatted blocks (keys).  The tapes are then unusable
  in HP tape drives, as only 3M (the original tape vendor) is equipped to
  write keys.

* HP and SUN use different track and data formats.  You may be able to
  move tapes between SUNs, but not between SUNs and HPs.

Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland                                            3404 East Harmony Road
[ihnp4|hplabs]!hpfcla!rjn                             Fort Collins CO  80525

jon@oddhack.caltech.edu (Jon Leech) (04/26/87)

In article <1010003@hpfcmp.HP.COM> rjn@hpfcmp.HP.COM (Bob Niland) writes:
>* HP and SUN use different track and data formats.  You may be able to
>  move tapes between SUNs, but not between SUNs and HPs.

	I tried swapping cartridges some time ago. The Bobcat tape drive
PHYSICALLY DESTROYED a tape intended for a Sun (making 'interesting'
grinding noises in the process). It became very confused and I had to power
cycle the drive to get the tape out. The tape was completely torn off one
hub and spewed throughout the cartridge. Do NOT try this at home, kids!

    -- Jon Leech (jon@csvax.caltech.edu || ...seismo!cit-vax!jon)
    Caltech Computer Science Graphics Group
    __@/