[comp.periphs] device to let LaserJet beep when tray is empty?

dave@lsuc.UUCP (05/11/87)

Our office staff use HP LaserJets for various letters and forms.
They have asked me whether it would be possible to get a device
which would beep when the paper tray runs out. The digital display
on the LaserJet flashes ("11") when this happens. Is there any way
to hook up a device which can detect this and beep? What kinds of
horrible things would I have to do to the LaserJet's front panel?

David Sherman  (dave@lsuc.uucp)
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Toronto
416-947-3466
--
{ seismo!mnetor  cbosgd!utgpu  watmath  decvax!utcsri  ihnp4!utzoo } !lsuc!dave

jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) (05/15/87)

In article <1786@lsuc.UUCP>, dave@lsuc.UUCP writes:
> Our office staff use HP LaserJets for various letters and forms.
> They have asked me whether it would be possible to get a device
> which would beep when the paper tray runs out. The digital display

The paper tray has a little slot in the left hand side that a black
plastic "finger" sticks down through when there is no paper in the
tray to block the slot. I'm sure it would be easy to just use that
black plastic finger rocker-switch to drive a little battery-and-buzzer
combination that you could get from Radio Shack....seems like about
the easiest way...

Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
UUCP: ...seismo!harvard!halleys!applix!jim