[comp.periphs] Has anyone tried the Gbyte storage tape devices?

dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) (05/16/87)

I hear rumours of new tape drives offering >2000 MBytes of storage, using video
tapes or cartridges.  Does anyone have hard information about such things,
and in particular does anyone have practical experience in using them?

We are currently putting together the budget/justification for an enhancement
to our computer system (uVAX's with VMS), and it would be nice if we could
solve the backup problem caused by lots of 600MByte disks.  But only if the
new drives are reliable!

All help gratefully received.
--
Regards,
        David Wright          STL, London Road, Harlow, Essex  CM17 9NA, U.K.

jtk@mordor.s1.gov (Jordan Kare) (05/20/87)

In article <543@acer.stl.stc.co.uk> dww@stl.UUCP (David Wright) writes:
>I hear rumours of new tape drives offering >2000 MBytes of storage, using video
>tapes or cartridges.  Does anyone have hard information about such things,
>and in particular does anyone have practical experience in using them?
>
>        David Wright          STL, London Road, Harlow, Essex  CM17 9NA, U.K.
>dww@stl.stc.co.uk <or> ...seismo!mcvax!ukc!stl!dww <or> PSI%234237100122::DWW

I cannot speak for commercial devices, but I built a videotape data
recording system for storing digitized CCD images (for an automated
astronomical telescope); it stores about 600 Mbytes on a 2-hour Beta
tape, and we are rapidly approaching a terabyte stored.

Videotape is a ghastly medium; with my (low density) storage scheme
the bit error rate was about 10^-3, and errors tend to occur as long
(up to >100 bit) dropouts.  All videotape systems thus must use extensive
error correction and/or redundancy; the "Vault" microcomputer backup
of some years back used 6x redundancy.  The combination of redundancy
and inherently limited bandwidth (single channel recording)
means the transfer rate is limited;
possibly very limited (20K bytes/sec).  Videotape is not particularly
made as an archival medium (at least home tape) so unless you have
excellent storage conditions (temp. controlled, dust free) don't
expect tapes to last more than a year or so, or more than a few tens of
"plays".  "Consumer" tape decks are also not made for extended use;
the heads must be cleaned frequently and replaced every ~500 hours.

Also, of course, videotape is strictly a streaming medium, and
VCR storage is not standardized (heck, even for
_video_ there are 3 incompatible formats) so if your drive breaks
you may not be able to find anyone else who can read your tapes.

However, if you can live with these limits, videotape is hands down the
cheapest storage medium available, both in cost per bit stored and
cost per bit on line (drive cost/capacity).  For non-archival backup use, if you
can live with the low transfer rate, the only major concern is the
lack of standardization.  I would seriously consider getting at least
two identical drives; otherwise, if your drive dies, you
could find yourself in deep s... uh, trouble.

	Jordin Kare	jtk@mordor.uucp