[comp.periphs] Dot Matrix printer recommendations sought

lotto@wjh12.UUCP (06/03/87)

Q: What (IBM parallel) dot matrix (24 pin) printers are thought
highly of out there?

I was looking at the LQ-2500 (Epson), but was told that the physical
design prevented printing in the first column. Is this a severe
liability? Are people happy with Toshiba/NEC/Fuzzmuffin brand
24 pin models? Reply to me directly and I will post a summary to
the net if sufficient response is generated.

AdThanksVance,
--
Gerald Lotto - Harvard Chemistry Dept.
UUCP:  {seismo,harpo,ihnp4,linus,allegra,ut-sally}!harvard!lotto

amir@booboo.UUCP (Amir Majidimehr) (06/09/87)

In article <72@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU>, lotto@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU (Jerry Lotto) writes:
> Q: What (IBM parallel) dot matrix (24 pin) printers are thought
> highly of out there?
>
> I was looking at the LQ-2500 (Epson), but was told that the physical
> design prevented printing in the first column. Is this a severe
> liability? Are people happy with Toshiba/NEC/Fuzzmuffin brand
> 24 pin models? Reply to me directly and I will post a summary to
> the net if sufficient response is generated.

I have an LQ-2500.  It works great except that there are hardly any
programs that *really*  support it.  I usually have to configure it as
the older LQ-1500.  The other problem is that it is expensive.  The latest
mail order prices are around $1000.  With new laser printers getting so
cheap (have you seen the Panasonic 11 page/minute laser printer at $1995
*list*???), it doesn't make much sense to buy expensive dot-matrix printers.
Unless off course you need multiple copies or continuous output.

The problem with the first column printing has never bothered me.

--
Amir H. Majidimehr
Gould Inc, Computer Systems Division

jons@islenet.UUCP (06/13/87)

In article <388@booboo.UUCP> amir@booboo.UUCP (Amir Majidimehr) writes:
>In article <72@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU>, lotto@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU (Jerry Lotto) writes:
> Q: What (IBM parallel) dot matrix (24 pin) printers are thought
>> highly of out there?
>>
>> I was looking at the LQ-2500 (Epson), but was told that the physical
>> design prevented printing in the first column. Is this a severe
>> liability? Are people happy with Toshiba/NEC/Fuzzmuffin brand
>> 24 pin models? Reply to me directly and I will post a summary to
>> the net if sufficient response is generated.
>
>I have an LQ-2500.  It works great except that there are hardly any
>programs that *really*  support it.  I usually have to configure it as

Sir:

I highly recommend that you talk a look-see at the new Toshiba 321SL.
Let me tell you that I've been waiting for a printer like this for a long
time. The paper handling capabilities are some of the best I've seen and
having all of the dip switches replaced for the the LCD front panel eliminates
that gory mess of DIP switches. It is also alot less noisy than the original
321. Also, reading an  Infoworld today, Toshiba is releasing a wide carriage
called the 341SL that will list for $999.

Note: I'm not affiliated to Toshiba in any way, I just am a sucker for
      quality.

Aloha,

Jonathan Spangler
{ihnp4,vortex,dual}!islenet!jons

--
Jonathan Spangler
{ihnp4,vortex,dual}!islenet!jons
	OR
jons@islenet.hawaii.edu

mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (06/15/87)

In article <72@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU>, lotto@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU (Jerry Lotto) writes:
> Q: What (IBM parallel) dot matrix (24 pin) printers are thought
> highly of out there?
>
> I was looking at the LQ-2500 (Epson), but was told that the physical
> design prevented printing in the first column. Is this a severe
> liability? Are people happy with Toshiba/NEC/Fuzzmuffin brand
> 24 pin models?

I have been using a NEC Pinwriter P5XL since the day it was released,
and used a plain P5 before that.  I am 100% satisfied with them,
especially with the new 360 x 360 dpi Windows and Lotus drivers that
are available for no charge.

I used a Toshiba 1351 before the P5, and was OK about it, but not as
happy as I am with the NECs.  On the other hand, I hear the newer
Toshibas are much better than the 1351.

--
< < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < <> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Mark D. Freeman						    mdf@osu-eddie.uucp

neighorn@qiclab.UUCP (Steven C. Neighorn) (06/22/87)

In article <72@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU>, lotto@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU (Jerry Lotto) writes:
> Q: What (IBM parallel) dot matrix (24 pin) printers are thought
> highly of out there?

You might give the Star NB-15 a look. The NB-15 is a wide carriage 24-pin
dot-matrix printer. It's compatible with the IBM graphics printer and the
Epson LQ-1500. With a cartridge, you can get QUME Sprint II and Toshiba
P-351 compatibility. It is rated at 100 CPS in LQ mode and 300 CPS in
draft mode. You can switch type fonts from a front panel switch (print
quality, form length, and print pitch also can be selected from front panel
switches), tractor feed standard, 16KB data buffer, and slots for two
font cartridges. A 32k data buffer and RS-232C serial interface are options.

The printer's retail price is $1449, but I have seen it below $950 mail
order. I have had mine for about 9 months and am very happy with it. It's
the next best thing to a line printer for continuous form program
listings.

Oh, I want my very own laser printer too :-).
--
Steven C. Neighorn                tektronix!{psu-cs,reed}!qiclab!neighorn
Portland Public Schools      "Where we train young Star Fighters to defend the