[comp.periphs] RS232 cable wanted for attaching anything to anything

gnu@hoptoad.UUCP (06/15/87)

I am looking for a "smart cable" which will attach any RS232
device to any other (modulo very wierd stuff) without wiring
or jumpering.  I'm tired of spending half an hour soldering on
cables every time I hook up a terminal or modem.

I have located a $50 "Smart Cable" which does 95% of this; it has a
plastic box with a few LEDs and two switches.  Unfortunately,
while it has both male and female connectors on one end, the
other end must be ordered one way or the other.

I could always buy these and permanently attach a sex changer to
them (configured so it could be removed from the circuit without
getting lost) but I hate to support stupidity.  While the Smart
Cable folks had a good idea, the missing connector sex is just too
dumb for me to want to give them money.

Anybody found a place that does it right?
--
Copyright 1987 John Gilmore; you may redistribute only if your recipients may.
(This is an effort to bend Stargate to work with Usenet, not against it.)

dave@lsuc.UUCP (06/17/87)

In article <2297@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.UUCP writes:
>I am looking for a "smart cable" which will attach any RS232
>device to any other (modulo very wierd stuff) without wiring
>or jumpering.  I'm tired of spending half an hour soldering on
>cables every time I hook up a terminal or modem.

Of course, you really mean DB25's only, right? Otherwise
you need a cable with 15-pin, 9-pin, 5-pin and all kinds of
other ends, any of which can be used. Now *that* would give
you some flexibility :-)

>I have located a $50 "Smart Cable" which does 95% of this; it has a
>plastic box with a few LEDs and two switches.  Unfortunately,
>while it has both male and female connectors on one end, the
>other end must be ordered one way or the other...
>Anybody found a place that does it right?

They do exist. We had a salesman a couple of years ago demo'ing
a printer, and he had one with both sexes at each end. He said
they call them "orgy cables".

David Sherman
Toronto
--
{ seismo!mnetor  cbosgd!utgpu  watmath  decvax!utcsri  ihnp4!utzoo } !lsuc!dave

peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter DaSilva) (06/24/87)

Take 4 female and 2 male DB25s, and a bunch of 25-conductor ribbon cable.
Add a bunch of molex pins.

Connect them like so:

=== ribbon cable
--- single cable

2 copies of:
	DB25P===DB25S===================DB25S
	"connectors"                    "plugboard"

25 copies of:
	pin-----pin

add to taste:
	pin-----pin-----pin
	pin-----pin-----pin-----pin
	etc...

Now, take the 2 single female DB25s and bind them together with electrical tape
or something (kinky). Stick the pins in them (oh!) 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, etc... and
you have a standard gender-bender cable. Stick 1-1, 2-3, 3-2, 4-5, 5-4, 6-8-20,
and so on... and you have a standard reversing cable. You can tape a tackle-box
to the "plugboard" to hold all the cables. This will do anything you ever need
to do with DB25s, and probably a bunch of stuff you don't. And you probably
have all the parts lying around already.