[comp.periphs] Super Eagles?? Not for me! ...

hull@sunybcs (Jon Hull) (07/06/87)

In article <3403@pyramid.UUCP> you write:
>In article <44008@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV> rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) writes:
>>While not modems, the following are also very well priced.
>>
>>FUJI M2361 Rev E (super eagle)		$8600.00
>
>This is a topic that was well hashed in comp.periphs some time ago....
>
>I dunno as I'd recommend the M2361 to anyone at any price.

Neither would I.  We have a Super Eagle with an hda that has been
replaced twice already.  The last time with a ``good'' rev.
In the past two weeks it has started to have hard errors all
over the place.  Pretty soon it will need its third hda.
At least it is still on warranty!

Jon Hull
hull@cs.buffalo.edu

bob@uhccux.UUCP (Bob Cunningham) (07/10/87)

When our Super Eagle rolled over and died last month (21 days
after installation), I swapped it for a couple of M2331K's
that I don't expect to have any problem with.  Nice little
337Mbyte drives, two cost about the same as one Super Eagle,
and you can fit four into the same space a SE takes up.
I'm using the same (Xylogics) controller.

tomlin@hc.DSPO.GOV (Bob Tomlinson) (07/10/87)

in article <673@uhccux.UUCP>, bob@uhccux.UUCP (Bob Cunningham) says:

> When our Super Eagle rolled over and died last month (21 days
> after installation), I swapped it for a couple of M2331K's
> that I don't expect to have any problem with.  Nice little
> 337Mbyte drives, two cost about the same as one Super Eagle,
> and you can fit four into the same space a SE takes up.
> I'm using the same (Xylogics) controller.

An oversimplification is that the 2331/2333s are the 8" version of the
2361s (Super Eagles).  We've been running them for a couple years now
and they work fine, but in the early days of the 33s there were problems
also.  We had a couple die on us and remember sending back quite a few
of the early rev drives when they discovered process problems.  In fact,
a very early rev (serial #43 I think) drive we had is probably still running
(we had to give it back) as process problems only started when Fuji geared up
to full scale production.

I guess what I'm saying is that Fujitsu and companies OEMing the Fujis
just seem to have jumped the gun (probably based on the Eagle's reputation)
and started shipping the drives too soon.  I'd imagine the problems are
dampening out or are over with entirely.

Have you tried Hitachi's DK-815?  525 MB in a 9".  Works fine too and we got
a real good price.  They had problems early problems too, but that should
be done with now.

bob
--
Bob Tomlinson -- tomlin@hc.dspo.gov  --  (505) 667-8495
Los Alamos National Laboratory  --  MEE-10/Data Systems

mangler@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (System Mangler) (07/13/87)

In article <6066@hc.DSPO.GOV>, tomlin@hc.DSPO.GOV (Bob Tomlinson) writes:
> An oversimplification is that the 2331/2333s are the 8" version of the
> 2361s (Super Eagles).

The 2333 is an RLL version of the 2322, just as the 2361 is an RLL
version of the 2351, and the 2298 is an RLL version of the 2294.
In each case, the geometry stayed the same, and the old and new
drives look very similar.  The family resemblance is striking
even back to the previous generation, where they raised the number
of platters (from the 2321 to the 2322, and the 2284 to the 2294).

In both the 2333 and the 2298, they increased the flux density at the
same time that they introduced RLL, to get double the density instead
of the factor of 1.5 gained by RLL alone.

> I guess what I'm saying is that Fujitsu and companies OEMing the Fujis
> just seem to have jumped the gun (probably based on the Eagle's reputation)
> and started shipping the drives too soon.

When our 2298 started getting errors, I was shocked to find that it was
only serial #28.  I shudder to think how low the serial number might
have been on the disk that didn't survive the moving truck...  Either
Emulex sold us a beta-test unit without saying so, or Fujitsu is just
skipping the beta tests.

Has anyone else had problems with the 2298?  I love stories...
(Actually, 1.5 years before troubles seems pretty good for an
early-production drive).

Don Speck   speck@vlsi.caltech.edu  {seismo,rutgers,ames}!cit-vax!speck