[comp.periphs] Printserver 40 anyone?

kmcmilla@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Ken Mcmillan) (08/19/87)

Has anyone had any experience with the DEC PrintServer 40?

I have been asked to look into one for our organization. It is
supposed to tie into your network so it can be used by many systems.
Do these all have to be VAX or DEC equipment though? We have a
VAX 11/750 and an ENCORE Multimax connected to our Ethernet along
with an array of Suns and Micros. Will this printer work with
these. The printer is Postscript compatible and prints 40 ppm.
The printer uses a dedicated MicroVax II as its data print controller.
It has 300 dpi resolution.

If anyone has seen output from one, or has any other comments on
this printer please mail me directly and I will summarize all to
the net.

As always T.I.A.

kmcmilla@ub.D.UMN.EDU
Kenneth McMillan
10 University Drive      143 MWAH
Duluth, MN 55811
(218) 726-7600

phil@amdcad.UUCP (08/20/87)

In article <16@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> kmcmilla@ub.d.umn.edu (Ken Mcmillan) writes:
<
<Has anyone had any experience with the DEC PrintServer 40?
<
<I have been asked to look into one for our organization. It is
<supposed to tie into your network so it can be used by many systems.
<Do these all have to be VAX or DEC equipment though? We have a
<VAX 11/750 and an ENCORE Multimax connected to our Ethernet along
<with an array of Suns and Micros. Will this printer work with

You should tell DEC that you want it to work with your Unix systems,
your Suns, etc. Right now they only support DECnet and probably won't
change unless pressured to support TCP/IP by their customers.

The same goes for their DECservers. DEC makes some nice stuff but it's
of no use to me if it only speaks a proprietary protocol.

--
I speak for myself, not the company.

Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

berger@datacube.UUCP (08/20/87)

I would be curious if the Printserver from DEC will work on a
unix TCP/IP network of non DEC equipment.

				Bob Berger

Datacube Inc. Systems / Software Group	4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma 01960
VOICE:	617-535-6644;	FAX: (617) 535-5643;  TWX: (710) 347-0125
UUCP:	berger@datacube.COM,  ihnp4!datacube!berger
	{seismo,cbosgd,cuae2,mit-eddie}!mirror!datacube!berger

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (08/20/87)

We've got one of these things and it certainly beats an Apple
laser writer.  The postscript implemation is pretty fast.  Things
that I have to stand around and wait for the LPS 40 to blink it's
yellow light on for a while are done by the time I get across the
room to the printer.  The only problem is that the thing only talks
some odd derivation of DECNET so I have to spool all my output through
our VMS machine.

-Ron

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (08/21/87)

> I would be curious if the Printserver from DEC will work on a
> unix TCP/IP network of non DEC equipment.

For small values of "work."  It will coexist on the ethernet
with TCP/IP, but you can not talk to it without DECNET.  VMS
support we have, and ULTRIX support is on the way (I hear), so
at least you get a MicroVax running ULTRIX to gateway from TCP
to the printer.  Fortunately for us, our IP routers can switch
DECNET as well.

-Ron