[comp.periphs] Looking for device to block certain keys on a keyboard

jeff@drexel.Drexel.edu (Jeff White) (08/08/87)

Hi,
  At out site here we have some keyboards with keys that are laid out
very poorly (local PRINT key next to return, SCROLL LOCK next the shift,
etc), which I would like to disable.  I seen to remember seeing a couple
of years ago little plastic rings that could be placed under the offending
key (after it was removed) that would prevent it from going down again
and making contact.  Has anyone else ever seen these advertised, or know
where I might be able to find them.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

						Jeff White
						Drexel University - ECE Dept.
						seismo!presby!drexel!jeff

zemon@felix.UUCP (Art Zemon) (08/11/87)

Bubblegum works great!  I know 'cuz I stuck some under my
previous employer's <RETURN> key and it never worked again.
Funny thing, he fired me saying something like my solution
worked too well.    :-)

Seriously, though, please let me know if you find anything
like that.  We have a bunch of ADM12 terminals with the
<PAGE SEND> right next to the <BACKSPACE>.
--
	-- Art Zemon
	   FileNet Corporation

knop@dutesta.UUCP (Peter Knoppers) (08/13/87)

The simplest trick I've ever seen is a small elastic band wrapped
around the pin of the key-switch, between the key-cap and the housing
of the switch. If you press hard, the key will still operate, but it
wont work when pressed accidentally. (I've seen this trick used on an
old Apple ][ keyboard to prevent accidental use of the RESET key.)
--
Peter Knoppers, Delft Univ. of Technology
...!mcvax!dutrun!dutesta!knop

redbob@mips.UUCP (Robert A. Knox) (08/13/87)

In article <4987@felix.UUCP> zemon@felix.UUCP (Art Zemon) writes:

>Bubblegum works great!  I know 'cuz I stuck some under my
>previous employer's <RETURN> key and it never worked again.
>Funny thing, he fired me saying something like my solution
>worked too well.    :-)

Gee.  We just pull the key off.  This solution is aesthetically questionable,
but it leaves the key stub functional in case you really do need to use it.

It also lets you measure the depth of the gunk that accumulates under the
keys.

							^G^G RedBob

--

Robert Knox	DISCLAIMER: <generic disclaimer, I speak only for others, etc>
UUCP: 	{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!redbob DDD:  	408-720-1700, x287

bob%tut.cis.ohio-state.edu@osu-eddie.UUCP (Bob Sutterfield) (08/14/87)

In article <4987@felix.UUCP> zemon@felix.UUCP (Art Zemon) writes:

>Seriously, though, please let me know if you find anything like that.
>We have a bunch of ADM12 terminals with the <PAGE SEND> right next to
>the <BACKSPACE>.

When I was forced to do my work through a DEC VT220, I became so
screaming mad at the stupid placement of the COMPOSE key that I
removed it with a screwdriver - just pryed it up and off it came,
never to bother me again.  Too bad I couldnt' move < and > and ESC
back to where they should be, but at least I got rid of that one.

Somewhere at OSU there's an LK201 keyboard with a big hole toward the
lower-left corner, in memory of me.  And the DEC Field Service guy
said that he visited a lot of places where there was a similar hole,
and he agreed with my sentiments :-).

Maybe a screwdriver will work on ADM12s as well?
-=-
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
 bob@ohio-state.{arpa,csnet} or ...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!bob
 soon: bob@aargh.cis.ohio-state.edu

lacasse@randvax.UUCP (Mark LaCasse) (08/14/87)

Most good hardware stores (the ones that re-pin locks, will sell you
quantity 1, 2-56 machine nut, etc) sell plastic tubing by the foot.
They have a wide assortment of inside diameters.  I would think you
could slice off about 1/2" of the appropriate tubing and put that
under your keycap, around the key-switch.

    mark lacasse

jeffj@sfsup.UUCP (J.S.Jonas) (08/26/87)

[]
I have some surplus keyboards where keys were disabled by putting a
plastic ring under the key. It was just big enough (diameter) to go around
the post that the keycap goes on, and long enough (length) that the
key would go on the post but not move down enough to activate the switch.

Too big a diameter might cause adjacent keys to get stopped.
Too long would not allow the key back on the post.
Too short would allow the switch to close/open.

It looks more like a washer that a tube.

As Mark said:

In article <1089@randvax.UUCP>, lacasse@randvax.UUCP writes:
> Most good hardware stores (the ones that re-pin locks, will sell you
> quantity 1, 2-56 machine nut, etc) sell plastic tubing by the foot.
> They have a wide assortment of inside diameters.  I would think you
> could slice off about 1/2" of the appropriate tubing and put that
> under your keycap, around the key-switch.
>
>     mark lacasse

Jeffrey Jonas
{ihnp4 | allegra} attunix ! jeffj

adam@misoft.UUCP (08/28/87)

If it's a DEC keyboard try part #0036752. This is an official DEC order form
which, when folded, is just the right size to bung under the 'Compose Character'
key.
       -Adam.

/* If at first it don't compile, kludge, kludge again.*/