[comp.periphs] SCSI/SASI Bus

agnew@trwrc.UUCP (R.A. Agnew) (08/26/87)

Would someone please explain the difference between SCSI and SASI.
Please spare the History. What's the difference in data rate and
protocol? I notice that pins are the same. It would be nice to
be able to use the SASI as the controllers are only $14 at
Halted Specialties.

jjg@walden.UUCP (John Grana) (09/08/87)

In article <211@trwrc.UUCP> agnew@trwrc.UUCP (R.A. Agnew) writes:
>Would someone please explain the difference between SCSI and SASI.
>Please spare the History. What's the difference in data rate and
>protocol? I notice that pins are the same. It would be nice to
>be able to use the SASI as the controllers are only $14 at
>Halted Specialties.

Sparing history (other then SCSI "grew" from SASI), here are some
of the key differences:

	data rate:   SCSI - 1.5 Mb/Sec async     4 Mb/sec sync
		     SASI - ??? (im not sure
			probably around 1        SASI - no sync support

	protocol:  SCSI - has message passing protocol that allows
			  disconnects (during seeks/rewinds/etc),
			  data retries (i.e. restore pointers)
			- supports arbitration for the "bus". This allows
			  multiple initiators and controllers; also key
			  for disconnect/reconnect.

		   SASI - the only message it supports (I think..) is command
			  complete.
			- does not support arbitration.

	Overall, SCSI is a more "mature" version of SASI. Yes, the bus signals
	are the same (both electrical/functional). Thus, you could run a SASI
	controller off a SCSI host adapter, but I don't think a SCSI controller
	would run well off a SASI host adapter. Also, for what its worth, the
	SCSI protocol is "defined" by ANSI and is implemented better by various
	manufacturers. SASI was described by Shugart and its implementation may
	vary between different controllers.

	john grana
	..!rochester!cci632!walden!jjg