[comp.periphs] Replacement for Laserwriters ?

kmcmilla@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Ken McMillan) (09/16/87)

 I just finished reading an ad for a new printer from Compugrahic Corp.
It creates it's text and graphic images with a solid-state LED array.
It has an output resolution of 400 dpi, with an output speed of 18
ppm. It prints one page while it sets up the next. It has an Adobe
"Atlas" controller, a user-accessible 20MB Winchester hard disk, and 6
MB of internal memory. It has full Postscript compatibility and you can
load 2000 sheets of paper in it at one time. It claims a rated monthly
output of up to 100,000 pages.
 Their sales rep says because of the user-selectable software interfaces
(Serial-asynch;RS232c;RS422;Appletalk : Parallel-Centronics) you can hang
it off a SUN just like a Laser, no special gizmos needed. They claim where
they have been installing them people are getting rid of their Lasers,
this printer is that good.
 What I need to know find out from everyone is how much of this sounds
good and how much is too good to believe. Does anyone have one of these
beasts yet? How does it handle graphics? Is it as good as they claim?
 As always, if I do recieve any responses I will post a summary to the
net. If you would prefer to post directly to the net, fine, I am
really interested in hearing more about this printer.
 I have no connection with Compugraphics other than a potential
customer.

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

ba@pbhya.UUCP (Behzad Alavi) (09/16/87)

In article <31@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> kmcmilla@ub.d.umn.edu (Ken McMillan) writes:

> I just finished reading an ad for a new printer from Compugrahic Corp.
>It has an output resolution of 400 dpi, with an output speed of 18
           Ok, but not the best ^^^                              ^^^
>ppm. It prints one page while it sets up the next. It has an Adobe
 ^^^   this is good
>"Atlas" controller, a user-accessible 20MB Winchester hard disk, and 6
>MB of internal memory. It has full Postscript compatibility and you can
     20MB & 6MB are both very good.
>load 2000 sheets of paper in it at one time. It claims a rated monthly
    2000 is also very good, usually they are in the order of
      200 - 500.
>output of up to 100,000 pages.
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^   mathematically possible; a workhorse!
> Their sales rep says because of the user-selectable software interfaces
>(Serial-asynch;RS232c;RS422;Appletalk : Parallel-Centronics) you can hang
          wow, these are all "extra" or third party features; usually!

  H O W    M U C H    $$$  I S   T H I S    BABY  $$$

I don't want to be rude or insulting, if it is anything under $5K,
well, I'd be a potential customer myself!