[comp.periphs] Looking for a high-quality digital voice synthesiser

tlh@pbhyf.UUCP (09/25/87)

I'm looking for a high-quality digital voice box that can be used with any
System V Unix machine.. preferably, this device would interface to the computer
through an RS-232 interface, but it's not necessary since I'll be buying a
new Unix computer anyway.  Price isn't that important; what is, is that the
voice quality is "as good as a human's" and that I can program it to both
speak and recognize incoming touch-tones.  Any help you can give me with
tracking down "what's available and where" would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Lee Hounshell - ptsfa!pbhyf!tlh			2600 Camino Ramon, #4E700
		415-823-2432			San Ramon, CA. 94583

jgh@killer.UUCP (Greg Hackney) (09/25/87)

In article <2138@pbhyf.UUCP>, tlh@pbhyf.UUCP (Lee Hounshell) writes:
	>I'm looking for a high-quality digital voice box that can be
	>used with any System V Unix machine..  through an RS-232 interface.
 	>Lee Hounshell - ptsfa!pbhyf!tlh 2600 Camino Ramon, #4E700
 	>415-823-2432   San Ramon, CA. 94583

You might look at Digital Equipment Corporations DecTalk Model DT-01
voice synthesizer. We have 3 of them that are used for calling in
to get voice mail on System 5 Unix machines.

There are several standard male and female voices, or you can
design your own. The input is RS232 plain old ascii text, or
you can input phonetically.

DecTalk has an internal speaker, and an external speaker jack. It also
has jacks to attach to a Touch-Tone phone line. It can answer the line,
prompt for touch tone responses, etc. It can also originate a call
and prompt for responses under computer control.

The manual gives examples of C programs necessary to drive
the interactive calls. Or, you can plug a dumb terminal into it
and just type sentences for fun.

Price...I think around $2,500.

I wrote some C programs that interface the standard unix mail
files so users can get their mail via the phone from home, but
I have always toyed with the idea of hooking one to a home alarm
system via a PC, you know, something like, "Greg! There is a car
coming up the driveway". I can hardly wait for the voice recognition
technology to be better developed.

--
Greg Hackney
Southwestern Bell Telephone Co.

wheels@mks.UUCP (09/26/87)

In article <2138@pbhyf.UUCP>, tlh@pbhyf.UUCP (Lee Hounshell) writes:
> I'm looking for a high-quality digital voice box
> Price isn't that important; what is, is that the
> voice quality is "as good as a human's" and that I can program it to both
> speak and recognize incoming touch-tones.
>
> Lee Hounshell - ptsfa!pbhyf!tlh

I think you would find DECTalk, from DIGITAL, to your liking. I've
lost track of it, but it had what you want a couple of years ago,
and I hear it's been improved since then. I'm glad you have a
price-is-no-object attitude -- I think it was fairly expensive.
--
     ll  // // ,'/~~\' Gerry Wheeler {decvax,ihnp4}!watmath!mks!wheels
    /ll/// //l' `\\\   Mortice Kern Systems Inc.         (519) 884-2251

tlh@pbhyf.UUCP (Lee Hounshell) (09/27/87)

In article <1639@killer.UUCP> jgh@killer.UUCP (Greg Hackney) writes:
>In article <2138@pbhyf.UUCP>, tlh@pbhyf.UUCP (Lee Hounshell) writes:
>	>I'm looking for a high-quality digital voice box that can be
>	>used with any System V Unix machine..  through an RS-232 interface.
>
>You might look at Digital Equipment Corporations DecTalk Model DT-01
>voice synthesizer. We have 3 of them that are used for calling in
>to get voice mail on System 5 Unix machines. [...]

Greg,
	thanks for the info about Dec-Talk, but I've had the opportunity
    to use one in the past, and although the voice quality is OK, it
    doesen't sound like a *person*.. just a "machine" that's speaking.
    For this application, I need a box that will sound *exactly* like a
    human voice.. my guess is that it will have to be digital.  If you
    (or anyone else) have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Lee Hounshell - ptsfa!pbhyf!tlh 2600 Camino Ramon, #4E700
		415-823-2432   San Ramon, CA. 94583

root@ozdaltx.UUCP (root) (09/28/87)

There was/is a product called WATSON that works with DOS
machines. I seem to recall reading that the company was
interested in adapting the box to work under *NIX. Don't
have addresses, sorry. Check out your local computer stores,
they can probably get one for you. I have heard this unit,
and it is amazing. It can also pass/forward voice E-mail.

| Scotty                     |  Adapt - Enjoy - Survive    |
| ihnp4!killer!ozdaltx!sysop |  "Ad Venerem Securiorem"    |

sweet@percival.UUCP (Dan Sweet) (09/30/87)

In article <2147@pbhyf.UUCP> tlh@pbhyf.UUCP (Lee Hounshell) writes:
>In article <1639@killer.UUCP> jgh@killer.UUCP (Greg Hackney) writes:
>>In article <2138@pbhyf.UUCP>, tlh@pbhyf.UUCP (Lee Hounshell) writes:
>>	>I'm looking for a high-quality digital voice box that can be
>>	>used with any System V Unix machine..  through an RS-232 interface.
>>
>>You might look at Digital Equipment Corporations DecTalk Model DT-01
>>voice synthesizer. We have 3 of them that are used for calling in
>>to get voice mail on System 5 Unix machines. [...]
>
>Greg,
 ..edited..
>    For this application, I need a box that will sound *exactly* like a
>    human voice..
>
>Lee Hounshell - ptsfa!pbhyf!tlh 2600 Camino Ramon, #4E700
>		415-823-2432   San Ramon, CA. 94583

Lee,

Give TI a call.  A few years back I rember seeing a demo system they had
at a trade show.  It used an LPC speech system that they built.  The thing
basically 'played' back pre-recored and digitized speech.  The phrases
(could be anything, including custom stuff) were digitally recorded,
processed to remove un-needed patterns, and then compressed.  When
played back, you could not tell it from the real thing (because it was!)

OKI semiconductor also had a system that was similar, but I don't know if
they still are in the speech game.

Yet another source...National Semiconductor also was into speech systems,
although all I ever saw from them was chips, and development systems.

Good luck,

spelling/grammar errors | line-eater

--
     Dan Sweet  ...!{ucbvax|ihnp4|seismo}!tektronix!reed!percival!sweet
   "Remember, if a weirdo in a blue suit offers you some DOS, just say no."

jimx@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Harris) (10/01/87)

In article <4325@ozdaltx.UUCP>, root@ozdaltx.UUCP (root) writes:

> There was/is a product called WATSON that works with DOS
> machines. I seem to recall reading that the company was
> interested in adapting the box to work under *NIX. Don't
> have addresses, sorry. Check out your local computer stores,
> they can probably get one for you. I have heard this unit,
> and it is amazing. It can also pass/forward voice E-mail.
>

> --
> | Scotty                     |  Adapt - Enjoy - Survive    |
> | ihnp4!killer!ozdaltx!sysop |  "Ad Venerem Securiorem"    |

The WATSON board is made by Natural Microsystems, 6 Mercer Rd.,
Natick, MA  01760, ph. 617-655-0700.  We have been using this
product with 6300s and have been relatively happy with it.
There is a development package (called their VAR software),
so you can use the recording/playback functions beyond the
telephone answering mode that the WATSON was designed around.
They digitize an analog input, compressing it with a pro-
prietary algorithm.  Output is through either an analog
telephone or through a speaker (the board has a jack on it,
the small variety).  Their technical support is OK, but they
are often very hard to get hold of.

			J. Harris
			ihlpa!jimx

[The opinions expressed are strictly my own.]

apn@nonvon.UUCP (10/03/87)

------------

Whatson used to have an 800 number for demo purposes, and... I found thier
product acceptable, but not as good as something that Vynet has.
I'm not sure, though, if Vynet is currently offering it for sale as a stand-
alone card for PC's or Unix or whatever...

The Person to contact ( I don't know Vynets number, but this is the
                        individual who is responsible for most of the
		        development of this product )

This product is currently in use in multiline IAS systems throughout the USA

Durand Interstellar
(408) 356 3886

Good Luck, Dr Phelps,

Alex P Novickis
(707) 575 9616

--
UUCP: {ihnp4,ames,qantel,sun,amdahl,lll-crg,pyramid}!ptsfa!nonvon!apn

{* Only those who attempt the absurd   ...   will achieve the impossible   *}
{* I think... I think it's in my basement... Let me go upstairs and check. *}
{*                                                      -escher            *}