[comp.periphs] Macintosh 20 Meg Hard Drives

syap@ur-tut.UUCP (10/01/87)

I have just purchased a MacPlus with two 800K drives and an Imagewriter II.
I would like to add a 20M SCSI hard disk, and am looking for advice about
quality, value, etc.

Currently I am interested in the 20 Meg models by Jasmine and Rodime, which
I've seen advertised for $649 and $719 respectively. Any comments on these
units or prices?

					Thanks

					J. Fitzwilliam

Arpa: syap@tut.cc.rochester.edu

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (10/03/87)

>Currently I am interested in the 20 Meg models by Jasmine and Rodime, which
>I've seen advertised for $649 and $719 respectively. Any comments on these
>units or prices?

I just bought the 20 meg Jasmine. It comes with a cable (and a 25 pin
connectory) and between nine and 10 megabytes of PD/Shareware
software.  Total cost including shipping (2nd day UPS), credit card
charge and tax was $719. They quoted me seven day ship, which means
that I ought to see it Monday. We'll see.

Jasmine generally has a good rep -- the biggest problem being that they
got very popular very fast and had trouble with the increased volume.
It looks like they've got that under control.

chuq

Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

Bye bye life!  Bye bye happiness! Hello, loneliness, I think I'm gonna die.

roy@phri.UUCP (10/04/87)

In article <29912@sun.uucp> chuq@sun.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
> I just bought the 20 meg Jasmine. It comes with a cable (and a 25 pin
> connectory) and between nine and 10 megabytes of PD/Shareware software.

	Between all the various people who've got Jasmine-20s here, we must
have about a dozen of them.  The only trouble I've heard of with any of
them is one of the two that I have.  The disk seems to be getting scrambled
and I think I'll have to bite the bullet and do a backup/reformat/restore
on it to get it back into shape.  Not sure I can blame the problems on the
disk, though.  While trying out the latest Servant I attempted to throw an
invisible file called "desktop" into the trash.  I wonder if that had
anything to do with it. :-)

	The newer Jasmines seem to be a lot noisier than the older ones.
The first few we got were almost totally silent, the newer ones have lots
of annoying metalic chirpy-like noises.  Doesn't bother me much, but I
suppose in an office environment with lots of them chirping away in a room,
it might be annoying.  They also seem to have redisigned their box a bit --
the old drives had straight up-and-down vent slots on the front, the newer
ones have slanted slots.  I think the noise change predated the slot change
for, what that's worth.

	As for setup, it really is just plug in and turn on.  We never turn
ours off.  And yes, you do get scads of PD and shareware software on the
disk.  The assortment is very eclectic and the quality varies.  Games,
DA's, fonts, MacPaint utilities, graphic and sound demos, comm/terminal
programs (but no kermit; why not?) editors, etc.

	I should probably add as a disclaimer that the J-20's are the only
Mac drives I have any experience with.  I'm still trying to adjust to the
idea of the Mac as a real machine to do real work on and have only started
to scratch the surface of what there is to know about Macs.  There could
very well be significant considerations about Mac disks that I'm not even
aware of.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016