[comp.periphs] Dot Matrix Printers - request for info

pete@tsc.dec.com (Pete Schmitt) (10/26/87)

I am in the market for a dot matrix printer for my 6300+, but
would like to get some recommendations on them. Particularly
the 24 pin models because I need high resolution graphics,
but I can't afford the laser or ink jet technology.  I don't
want to spend more then $500.  Any help out there?

--
            \\\!///		From:   Pete Schmitt
             _   _ 		UUCP:   allegra!decwrl!tsc.dec.com!pete

mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark D. Freeman) (10/27/87)

In <208@tsc.dec.com> pete@tsc.dec.com (Pete Schmitt) writes:
>I am in the market for a dot matrix printer for my 6300+, but
>would like to get some recommendations on them. Particularly
>the 24 pin models because I need high resolution graphics,
>but I can't afford the laser or ink jet technology.  I don't
>want to spend more then $500.  Any help out there?

To the best of my knowledge, you have only one choice if you want a
24-pin printer for less than $500.  The NEC 2200 just started shipping
with a list price of under $500 and all the features you probably will
ever want.

--
Mark D. Freeman							(614) 262-3703
StrongPoint Systems, Inc.			    mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

brent@rtech.UUCP (Brent Williams) (10/27/87)

From article <208@tsc.dec.com>, by pete@tsc.dec.com (Pete Schmitt):
> I am in the market for a dot matrix printer for my 6300+, but
> would like to get some recommendations on them. Particularly
> the 24 pin models because I need high resolution graphics,
> but I can't afford the laser or ink jet technology.  I don't
> want to spend more then $500.  Any help out there?

I have a toshiba p351-2 and love it.  I paid ~1200 for it including
forms tractor a year ago.  No problems whatsoever.  It, along with the
Epson LQ-2500 (I think that's the model #) are probably the most widely
supported 24-pin printers, since they have been around a while.  No problem
supporting it through Word Perfect, Lotus (graphics), TeX (good resolution
though a bit slow) or anything else I've thrown at it.

Only problem is that one of the add-on software downloadable fonts I bought
to do the display of the box-graphic characters in letter-quality mode is
brain-damaged -- it maps the characters at the top of the 256-character
set to some nutball equivalents in the bottom 128 characters, thus my software
has to use some nasty font-changing to print letter-quality box graphics.

If I had it to do over again, I'd eat the extra $500 and get a laserjet II,
which is faster.  You can always add memory incrementally with the LJ2,
so if you need more for full page graphics (or TeX) you can add it.

Hope the foregoing has been of some help.

-brent williams 			Relational Technology, Inc.
 					1080 Marina Village Parkway
{amdahl,sun,mtxinu,cpsc6a,hoptoad}	Alameda, CA   94501
	!rtech!brent			(415)-769-1400
--

stuart@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Stu Ericson) (10/29/87)

In article <208@tsc.dec.com>, pete@tsc.dec.com (Pete Schmitt) writes:
> I am in the market for a dot matrix printer for my 6300+, but
> would like to get some recommendations on them. Particularly
> the 24 pin models because I need high resolution graphics,
> but I can't afford the laser or ink jet technology.  I don't
> want to spend more then $500.  Any help out there?
The leader in the 24-pin market is Toshiba.  Their low-end printer,
the 80-column 321SL lists for $749, but can be had for under $500 through
many mail-order firms.  They have the most software support
on pclones as well.  The 321SL handles single-sheet AND tractor
AT THE SAME TIME, can download fonts, takes font cards, is both
parallel and serial, and has NICE output.

One mail-order firm that gives a good price: Harmony Video of
New York.  They  advertise regularly in "BYTE".

Stu

--
Stuart Ericson			USnail:		AT&T Bell Laboratories
USENET: ...!ihnp4!ihlpf!stuart			IH 6M-313

rps@homxc.UUCP (R.SHARPLES) (10/29/87)

In article <1342@rtech.UUCP>, brent@rtech.UUCP (Brent Williams) writes:
> From article <208@tsc.dec.com>, by pete@tsc.dec.com (Pete Schmitt):
> > I am in the market for a dot matrix printer for my 6300+, but
> > would like to get some recommendations on them. Particularly
> > the 24 pin models because I need high resolution graphics,
> > but I can't afford the laser or ink jet technology.  I don't
> > want to spend more then $500.  Any help out there?

PC Magazine reviewed the Toshiba 351, NEC P6 and Epson LQ800.  They
liked the LQ800 NLQ text appearance best but the P6 won overall.
We have P6s and LQ800s around here.  The P6 is quieter and easier to
control.  Both are "Epson LQ1500" compatible which is the standard
for 24 pin printers.  Both require optional tractor feeders.  If you
buy the P6 get the bi-directional tractor, the uni-directional tractor
is a pain and jams alot.  When driven by GEM Draw Plus, the LQ800
prints graphics faster, it may have a larger buffer, I don't know.

Russ Sharples
homxc!rps

NOTE:

The above in NO WAY reflects the opinions of AT&T.
These opinions are my own and the results of un-scientific and
highly irregular analysis methods.

david@ukma.UUCP (10/31/87)

In article <1943@homxc.UUCP> rps@homxc.UUCP (R.SHARPLES) writes:
>In article <1342@rtech.UUCP>, brent@rtech.UUCP (Brent Williams) writes:
>> From article <208@tsc.dec.com>, by pete@tsc.dec.com (Pete Schmitt):
>> > I am in the market for a dot matrix printer for my 6300+, but
>> > would like to get some recommendations on them. Particularly
>> > the 24 pin models because I need high resolution graphics,
>> > but I can't afford the laser or ink jet technology.  I don't
>> > want to spend more then $500.  Any help out there?
>PC Magazine reviewed the Toshiba 351, NEC P6 and Epson LQ800.  They
>liked the LQ800 NLQ text appearance best but the P6 won overall.
>We have P6s and LQ800s around here.  The P6 is quieter and easier to
>control.

Well, I've been doing a similar search and have pretty much settled
on the P6 (tho', the Toshiba 351 looks good too)

Note that the PC Magazine reviewed the P9, not the P6.

Why didn't the PC Magazine review list the Most Important Spec ??
(resolution in dots-per-inch).  I only know the resolutions for
the printers in the Elek-Tek catalog.  Of those, the NEC P6 is
the best coming in at 360x360 dpi!

Toshiba's are a measly 180x180 or 180x360 ...

--
<---- David Herron,  Local E-Mail Hack,  david@ms.uky.edu, david@ms.uky.csnet
<----                    {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

dave@mtuxo.UUCP (11/06/87)

In article <208@tsc.dec.com>, pete@tsc.dec.com (Pete Schmitt) writes:
> I am in the market for a dot matrix printer for my 6300+, but
> would like to get some recommendations on them. Particularly
> the 24 pin models because I need high resolution graphics,
> but I can't afford the laser or ink jet technology.  I don't
> want to spend more then $500.  Any help out there?

PC Magazine says that the new Epson LQ850 is their "Editors Choice" for a
mid-priced printer (11/10/87, page 275). The new 850 model includes a tractor
feed, prints faster, and can also print individual sheets without completely
removing the tractor pin-feed paper! Retail is $799 but mail-order discounting
brings it down into the $450-500 range.

Dave Lindsay   mtuxo!dave