[comp.periphs] Miniscribe 3425 with RLL?

km@emory.uucp (Ken Mandelberg) (12/28/87)

Does anyone know if I can use a Miniscribe 3425 disk
drive with an RLL controller?

More generally what distinguishes st506/412 disks that
can be used with RLL from those that can't? Is it just
that RLL drives have been tested at tighter specs?
--
Ken Mandelberg      |  {decvax,sun!sunatl,gatech}!emory!km  UUCP
Emory University    |  km@emory                             BITNET

dpbaudra@ihlpe.ATT.COM (452is-Braune) (01/04/88)

In article <2429@emory.uucp> km@emory.uucp (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
>Does anyone know if I can use a Miniscribe 3425 disk
>drive with an RLL controller?

I've had one running that way about 6 mos. with no noticeable problems; HOWEVER,
I recently backed it up, did a low level format, and tried to reformat with
MS-DOS 3.2 R2.02 on my PC6300 and have been unsuccessful in reformatting (FAT
problem). I able to use the 3425 normally as a 20MB drive with my WD RLL
cntrlr running as an MFM cntrlr. Most info on the net has said don't try the RLL
config and I tend to agree. WD told me that in certain circumstance physical
damage to the disk can result.

--

Dave Braune, AT&T - Data Systems Group, IW 2Z330, 1-312-979-7829
uucp: ihnp4!ihlpe!dpbaudra			      8-367-7829