[comp.periphs] HP Laserjet II

dhc@a.UUCP (Dave Carter) (01/13/88)

anyone know the best (cheapest) place to get an hp laserjet II (mail
order or otherwise) (or anybody selling one?)

also, anybody have any problems with these printers?  all i've heard
about them so far has been good.

please send e-mail, and i'll summarize, if interesting.

						- dave

dhc@lanl.gov

dehart@tl-vaxa.UUCP (Ed DeHart) (01/27/88)

> anyone know the best (cheapest) place to get an hp laserjet II (mail
> order or otherwise) (or anybody selling one?)

	D & K Electronics
	412-422-3733

> also, anybody have any problems with these printers?  all i've heard
> about them so far has been good.

	We have two of them.  One connected to a Microvax and the other
to an AT clone.  I just upgraded the RAM from 512K to 4.5 megabytes on each
unit.  All is well and we are happy.

	Ed DeHart

pls@sortac.UUCP (Pat Sullivan) (01/28/88)

In article <243@tl-vaxa.UUCP> dehart@tl-vaxa.UUCP (Ed DeHart) writes:
>  . . .  I just upgraded the RAM from 512K to 4.5 megabytes on each
>unit.  All is well and we are happy.
>	Ed DeHart

We would like to upgrade the memory on ours, but the best price we found
is a bit steep (teens of hundreds).

	How much did your upgrade cost?

	Is it a complete kit (i.e., can a typical knuckle-dragger do it)?

	Where did you buy it?

I know - I ask too many questions, but thanks in advance for whatever you
can answer.

Pat Sullivan - {gatech|akgua|ihnp4}!sortac!pls - voice 404-257-7382

pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) (01/29/88)

In article <240@sortac.UUCP>, pls@sortac.UUCP (Pat Sullivan) writes:
> In article <243@tl-vaxa.UUCP> dehart@tl-vaxa.UUCP (Ed DeHart) writes:
> >  . . .  I just upgraded the RAM from 512K to 4.5 megabytes on each unit.
> >	Ed DeHart
>
> We would like to upgrade the memory on ours, but the best price we found
> is a bit steep (teens of hundreds).

  Have you considered a 2-meg upgrade (resulting in total of 2.5 meg) ?
  Seems that this should be more than sufficient for all but the most "discer-
  ning" applications -

    greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

rjn@hpfcmp.HP.COM (Bob Niland) (01/31/88)

re: LaserJet-II

> We have two of them.  One connected to a Microvax and the other to an AT
> clone.  I just upgraded the RAM from 512K to 4.5 megabytes on each unit.
> All is well and we are happy.

Mine also has 4.5Mb, but that is a side effect of having acquired it for
qualification testing on the computers we make here.  I am having trouble
imagining how anyone could use more than 2.5Mb (on the uVAX, anyway).

The maximum downloaded font count is 32, and the typical font is about
16Kbytes.  A full legal-size page of 300dpi graphics is less than 1.5Mbytes.
So unless you are also downloading herds of macros (like the entire set of
FY87 IRS tax forms), only 2Mbytes has been accounted for.

On the PC, I suppose the extra RAM makes a great printer spooler.

Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland                                            3404 East Harmony Road
[ihnp4|hplabs]!hpfcla!rjn                             Fort Collins CO  80525

dehart@darth.UUCP (Ed DeHart) (02/11/88)

> In article <240@sortac.UUCP>, pls@sortac.UUCP (Pat Sullivan) writes:
> > In article <243@tl-vaxa.UUCP> dehart@tl-vaxa.UUCP (Ed DeHart) writes:
> > >  . . .  I just upgraded the RAM from 512K to 4.5 megabytes on each unit.
> > >	Ed DeHart
> >
> > We would like to upgrade the memory on ours, but the best price we found
> > is a bit steep (teens of hundreds).
> >
>   Have you considered a 2-meg upgrade (resulting in total of 2.5 meg) ?
>   Seems that this should be more than sufficient for all but the most "discer-
>   ning" applications -
>
>     greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

We purchased the HP Laserjet series II and RAM upgrade from:
	D & K Electronics, Pittsburgh, Pa.  (412) 422-3733
The RAM upgrade was around $1200.00 for the four meg board.  Since we were
planning to print a lot of graphics we went for the full RAM upgrade.

It was very easy to install.  Anyone should be able to do the upgrade in a
few minutes.