[comp.periphs] Information wanted on CDC 9720 disks

jbs@eddie.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) (01/29/88)

I'm interested in hearing about reliability, or whatever other
problems I might encounter with these devices.  I am most interested
in the 9720-850 (851MB), but if you know anything about the earlier
(lower density) variations, please share your experiences.

Jeff Siegal

mangler@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Don Speck) (02/09/88)

In article <7985@eddie.MIT.EDU>, jbs@eddie.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) writes:
> problems I might encounter with these devices.  I am most interested
> in the 9720-850 (851MB), but if you know anything about the earlier

Has anyone actually received one yet??

We ordered a 9720-850 in October from Kierulff, promised to arrive
before Thanksgiving.  That date passed, and they revised the estimate
to December 31.  (George Goble told me that all 850's were recalled
off the shipping dock for excessive seek errors).  That date passed,
they said "end of January", that passed, and then they said the drives
had been recalled *again* and we might get ours in March.

I *want* CDC to take all the time it takes to make the drive reliable,
I just wish somebody would tell me the truth about when I'm going to
get one!  I can't plan anything under these circumstances.

Don Speck   speck@vlsi.caltech.edu  {amdahl,ames!elroy}!cit-vax!speck

ddickey@como.lake.eta.com (Dan A. Dickey) (02/15/88)

In article <5389@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> mangler@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Don Speck) writes:
>In article <7985@eddie.MIT.EDU>, jbs@eddie.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) writes:
>> problems I might encounter with these devices.  I am most interested
>> in the 9720-850 (851MB), but if you know anything about the earlier
>
>Has anyone actually received one yet??

We have several (more than 2) of the CDC 9720-1230 (1.2 GBytes) in house
here for testing....VERY NICE drives.   I have had absolutely no problems
with them.  They are definately worth whatever wait you have to go through.
	-Dan A. Dickey
--
Dan A. Dickey	ddickey@eta.com