[comp.periphs] multi-bin feeder for laser printers

berger@datacube.UUCP (04/06/88)

Does anyone know of a multi-bin sheet feeder for the LaserWriter II
(or any laser printer for that matter)?

This would be a contraption with several (like 5) paper bins that can
be used instead of the standard paper bin of the LaserWriter. Software
would be able to select which bin to feed from...

Please send responses by email.
			Thanks,
				Bob Berger

Datacube Inc. Systems / Software Group	4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma 01960
VOICE:	617-535-6644;	FAX: (617) 535-5643;  TWX: (710) 347-0125
UUCP:	berger@datacube.COM,  rutgers!datacube!berger, ihnp4!datacube!berger
	{cbosgd,cuae2,mit-eddie}!mirror!datacube!berger

wb8foz@cucstud.UUCP (David Lesher) (04/13/88)

--
In article <104400014@datacube>, berger@datacube.UUCP writes:
> Does anyone know of a multi-bin sheet feeder for the LaserWriter II
> (or any laser printer for that matter)?
.
This is a sore point with me. I have looked in vain for years
for a laser printer with the features of a Royal aka Mita copy
machine. That is to say:
	Multiple paper trays
AND	ability to sense when a SPECIFIC tray is loaded, and
	complain when it is needed and not there.

In other words, you request a 11x17 copy. It says, hey bud, I
need the 11x17 paper tray. You plug it in. It works.
In order to be useful in a law office, the printer needs at
least 4 trays: Letterhead_1, Letterhead_2, Redline, and
envelopes. The same manufacturers that promote their products
for use in shared/network enviroments hemm and haw when you
bring up the problem of "what's next in the que?". I have been
told to buy SEVERAL printers (gee-that will go over well)
or buy an outboard one armed bandit that costs more than the
printer.
There are now several printers with at least 2 trays. One of
these is the NEC LC-860+, ($2k) which looks fantastic on paper
(sorry, couldn't resist) but I am still looking for a user to
question. The other is the Dataproducts 1200 and 2600 series
machines, which do offer 3 trays + envelopes. Alas, they are
quite expensive when so equipped. (~~$6k)
Any other suggestions??
wb8foz@{macom1}!cucstud