[comp.periphs] hard drive powerup problems

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (04/12/88)

I've got a Priam 60mb disk which is behaving a little strangely these days
upon power-up.  Ordinarily, several seconds after turning the power on,
I hear a characteristic "boing" which I assume is the heads retracting,
the BIOS self-test succeeds, and my system boots.  These days, it may take
several power cycle attempts for this to happen; more often, I don't hear
anything, the BIOS reports a disk failure, and I fall into cassette BASIC
(this on a 386 souped-up AT!)

Anyone have any idea what's going on?  I'm getting wary of having to shut my
machine down for board swaps/upgrades...
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.harvard.edu

jcmorris@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Joseph C. Morris) (04/13/88)

In article <839@spdcc.COM> dyer@spdcc.UUCP (Steve Dyer) writes:
>I've got a Priam 60mb disk which is behaving a little strangely these days
>upon power-up.

I don't know if it's the same problem as yours, but a few years ago I got
a new 20 meg HD (Miniscribe, I think...I don't recall for sure) which
worked fine on the dealer's system but wouldn't spin on my machine
although the original 10 meg IBM unit worked fine.  (The disks are in
an expansion chassis on a verrry low serial PC-1.)

A few hours on my workbench disclosed that the true-blue power supply was
putting out a small but noticable spike when it was turned on, which was
causing the disk drive to fail to start.  Delaying the application of
either +5 or +12 to the drive would result in a good start.  A "temporary"
bypass was to install a small 12v relay to delay application of +12 to
the drive by a few msec.

The problem was apparently in the drive, since I've since replaced the 10 meg
drive and had no problems with power.

Hope this helps...good luck.

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (04/14/88)

It might be that you have a "souped up AT".  Are you sure that the disk
has time to get ready before the AT tries to boot from it?

			Mike Berger
			Department of Statistics
			Science, Technology, and Society
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

abcscnge@csuna.UUCP (Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl) (04/15/88)

In article <839@spdcc.COM> dyer@spdcc.UUCP (Steve Dyer) writes:
>I've got a Priam 60mb disk which is behaving a little strangely these days
>upon power-up.  Ordinarily, several seconds after turning the power on,
>I hear a characteristic "boing" which I assume is the heads retracting,
>the BIOS self-test succeeds, and my system boots.

My parents have a similar problem on an generic XT clone at home (we are
talking truly generic... no nameplates anywhere, the only BIOS signature
I can find is "DNA" -- appropriate for a clone, no?).  On a cold boot,
and ONLY on a cold boot, the system powers up, does the meory test,
whirrs for a while, and either hangs, or returns a 1701 (HD) error.
A CTRL-ALT-DEL or hitting the big red switch solves the problem, and
then it is fine for the rest of the session.  Any ideas what this is?

I know that 1701 is a HD error, but what exactly does it signify?
Incidentally, my parents have the (I think good) habit of parking the
disk before powering down.

Thanks in advance...

--
Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl
UUCP:  ...!ihnp4!csun!csuna!abcscnge

las@apr.UUCP (Larry Shurr) (04/20/88)

In article <1142@csuna.UUCP> abcscnge@csuna.UUCP (Scott "The Pseudo Hacker" Neugroschl) writes:
>In article <839@spdcc.COM> dyer@spdcc.UUCP (Steve Dyer) writes:
>>I've got a Priam 60mb disk which is behaving a little strangely these days
>>upon power-up.  Ordinarily, several seconds after turning the power on,
>>I hear a characteristic "boing" which I assume is the heads retracting,
>>the BIOS self-test succeeds, and my system boots.

>My parents have a similar problem on an generic XT clone at home...
<Hangs or returns 1701 (HD) error on cold boot.  Big red switch cures
with further difficulty>

>I know that 1701 is a HD error, but what exactly does it signify?
>Incidentally, my parents have the (I think good) habit of parking the
>disk before powering down.

I speculate that the BIOS may not be waiting long enough for the initial
recalibrate operation to complete before attempting to boot.  These small
disks have "open-loop" positioning in which the hardware and software
can't tell where the heads are over the disk surface unless they are
over track (or cylinder if you prefer) 0 where a 'track zero sensor'
is activated which gives us a signal we can read on the interface.  To
know where the heads are, we must keep track after issuing a recalibrate
command to get the heads safely to zero.  The recalibrate works by
stepping the head slowly towards the outer edge until track zero is
reached.  This is done slowly so that the head assembly and carriage will
not ram the stop which keeps them from moving off the working surface
of the drive platters, which might otherwise cause mechanical damage to
the drive.  Since your parents routinely park the heads, they are also
maximizing the recal time.  Rigging up a reset switch and/or getting a
revised BIOS which allows more time for the recal would be a good idea
as using the big red switch (I assume you mean powering down and then
back up) is negating anything gained by parking the heads in the first
place - they might as well not park the heads except when moving the
machine as it stands right now.

regards, Larry
--
Who: Larry A. Shurr (cbosgd!osu-cis!apr!las or try {cbosgd,ihnp4}!cbcp1!las)
What: "The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."

olapw@olgb1.oliv.co.uk (Tony Walton) (04/26/88)

We had the same problem with a 300Mb ESDI from Priam (Priam 638),
attached to a 3B2/600 via a SCSI and the AT&T SCSI/ESDI bridge
controller.  On powerup, the 600 polled the SCSI host and found the host
OK, but the drive interface electronics came up too slowly, and the system
didn't recognise the disk.  Priam have since changed their controller
electronics, and the problem has gone away.

A work-around (for anyone with the 'old' controller ) was to insert a
non-bootable floppy in the 600 floppy drive (causing the 600 to hang),
leave it there for 1/2 seconds (while the 300M disk sorted itself out)
then remove it. The 600 *then* went into SELF TEST, etc, and recognised
the disk when it (the 600 booted up).

--
Tony Walton, OEM/VAR Division, British Olivetti Ltd., Wellington House,
154-160 Upper Richmond Road, London, England SW15 2FN