[comp.periphs] any way to get "no rewind on close" on exabytes?

wyatt@cfa.harvard.EDU (Bill Wyatt) (04/27/88)

In article <2018@homxc.UUCP>, dwc@homxc.UUCP (Malaclypse the Elder) writes:

> we have received one of those amazing exabyte 2.3Gbyte
> tape drives and have it hooked up to one of our suns on
> scsi.  however, we don't seem to be able to do "no rewind
> on close" with the drive (either the driver or the drive
> doesn't support it).

I don't know specifically about this setup, but I believe Exabyte has
a known bug where a command to backspace-record over a filemark will
cause an error, although the hardware manual for it specifically says
this op is OK. The Ultrix driver I'm using (and presumably yours)
will, upon closing after writes, write two tape marks and backspace
over one of them, thus causing the error. The drive will rewind in
this case. However, the tape drive, after this error-induced rewind,
should reposition itself correctly. If this isn't happening something
else is wierd.

The performance hit of this is clearly unacceptable, so we are working
with our controller manufacturer to overcome this bug in microcode on
the controller, and are expecting new PROMS any moment. I believe
Exabyte knows about this problem and should be fixing it themselves as
well.

--

Bill    UUCP:  {husc6,ihnp4,cmcl2,mit-eddie}!harvard!cfa!wyatt
Wyatt   ARPA:  wyatt@cfa.harvard.edu